Help me with solid rings

Rate this topic

PSeggs

This weekend I spent some time going thru my tackle and replacing hooks, rings and whatnot.  

Most of my lures I've been slowly transforming to single hooks.   Loved the Krocodile spoon with the welded rings and would like to use more of the solid rings.  

Does anybody make a cut "solid" ring. Like an open eye hook.   Slip it on, squish it closed and take care of the ends?

2 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

In Southern California, it is very common to replace stainless steel rings on metal jigs.  Here's an example of jigs I stripped, painted and replaced the rings and hooks.

4 jigs.jpg

Yes!!  What rings are you using?

I'm really digging this method.  I'm having a hard time with split rings.  My hands suck and cutting off an old hook and replacing with an open eye is 10x easier on my arthritis. 

14 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Yes!!  What rings are you using?

I purchased rings from surfaceiron.com and ebay.  I tried making some with ss wire wrapped around a metal tube which resulted in a spring which I then cut into rings, but too much work.

I use a Dremmel micro torch and a Harris Brazing Kit.  It takes a little practice to get the heat just right and the solder to flow.  You'll still need pretty good hand-eye coordination to put the solder in the right place one the ring and flux are heated.

harris.JPG

Edited by Mike Mendez

Got a buddy of neighbor with a arc or tig welder?  Just zap the ends together.  Thats what i did on some of my metals.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

13 mins ago, ooeric said:

Got a buddy of neighbor with a arc or tig welder?  Just zap the ends together.  Thats what i did on some of my metals.

Nope.  & I know zip about welding.  

I was thinking of "welding" it with 2ton epoxy. 

I would try the strength test before fishing it thou.  

I tie a rig to a upright post in my basement and pull till something breaks.  

34 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

I purchased rings from surfaceiron.com and ebay.  I tried making some with ss wire wrapped around a metal tube which resulted in a spring which I then cut into rings, but too much work.

I use a Dremmel micro torch and a Harris Brazing Kit.  It takes a little practice to get the heat just right and the solder to flow.  You'll still need pretty good hand-eye coordination to put the solder in the right place one the ring and flux are heated.

harris.JPG

I've got good hand/eye. It's the fine motor dexterity that plaques me.  

If I can hold something in locking hemostats I'm usually good.  

Like if I'm pouring jigs or spoons. I use them to pick up the hooks and inserts. 

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Nope.  & I know zip about welding.  

I was thinking of "welding" it with 2ton epoxy. 

I would try the strength test before fishing it thou.  

I tie a rig to a upright post in my basement and pull till something breaks.  

Jb weld it? Not sure how well it fairs in sw though. Itd be pretty fun to try. Mix a little dab and paint the ends. Lol especially if you dont want to deal with open flames.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

4 mins ago, ooeric said:

Jb weld it? Not sure how well it fairs in sw though. Itd be pretty fun to try. Mix a little dab and paint the ends. Lol especially if you dont want to deal with open flames.

I was thinking the clear epoxy resin. The stuff that comes in the double syringe.  

@Mike Mendez  thanks for that site. Everything I was looking for

Old timers used to use small lock washers when they needed an open ring and braze shut. Cut baloney slices of appropriate diameter tubing to make a solid ring if you're making tins from scratch. (That's the way Charlie Graves used to come) No brazing required.

Edited by SC

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

@Mike Mendez  thanks for that site. Everything I was looking for

He is one of the few that I would love to have a coffee with on the local pier.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

1 hour ago, SC said:

Old timers used to use small lock washers when they needed an open ring and braze shut. Cut baloney slices of appropriate diameter tubing to make a solid ring if you're making tins from scratch. (That's the way Charlie Graves used to come) No brazing required.

Very interesting, kind of reminds me of them inserting cotter pins through plugs as hook hangers.