KarpsnKatz

Freshwater Teasers

25 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever tried putting a teaser ahead of a plug or jig while fishing for pike or bass? My search around the webz only circles back to saltwater. Just wondering if anyone ever tried it, and if you have, has anything ever hit it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have great success in the salt- but- NEVER had even one fresh water hit on a teaser.

This includes fresh/brackish stripers.

I'll be checking back for replies also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ice fishing I have.  

 

Swedish pimple or jigging rapala with a small ice fly or jig up top. 

 

Granted I haven't hit the hard water in 20years, but from what I recall, I got more fish on the fly/jig than the spoon.  Never pike but LMB, SMB & trout.  

 

But I like where your going with this.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Ice fishing I have.  

 

Swedish pimple or jigging rapala with a small ice fly or jig up top. 

 

Granted I haven't hit the hard water in 20years, but from what I recall, I got more fish on the fly/jig than the spoon.  Never pike but LMB, SMB & trout.  

 

But I like where your going with this.  

Using the ice fishing concept, it might work when bouncing a spoon for lakers in deep water, if the teaser is also flashy enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never tried a teaser in front of a jig or lure.  I've used them in back of them.  I'd be a bit hesitant to do it for pike.  The risk of losing a lure to a bite-off if it took the teaser is one reason.  Not that concerned about losing a jig.  The other is I really don't want a lure or a jig bouncing around when I'm trying to net or unhook a pike that took the teaser.  Bass, no real concern about a bite-off, but I wouldn't want to have the lure or jig dangling when trying to land or net the bass and unhook it from the teaser.

I have tried it when fly fishing for trout.  I fished a small woolly bugger behind a nymph, but the trout always took the woolly bugger, rather than the nymph.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Philly said:

I've never tried a teaser in front of a jig or lure.  I've used them in back of them.  I'd be a bit hesitant to do it for pike.  The risk of losing a lure to a bite-off if it took the teaser is one reason.  Not that concerned about losing a jig.  The other is I really don't want a lure or a jig bouncing around when I'm trying to net or unhook a pike that took the teaser.  Bass, no real concern about a bite-off, but I wouldn't want to have the lure or jig dangling when trying to land or net the bass and unhook it from the teaser.

I have tried it when fly fishing for trout.  I fished a small woolly bugger behind a nymph, but the trout always took the woolly bugger, rather than the nymph.  

These are good points, especially about the bite offs with pike. Where I fish, they're hard to avoid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, KarpsnKatz said:

These are good points, especially about the bite offs with pike. Where I fish, they're hard to avoid.

I know there are pike in NJ.  When I fish in South Jersey, I just have to deal with their smaller cousins.  I still wouldn't to try that rig with a chain pickerel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philly said:

I know there are pike in NJ.  When I fish in South Jersey, I just have to deal with their smaller cousins.  I still wouldn't to try that rig with a chain pickerel.

Thats some cool stuff. If you don't mind me asking, how are you rigging them to trail behind the lure, and how far back are you letting them trail?  If you don't want to give away any trade secrets, I understand that too. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I described is how I would tie a teaser when I'm fly fishing. Basically, what I do is tie in a piece of fluorocarbon, usually between 18 to 24 inches, on the bend of the hook using an improved clinch knot and tie on the larger fly. I would do the same thing if I were fishing a jig.  Now that I've been thinking about it, you could tie a lure behind a single hook teaser.  Something to think about for the spring.   How I would set it up is tie a 3 inch buck tail teaser to the main line.   I'm still thinking about how would I attach the trailing lure to the teaser.  I tie my own buck tail teasers/flies.  I would attach the fluorocarbon or knottable wire to the hook shank that I'm going to tie the teaser on. By the time I finish wrapping it onto the shank, it's not coming loose.  Then tie the buck tail in.   Attaching it to the hook bend is still an option.  It's harder to tie the improved clinch on heavier fluorocarbon.  Should work with the knottable wire which is more flexible.  There may be other knots out there that I'm not aware of, that maybe stronger.  Just some thoughts on how to do it.  It would be interesting if you hooked two fish on the rig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using dropper flies since the late fifties. The mind set being the fly at the end being the fly you hope the fish hits , Used this in the salt using 2 sometimes 3 flies mainly in hopes of a hit on any of the flies . I got away from it for a while because it was a bother setting up the leaders to drop. Been using it a lot more now a days because I'm using a better system that doesn't require modifying the leader. The method's very simple just tie the dropper to the bend of the hook on the fly already on the leader, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Philly said:

