recommendation on a smoker

Rate this topic

9 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

The wood will be a matter of taste .. hickory , black oak , pecan .. when it’s this cold if the smoker isn’t insulated you may have to protect the smoker from the wind/ cold .. some cut up ply wood may help if you lean them around the smoker.. the smaller the turkey the easier it will be … 

thank you for the tips .....

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

I use peach pruned from my trees for most things, even beef. If you're still in JC you're welcome to some in the spring, I always prune way more than I can burn. 

I appreciate the offer. Im gonna take you up on it. I havent seen peach chunks sold in the chain box stores. The most of seen was mesquite, apple, and hickory.

thanks again

2 mins ago, vce12342000 said:

I appreciate the offer. Im gonna take you up on it. I havent seen peach chunks sold in the chain box stores. The most of seen was mesquite, apple, and hickory.

thanks again

No problem. Thing is with what's available, mesquite and hickory are good for red meat, but many feel is too strong for fish and fowl. Fruitwood like apple, cherry or peach is very good. I have a friend who ran a smokehouse and most of what he used was apple.  There's a Polish grocer in JC Heights that sell cherrywood smoked kielbasa, it's to die for!

On 1/20/2022 at 1:14 AM, DerrickT said:

Exactly why I went to a pellet smoker

On 1/20/2022 at 8:38 PM, vce12342000 said:

A pellet smoker was going to be the runner up. 

I know some very good cooks that love their pellet cookers.

On the other hand, I've read many times that pellet cookers do not produce the same amount of smoke flavor or smoke ring as offset or gravity fed.

VCE1230... did you look at any other gravity smokers? Did you look at the Old Country BBQ Pits gravity smoker? It's huge and more expensive (and really heavy, over 300 lbs), but gets great reviews on it quality and ease of use. I'm wondering what sold you on the  Char Broil model?

JD

With a pellet grill you can add more smoke profile if you want, you can start off at a lower temp and then kick it up after an hour or two or you can use a smoke tube. I went the pellet route because my wife doesn’t like a heavy smoke profile. To be honest I have eaten plenty of Q and if the fire isn’t Maintained properly you have that dirty smoke taste. Then of course there is the set it and forget it factor that is nice. If you can cook it doesn’t matter how you get there as long as the food is good.

14 hours ago, jjdbike said:

I know some very good cooks that love their pellet cookers.

On the other hand, I've read many times that pellet cookers do not produce the same amount of smoke flavor or smoke ring as offset or gravity fed.

VCE1230... did you look at any other gravity smokers? Did you look at the Old Country BBQ Pits gravity smoker? It's huge and more expensive (and really heavy, over 300 lbs), but gets great reviews on it quality and ease of use. I'm wondering what sold you on the  Char Broil model?

JD

I was researching between the mastercraft & the char-grill. They both are 1st generation for the companies. Seems like char-grill got into the game a little later then MC. They tried to design some of the flaws out that MC had made. So I went with the char-grill. But it had a few design flaws also. But I was able to remedy thru some some aftermarket modifications I found on line. 1 being the silicone flap was getting burned. I was able to fix that thru a place called lssmods. It was basically a SS extensions housing for $80.00. Ive looked @ the old country bbq pits. Very nice reviews. what deter me was its size & weight, & price tag. Since this was going to be my 1st smoking experience. I didnt want to plunk down that type of $$$$ if I didnt like the smoking method. So far Im digging it. 

My next smoke will be jerk chicken 1/4's. going recipe authentic as I can. with just a touch of heat. I love spicy heat. But it doesnt like me :laugh:. Ill have pictures to post of that also...

18 mins ago, Bigbeartroop122 said:

With a pellet grill you can add more smoke profile if you want, you can start off at a lower temp and then kick it up after an hour or two or you can use a smoke tube. I went the pellet route because my wife doesn’t like a heavy smoke profile. To be honest I have eaten plenty of Q and if the fire isn’t Maintained properly you have that dirty smoke taste. Then of course there is the set it and forget it factor that is nice. If you can cook it doesn’t matter how you get there as long as the food is good.

I had pellet grill food before. Tasty. But I love the taste of charcoal more. I noticed that with lump coal I have to let it burn about 40 minutes before hand. Even if its up to temps that I need. I was reading that its also good to burn up to 500* then let it come back down to the desired temps then throw your meat in to get that clean smoke that your mentioning

47 mins ago, Bigbeartroop122 said:

I use a smoke tube with my pellet grill. Works great-