JPH

Times Have Changed

Rate this topic

163 posts in this topic

I was thinking back to the 1990s about a fishing hotspot on the cape similar to the canal.

Chatham Light. It had easy access and a predictable bite. Lots of people. Everyone got along pretty well. Parking was not abused. Poaching not in evidence.  Minimal litter. 
Its a different world today.

People got along. No poaching, minimal litter, private property respected no yelling at 1am it got big crowds but it wasn’t a **** show

30 years ago the canal didn't have it for the most part either.Well,trash was an issue in certain areas.

I agree with JPH.I fished Chatham Light at that time and never had any problems.Lots of fish and crowds sometimes but every one was respectful. Met some nice guys there.

2 hours ago, JPH said:

I was thinking back to the 1990s about a fishing hotspot on the cape similar to the canal.

Chatham Light. It had easy access and a predictable bite. Lots of people. Everyone got along pretty well. Parking was not abused. Poaching not in evidence.  Minimal litter. 
Its a different world today.

You are spot on, the problem is widespread. There is also an alarming lack of etiquette out there. 

Many other issues too.

My biggest complaint is with the neophyte, johnny come lately group.  They have no concern with fishing mere feet away from you. You could be there for hours, alone. They show up, and have no problem with fishing 10' away.  When you say something, the universal response is "you don't own the canal".

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

My biggest complaint is with the neophyte, johnny come lately group.  They have no concern with fishing mere feet away from you. You could be there for hours, alone. They show up, and have no problem with fishing 10' away.  When you say something, the universal response is "you don't own the canal".

There is nothing worse than finding a place alone only to have someone set up 30’ feet away in your drift. Occasionally I can talk to them and explain the technique, but too often they are crossing a swimmer right over my line.

Time to move on. 

I yell WTF is wrong with you fishing on top of me when there’s miles of beach, ya don’t fish on top of someone. Then if they no go , I move. Night is a bit different, I always use lite sparingly and turn away from anyone I can see.  Most at night out there on the sand are good people for the most part and usually no crowd. Sometimes people follow the lite. More than a few times lites followed us 3 or 4 miles. We would stop make a few casts and they would be getting closer. It’s inevitable you need to turn on the light to remove a fish and try as you will the light still gives you away. The vehicle of a known good fisherman is like French fry’s to seagulls as well. 

3 hours ago, JPH said:

People got along. No poaching, minimal litter, private property respected no yelling at 1am it got big crowds but it wasn’t a **** show

Other than the herring run back in the peak years of the spring herring runs, id agree. The closure of the herring harvest put an end to that, although the decline in crowds started much earlier. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, ged said:

There is nothing worse than finding a place alone only to have someone set up 30’ feet away in your drift. Occasionally I can talk to them and explain the technique, but too often they are crossing a swimmer right over my line.

Time to move on. 

last summer I was fishing area 51 at the canal for the evening west heading into sunset. the crowd was fairly light. a kid set up on my left, up current from me.

you could tell he was a complete newbie. on one cast, the top half of his rod went sailing along his fishing line into the water. we he did "correctly" cast it only went about 30' at most. however he was casting down current, in front of me. I nicely let him know that he should cast upstream so his line & lure would drift correctly in the current. he got all pissed at me for offering advice. after mumbling to himself for a bit he moved to the right of me and the 4 guys on my right. 

about 15 minutes later one of the guys on my right started screaming at the kid that he didn’t know what he was doing and that he'd kick his ass if the kid crossed their lines one more time.

the kid should have stayed on my left. I tried to help him a little. the other guys wanted to pound him into the rocks. :)

Edited by zak-striper

I have been fishing a lot in florida the past 2 years

Its the same If not worse with the set up next to u or cast net in front of u and if u object get a what’s ur problem u don’t own the ocean

Was just mentally listing all the spots I got run over, mugged and abused last year, and realized it was quite literally all the way around from Scortons, B-gate, RP, Crab Ledge , the rips, all the way back to Nobska. Weekdays even.   Back in the day you were never really "alone", but the......aggression, if you will, is sooo much more a part of the game. New Normal I guess. 

Where's the self respect? Be the freakin' day I jump on someone else cause they got a bent rod, or they caught a couple yesterday. 

Going to have to start hanging out at the Flemish Cap for some peace and quiet going forward.

14 hours ago, zak-striper said:

last summer I was fishing area 51 at the canal for the evening west heading into sunset. the crowd was fairly light. a kid set up on my left, up current from me.

you could tell he was a complete newbie. on one cast, the top half of his rod went sailing along his fishing line into the water. we he did "correctly " cast it only went about 30' at most. however he was casting down current, in front of me. I nicely let him know that he should cast upstream so his line & lure would drift correctly in the current. he got a all pissed at me for offering advice. after mumbling to himself for a bit he moved to the right of me and the 4 guys on my right. 

about 15 minutes later one of the guys on my right started screaming at the kid that he didn’t know what he was doing and that he'd kick his ass if the kid crossed their lines one more time.

the kid should have stayed on my left. I tried to help him a little. the other guys wanted to pound him into the rocks. :)

Just another day (and night) at a51. 24-7 from the day the fish show til they leave.