flyman28

Redfin Rattle Question

6 posts in this topic

I have 4 7" redfins. One has BB's as a rattle inside. the other three have a heavy knocker inside.  In Freshwater we would call it a one knocker like the older Spots before they went to BB's like the rattletrap.  Are these very old?  I have fished unloaded 5" redfins in the backbay for years and they never made noise.  Anyone know anything about these?  The Smoky Joe is the BB rattles, the other three are the knockers

Frank

DSC_0725.JPG

DSC_0728.JPG

DSC_0734.JPG

DSC_0735.JPG

Cordell marketed RedFins-Big O's-Rebels with lead balls within. The stickbait type lures were referred to as "sinking" whereas without swam the surface. The Red Dot's were produced in 80's-90's and really at there best in heavy cross currents. 5 1/4in RedFins were widely available with and without the BB's but I never found the packages marked as such. When possible I'ed carry favorites with and without. Occasionally you'ed come across a plug that swam on its side or spin. Tapping them firmly on a hard surface would dislodge the BB's that had gotten stuck during manufacture correcting the issue.

5 hours ago, flyman28 said:

So what I have are 7inch sinking redfins?  Wow, didn't know they made them!

They didn't. I only remember the 5.5" Redfin in sinking 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, flyman28 said:

So what I have are 7inch sinking redfins?  Wow, didn't know they made them!

Sorry for misleading you, anglers called them "sinkers" as a way to differentiate the two. I believe Cordell called them "Rocket RedFins".

Rebel marked there 5 1/4in and 7in "Sinker"

Cordell's 5 1/4in sinking RedFin was called a "stout"

Edited by XBMX

I put one in a steel pot and the nose went down to the bottom but the tall was buoyant and stayed up.  So I think they are negative buoyancy with a nose down attitude.  The pan wasn't deep enough to fully submerge the entire lure.  These are 7 inch lures