pakalolo

Bass survey?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Once years ago at the air station at island Beach.  Asked what I caught, what I was trying to catch how long I fished and how many days a year I fished. They said they worked for the state. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the recs under-reported but I believe discrepancies are taken into account by those that perform the statistical analyses.

If the really wanted to do a survey the DEC could add a link on line after you do your salt water registry.

Still would have doubts about how accurate this would be but at least there would be a larger pool of anglers to poll.

One year at IRI in Delaware they had people with clipboards asking about catches; maybe 2017ish.  I was approached as I walked back to my car ~3 times that year.  Never before, never since.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:22 AM, pakalolo said:

One must wonder how accurate the data from the rec sector is when it comes to bass harvest   

Annual, coastwide estimates of total catch, using the current methodology, probably within 10% in numbers, less accurate with respect to total weight.

But once you start to slice and dice the data into states, waves, modes or some combination thereof, they can get wildly inaccurate.  I've seen a few cases where the percent standard error exceeds 100%.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:45 AM, LowEnd said:

If the really wanted to do a survey the DEC could add a link on line after you do your salt water registry.

Still would have doubts about how accurate this would be but at least there would be a larger pool of anglers to poll.

That would be less accurate.  There would be a biased response--some people would answer, some wouldn't, and those who answer almost certainly wouldn't reflect the makeup of the entire bass fishing population,.

Some people would report their fish, and not the times that they got skunked.

Others would like, in an attempt to manipulate the results and thus any future regulations.

The statistical basis for the current survey has been reviewed by the National Academy of Sciences, and found to be fundamentally sound.  Sites where surveys occur, as well as the time surveyors are there--and they are surveying somewhere throughout the day these days, March through December--are coumputer-selected using an algorithm designed to eliminate selection bias to the extent possible,.  Assuming that the population surveyed reflects the makeup of the fishing population, and that the surveys take place at random times and places, it doesn't take too many intercepts to provide a reasonably accurate survey, although more is always better from an accuracy standpoint.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sorry Charles but missing active ports , Ramps marinas hell an entire inlet leaves me quite skeptical as to the veracity of the data   If my area has been missed what others have been also. 

Edited by pakalolo

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

That would be less accurate.  There would be a biased response--some people would answer, some wouldn't, and those who answer almost certainly wouldn't reflect the makeup of the entire bass fishing population,.

Some people would report their fish, and not the times that they got skunked.

Others would like, in an attempt to manipulate the results and thus any future regulations.

The statistical basis for the current survey has been reviewed by the National Academy of Sciences, and found to be fundamentally sound.  Sites where surveys occur, as well as the time surveyors are there--and they are surveying somewhere throughout the day these days, March through December--are coumputer-selected using an algorithm designed to eliminate selection bias to the extent possible,.  Assuming that the population surveyed reflects the makeup of the fishing population, and that the surveys take place at random times and places, it doesn't take too many intercepts to provide a reasonably accurate survey, although more is always better from an accuracy standpoint.

I agree with you Charles, but I also fail to see how a dock side survey would be much different.

In either case, most of us fishermen are liars by nature. Weather you inflate your catch to be a braggart or say I got nothing to throw everybody off or are a poacher, not many folks tell the truth.

Getting and accurate survey from rec fisherman is close to impossible.

22 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Sorry Charles but missing active ports , Ramps marinas hell an entire inlet leaves me quite skeptical as to the veracity of the data   If my area has been missed what others have been also. 

That was true of MRFSS.  That's why it was abandoned.

The new MRIP methodology includes every marina, fishing pier, beach access spot, etc. in the state, and assigns surveyors to them randomly, using an algorithm that weights each area for relative use, both seasonally and during each time of day, and requires surveys to occur at all times, not just nine to five, as MRFSS did.  Missing a particular marina, ramp, etc.  isn't a problem so long as another facility with simiar characteristics was surveyed.  But the way MRIP is structured, every area will eventually receive a statistically appropriate amount of coverage.

I'm not a statistician, so I can't explain it much better than that, but I've sat in rooms when MRIP has been explained numbers of times, and see no reason to believe that when used properly--on an annual, coastwide basis and including all sectors in a single estimate--the estimates are faulty.  And I have never seen a statistician arge that the MRIP data was signficiantly flawed.  Unless someone comes up with an argument that identifies faults in the statistical model, I have to take the survey at face value, because I lack the knowledge to analyze it on my own,

21 hours ago, LowEnd said:

I agree with you Charles, but I also fail to see how a dock side survey would be much different.

In either case, most of us fishermen are liars by nature. Weather you inflate your catch to be a braggart or say I got nothing to throw everybody off or are a poacher, not many folks tell the truth.

Getting and accurate survey from rec fisherman is close to impossible.

Because in the dockside survey, they actually count and measure the fish.

That makes it a lot tougher to lie,.