Frank2104

How Do I USe These?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was given these awhile ago. I was just digging through my tackle bag and saw them. Are they surface lures? Twitch bait? How should I use them on our beaches or the IR inlet?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_8590.jpg

Edited by Frank2104

They look like glide baits. Short jerks of the rod tip will get them to "glide" in erratic directions. Often at the end of this glide is when you get the hit.

They don't have much inherent action on their own, so experiment with your retrieve, preferably while viewing the lures action. I have had moderate success in the bay with them. They should be fishable in the surf. Inlet would be difficult, except during slack tide.

I think generally they are neutral buoyant or slow sinking, though Zara Spooks could be considered a type of floating glide bait.

There is currently a thread in the main forum: Glider recommendation for surf fishing.

Might be some info that answers your questions better.

Frank, I would go on you tube and check out a rew surfcaster's video's, or John skinners or Bill wetzel. They all have vids on how to work these plugs.

Yes these are surface lures that float.  And you do twitch them - while retrieving them with a cadence.  Freshwater bass guys call it "walkin' the dog". We use them for redfish, trout and stripers  here in NC.  I would use them in the inlet but in the back, on the north side by the marina or west of the end of the railing on the south side.  Gray light in the morning and evening starting in May.

Hope this link is not illegal:

How To Catch Winter Stripers On Top Water Baits! - YouTube