Kml

Dubbing wax?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Did I miss the memo where we aren’t supposed to use dubbing wax anymore?

I have been watching a bunch of you tube videos on a bunch of different trout flies lately.

The absence of dubbing wax caught my attention.
Serious question. 
I still have wonder wax on my table that I like to touch the pad of my index finger on when dubbing fly bodies.

I never ever waxed my dubbing. I keep saying I should try but I can’t think of a good reason to use it. If I can’t get the dubbing to stay on the thread than I won’t use that dubbing again. I’m not a stickler to sticking to recipes just because somebody else used a particular material. 

I seldom use dubbing wax anymore.  To me it decreases the bugginess of the flies I'm tying.  If I'm tring to dub a tight body I would use it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I watch lots of Davie Mcphail vids and he uses wax on just about all of his fresh water flies. He sticks a dime size glob of wax on the thumb side of his lower right index finger so he doesn’t have to reach for it.  He also applies wax to the thread during non dubbing operations as well.  He is one of the masters of thread control. I’ve just tied a couple dozen seal/squirrel/crystal buggers using a dubbing loop and always start the loop with a pass or two through wonder wax on one side of the loop. Too old to change.

Edited by JohnDe
correction to where Davie keeps wax

I'd be lost without dubbing wax . You can't touch dub with out a good sticky wax. If I don't plan on cementing heads on flies I wax the thread first ( not with dubbing wax) keeps the thread in place better, 

Here's another idem ......Who uses hackle guards to protect wound hackles while finishing off and whip finishing heads.

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

Edited by Capt.Castafly

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Here's another idem ......Who uses hackle guards to protect wound hackles while finishing off and whip finishing heads.

I do.Just not all the time.

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I am certain that I have them but I don’t use them.

l see a lot of guys on the videos that sharpen the end of the whip finisher to cut the thread off after finishing the head of the fly.

I am thinking about trying it but I’m not sure it will save me anytime.

I use my ring finger and thumb for scissors so I never put them down. 

18 hours ago, Kml said:

Did I miss the memo where we aren’t supposed to use dubbing wax anymore?

I have been watching a bunch of you tube videos on a bunch of different trout flies lately.

The absence of dubbing wax caught my attention.
Serious question. 
I still have wonder wax on my table that I like to touch the pad of my index finger on when dubbing fly bodies.

Wonder Wax yes

on the index finger yes

dubbing loops yes

Run the jungle cock over the dubbing wax when applying to streamer eyes 

Ive seen when using the natural some  don’t but with synthetic yes most definitely. 

some waxes are better than others 

I always use dubbing wax before I start applying the dubbing material and then sometimes dab my finger during the tying process. I especially like it for dubbing coarse furs and synthetics and also when tying a fly utilizing a dubbing loop.

I never tied with wax until I started tying salmon flies.  There are two kinds of wax, do not confuse them.

1. Dubbing wax - i.e. recently brought back Wonderwax - for getting dubbing to adhere to thread while spinning

2. Tying Wax - different components and not as "tacky" -  used for waxing thread to wraps and material stay in place with fewer thread wraps - a must have

You will find when waxing your thread with tying wax (not dubbing wax) your thread management will be easier.

Edited by DrBob

On 1/17/2022 at 1:34 PM, Hook I said:

Wonder Wax yes

on the index finger yes

dubbing loops yes

Run the jungle cock over the dubbing wax when applying to streamer eyes 

Ive seen when using the natural some  don’t but with synthetic yes most definitely. 

some waxes are better than others 

Best way to make the best out of split JC nails. 

and touch dubbing… which makes the buggiest of flies. 

On 1/17/2022 at 2:56 AM, KidDkivahh said:

I'd be lost without dubbing wax . You can't touch dub with out a good sticky wax. If I don't plan on cementing heads on flies I wax the thread first ( not with dubbing wax) keeps the thread in place better, 

Overtones wax, essential, especially necessary when using a dubbing loop. Also like Kid, use it for heads when I don’t want to use cement, I also do a lot of touch dubbing.

JC