What I described is how I would tie a teaser when I'm fly fishing. Basically, what I do is tie in a piece of fluorocarbon, usually between 18 to 24 inches, on the bend of the hook using an improved clinch knot and tie on the larger fly. I would do the same thing if I were fishing a jig.  Now that I've been thinking about it, you could tie a lure behind a single hook teaser.  Something to think about for the spring.   How I would set it up is tie a 3 inch buck tail teaser to the main line.   I'm still thinking about how would I attach the trailing lure to the teaser.  I tie my own buck tail teasers/flies.  I would attach the fluorocarbon or knottable wire to the hook shank that I'm going to tie the teaser on. By the time I finish wrapping it onto the shank, it's not coming loose.  Then tie the buck tail in.   Attaching it to the hook bend is still an option.  It's harder to tie the improved clinch on heavier fluorocarbon.  Should work with the knottable wire which is more flexible.  There may be other knots out there that I'm not aware of, that maybe stronger.  Just some thoughts on how to do it.  It would be interesting if you hooked two fish on the rig.

 

3 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

I've been using dropper flies since the late fifties. The mind set being the fly at the end being the fly you hope the fish hits , Used this in the salt using 2 sometimes 3 flies mainly in hopes of a hit on any of the flies . I got away from it for a while because it was a bother setting up the leaders to drop. Been using it a lot more now a days because I'm using a better system that doesn't require modifying the leader. The method's very simple just tie the dropper to the bend of the hook on the fly already on the leader, 

Thanks for the pointers, as they have me thinking about a way to rig them up. The reason This idea came to me, is I've started tying flys again after a long hiatus. I trying to get my hand back by tying bucktails, such as black nose daces and mickey Finns, you know easy stuff. Being that I don't fly fish, I came up with this idea as a way to use them. I like the idea of tying them on the bend of the hook, however I fish barbless on my hooks, so that may present a problem, as they can slip off. I did, however, swap out the trebles on my plugs with singles. As another member suggested, I put an extra split ring on some of the plugs to balance them out. I think I'm going to try to find some flexible wire leaders, and hitch them to the extra back split ring. It seems like trailing the teaser behind the plug might be the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about something like that but the main purpose for a lure behind the teaser is to create the illusion of a larger fish chasing smaller bait, in hope of an even larger fish taking the lure.   The double rig is more like offering the target fish a choice between similar size baits so it really doesn't fall into the teaser category.  Did you ever have a fluke take both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

 

Thanks for the pointers, as they have me thinking about a way to rig them up. The reason This idea came to me, is I've started tying flys again after a long hiatus. I trying to get my hand back by tying bucktails, such as black nose daces and mickey Finns, you know easy stuff. Being that I don't fly fish, I came up with this idea as a way to use them. I like the idea of tying them on the bend of the hook, however I fish barbless on my hooks, so that may present a problem, as they can slip off. I did, however, swap out the trebles on my plugs with singles. As another member suggested, I put an extra split ring on some of the plugs to balance them out. I think I'm going to try to find some flexible wire leaders, and hitch them to the extra back split ring. It seems like trailing the teaser behind the plug might be the way to go.

I fish barbless on everything I throw be it flies or hard baits Ect. I as well was concerned about slipping a dropper of the hook. It's been a year or better and haven't had a problem. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not but I only use crushed barbed hooks that leave a bump . Reason being I don't feel the need or the extra expense of buying barbless hooks . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.