pakalolo

Bass survey?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Has anyone here been surveyed by any governmental agency regarding striper fishing, catching or harvesting? My only interactions have been when landing bass from a commercial vessel. NEVER interviewed on the beach , marina or ramp. Same for my 2 brothers and late father , a combined 100 YEARS!!!!  Sorry , the data is questionable to say the least. 

Striper survey, no.  I have been warden checked a few times both on the water and at the ramp. 

I have been surveyed a bunch of times bottom fishing, but that is a different topic.

Just not convinced that the data accurately reflects fishing effort and landings on the rec side. Been bass fishing damn near 50 years and NEVER had an interaction with a  surveyor 

I was "interviewed" 3 or 4 times over the years. From what I remember the interviewers were college-aged and it was some type of program done in conjunction with NYS and the school(s). They asked about current daily catch as well as how many days a year do you fish? and how many hours per trip?, etc. Always at Montauk and even under the Lighthouse itself. I doubt they received too much actual info. They "needed" to fill out questionnaire cards to get "credit". Not sure if that's what is being referred to in this thread.

never,over  45years of LIS fishing.  Never had a warden check on land or on the water.  Surveying only by "stripers forever" org.

Hopeless govt supervision of the marine resources.

Connecticut had angler survey. Dont know if they still do. But same as SC said., it was how many hours did you fish. what are you fishing for. how many  days. are you happy. Always collage age, always middle of day at boat launches or state parks. We always lied or made stuff up. 

I have been fishing for close to 45 years and have never been surveyed.  However, you do not need to count every single fish in the ocean to come to accurate conclusions.  I never really understood that until attaining my degrees and working in jobs such as an Industrial Engineer and a systems/data analyst where the answer isn't obvious and you have to perform an analysis that may consist of looking for patterns, trends, disconnects, etc., to come to a reasonable conclusion.  Were we able to count every single bass in the 80s to know there was a crash?  Of course not but we were able to come to that conclusion by trends such as having years of poor YOY index and low landings.  I said it in 2011 that we would be here and I know of others that realized the stocks were in trouble even sooner.  I have also been saying this about bluefish and have mentioned that in my letters to the ASMFC over the years when complaining about the poor striped bass fishing and what do you know, they are in trouble too. 

With all the poaching and dishonesty out there, I think we are reporting a lot less of what we are catching, hence we are in worst shape.

Not specifically striped bass, but I’ve had NOAA fishery surveys twice. Both in a parking lot adjacent to an easily accessible inlet.

There simply is not enough resources to increase the survey sample size significantly. That doesn’t mean they aren’t helpful. Essentially all large scale studies use samples that are a small proportion of the total population, as long as it’s randomized and any limitations are communicated, there is no issue with it. It still establishes a baseline, which is what we really need to determine whether populations are growing or decreasing.

5 hours ago, SC said:

I was "interviewed" 3 or 4 times over the years. From what I remember the interviewers were college-aged and it was some type of program done in conjunction with NYS and the school(s). They asked about current daily catch as well as how many days a year do you fish? and how many hours per trip?, etc. Always at Montauk and even under the Lighthouse itself. I doubt they received too much actual info. They "needed" to fill out questionnaire cards to get "credit". Not sure if that's what is being referred to in this thread.

Same thing happened to me last summer in a local pier... they were basically interns for the DEC and he happily furnished his ID and indicated they were all Marine Biology majors that participate in the internship and it runs in every boro as well as Nassau and Suffolk.

As long as he promised and proved to me that he would not publish the spot location and my catches to the general population , I allowed him to "hang out" with me.

Turned out to be a nice conscientious student and ultimately they were gathering data on location , CNR vs Harvesting and Sizes \ Species.

Yes. The first time i was approached by a DEC employee was a dozen years ago upstate in Altmar fishing the Salmon river. The first time I was approached on Long Island at some of my local beaches was a bout 5-6 years ago. The questions were: What species was I targeting?, Did I catch any? Were they released alive?, How many days a year do I fish? Then they asked some personal questions, which I choose not to answer. They were very nice, polite, and really appreciated my time.

Best, Matt

I've been interviewed at a public marina, but very, very seldom.

The interview process changed a few years ago, with a much better system put in place.  Today, the DEC, rather than an NMFS contractor, runs the project, and the statistical validity of the survey process has been improved.  That's been the case for about the last three or four years.