PSegnatelli

Ultra Light fishing

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

Anyone into ultralight saltwater fishing?

I've been following a Reddit forum called microfishing and it's been interesting. 

I usually steer to the lighter side of tackle anyways so this seems like a good fit.  

I grabbed an unused 6ft med Ugly stick. Put on a Penn 722z, 14lb Fireline.   15lb flouro leader.   I've got an assortment of small bucktail jigs & spoons. From 1/8oz to 3/8oz. 

I was tempted to go lighter but a naggin voice in the back of my head was saying things about 10lb fluke & 20lb stripers.   Just seems like a fun way get out there.  

Even 2-3lb searobins and scup would be awesome on it.  

Go at it. 

I picked up a ODM DNA Backbay 7’ 6” 1/8 to 1 1/2 oz for similar purposes last month. I slapped another VR50 on the thing, and I swear a feather may weigh more, the setup is so damn light. 

There’s a thread from last summer about ultra light targeting Fluke from the surf. If you can find the thread by the search function it might help you further.

I think I remember that thread. 

It started with a reddit post with a guy catching 10-14in pollock with a trout rod & small metals.  Just really caught my eye. 

I've been thinking about where and how I fish.  It usually is rock piles in the shallow waters of Long Island Sound.  Not bombin casts anywhere. I haven't tossed anything heavier than 2oz in quite some time.  

I could be very happy with a small pocket box and not much else.   I cast small diamond jigs and spoons already. 

Rigged a few up with assist hooks.  

Maybe a GULP or a squid strip.  

I guess I'm just simple. 

As I have gotten older I use heavier gear. Limit the fight time and let the fish go safely. 

I did the light tackle thing years back.

It  cost me more gear and  more fish.

I found it to be an unnecessary waste so I knocked it off.

Today I am older, wiser and cheaper with my gear, my  money and my time.

I’ve also become a strong believer that a quick fight and release contributes greatly to the survivability of the fish.

Nothing better in fishing than watching a good fish swim away for the next guy to catch.

I use a 7 foot, 1/8-5/8 rod, 3000 series reel, and 15 lb powerpro for the first couple of weeks of schoolies. Once the fish get bigger than about 15 inches I put it away and switch to heavier gear. Like what was said above, if you’re targeting stripers, give them a break!

Another point worth mentioning; I fish mostly in tidal rivers, and if the tide is running hard the light tackle can really make things difficult.

32 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Ok, so even if your quarry is size appropriate to UL gear you still drag out the big stuff?

I use UL gear for catch and eat trout :) 

With the state of the striped bass fishery. Putting any more stress on a fish is wrong. Most of the gear I use anymore, a high teens fish is able to make 1 small run.

A 20lb. Fish will most likely be over slot and if you fight it for 10 - 20 minutes on light gear. You may very well have killed it anyway.

Not the best choice under rough conditions, but it can be extremely effective and productive.  All the naysayers will tell you not to do it, but ultimately the decision is yours to make.  Don't discount it if you haven't tried it.  If it floats your boat, do it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

48 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

With the state of the striped bass fishery. Putting any more stress on a fish is wrong. Most of the gear I use anymore, a high teens fish is able to make 1 small run.

A 20lb. Fish will most likely be over slot and if you fight it for 10 - 20 minutes on light gear. You may very well have killed it anyway.

I am more concerned with the I fish for food group and the head boats killing anything legal than a guy fishing light line or light tippet on a fly rod 

or how about the meat fisherman letting the fish swallow the hook 

Edited by Joe Paranee