Bill163

Foundation wall crack repair

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

If theres a crack in it.. It says a few possibilities one its obviously a relief and weakest point from pressure. . not sure if its in a frost zone? also wall thickness and type of slump that it was poured with the psi .. how old the foundation is ..what the drainage is behind the wall.. is it on a hill with water pressure  build up... the amount of rebar that went into the foundation..  is there a bow in the wall from outside forces..

a lot of those questions have to be answered before recommending a repair procedure .. 

8 hours ago, Bill163 said:

Has anyone used an injection repair kit and what kind of luck did you have with it?  I have a six foot crack in the wall. Thanks

Edited by Carlezon

34yr old house N Delaware ground slopes away. About three feet of the foundation is above grade outside and the crack is visible there. Can’t feel air penetrating. Crack is about 1/16 wide. 

DA67C251-69B6-45B6-9337-AFDEE6385E18.jpeg

30715CDC-DF9A-4AE5-8C9B-35994AA04B16.jpeg

That right there, a settlement crack that runs along a seam, is the poster child for an epoxy injection repair

Don't skimp, get the good stuff and get it cleaned out as much as possible before injecting. A power washer with an extra fine tip would be the best tool. Dry it out with compressed air

I did this to repair a cracked and leaking poured cement wall in a bank building I managed. Worked like a charm.

Edited by Sudsy

7 mins ago, Sudsy said:

That right there, a settlement crack that runs along a seam, is the poster child for an epoxy injection repair

Don't skimp, get the good stuff and get it cleaned out as much as possible before injecting. A power washer with an extra fine tip would be the best tool. Dry it out with compressed air

I did this to repair a cracked and leaking poured cement wall in a bank building I managed. Worked like a charm.

Thanks.  Do you remember what brand you used? SIKA kit isn't available Emecole and Radon Seal are.

It was 20 years ago, and to my knowledge is still holding

But no I don't remember the brand, I just remember it being EFF ME expensive !

I dont think that is a seam, but a line where the forms were butted against each other. Kind of a wierd spot, typically cracks form in an area where the wall has a point that allows it to crack, like a basement window or where the wall has a jump or step in it like along the side of a hill.  Do you get a lot of water running through the crack and is it in the middle of a long section of wall ? Have you noticed if the crack gets bigger or smaller in changing weather conditions?

Edited by riggler

27 mins ago, riggler said:

I dont think that is a seam, but a line where the forms were butted against each other. Kind of a wierd spot, typically cracks form in an area where the wall has a point that allows it to crack, like a basement window or where the wall has a jump or step in it like along the side of a hill.  Do you get a lot of water running through the crack and is it in the middle of a long section of wall ? Have you noticed if the crack gets bigger or smaller in changing weather conditions?

100% agree that this is where two form meet together you can see the wall ties.  I also agree that it is an atypical spot for a crack.  Riggler is correct on a basement foundation you would normally fins cracks where there are re-entrant corners (ie windows sashes, elevation steps in the top of the wall).  My guess would also be that it is on a long straight run.  The only other thing would be that it was not backfilled in lifts or with good material.  I have seen long runs of wall (commercially with double mats of rebar and piers/pilasters) crack then bow due to early excavation in conjunction with rain/immense pressure on the wall.  The epoxy system should work well, my guess the most difficult portion will be to ensure that it fills around all of the form ties.  I cant quite tell if the forming system was aluminum or steel ply both of which can use flat ties.  Anything Sika is a good product (not cheap).