vce12342000

recommendation on a smoker

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Im finally going to break into the smoking game this year:drool:. looking for either charcoal or propane. will be placed on a deck. what are your guys experiences & suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Tired of paying those high prices @ the restaurants :cry:

If you’re looking for the full experience and the most authentic flavor a stick burner is the way to go. Learning to dial one in can take some time but that’s part of the fun. 

It all depends on how much you want to spend ? A Weber 22 inch smoker will get you competition grade ribs as proven by slap your daddy bbq out of California.. the 22 inch will handle at lest 5 racks of ribs … I do 6 racks on the Weber 18 inch smoker with some squishing … I use briquettes with wood , light it using minion method open top vent to let out smoke ( in the north east folks seem to like a light smoke rather than heavy taste) and control temp

by the bottom vents half open and it’s 250-275 degrees for at least 6-8 hours with out touching it … it’s a water / beer bath smoker so the moisture is always present … traegers are pricey and you may not get a smoke ring .. your food may taste like propane if you get a propane smoker … green eggs are heavy ,can crack and are expensive.. you can get away with most coal bbq s if you replenish the coal frequently …amazing ribs . Com will have many other smoker reviews … don’t worry it’s only money..lol lol lol

On 1/15/2022 at 10:29 PM, vce12342000 said:

Im finally going to break into the smoking game this year:drool:. looking for either charcoal or propane. will be placed on a deck. what are your guys experiences & suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Tired of paying those high prices @ the restaurants :cry:

This topic has been discussed a good deal. If you're like me, you could drive yourself crazy trying to dial in the best choice. 

"Mad Scientist BBQ" did a pretty comprehensive 30 min YouTube piece comparing different types by price, size and how involved you want to be in the process.

Here's what I got out of it. These are his opinions, not mine. I don't have nearly enough knowledge or experience to advise anyone on buying a smoker.

• Large expensive offset smokers produce the best product if you're willing to put in the time to learn how to use them and babysit them through the whole smoke.
  • He said a close second for flavor but, doesn't have as large of a foot print, and much easier to use is a gravity fed cooker.
  • For easiest most fool proof proof cooker, but no where close to same quality product, a pellet smoker.
  • If you want to do more than smoke, e.g. grill, bake etc, Kamado style, but heavy, expensive and not the best dedicated smoker.
  • If room and money are at a premium, Webber Kettle for most flexibility or WSM for dedicated smoker.

I have a generic BGE Kamado type. I've spent years learning it. It has a learning curve. It produces good BBQ, can be used as a grill and can do pretty good pizza. It's heavy, expensive, can break, and takes a while to learn to use. 

I hope that helps.

I'm guessing that others that have more knowledge and experience than I will chime in.

Respectfully,

JD

I've used a cheap offset barrel, a 22" weber kettle, a weber smoky mountain, and a primo all in one round kamado.  My least favorite was the offset barrel, likely bc it was cheap, but also because it was the most labor intensive to use.  It chewed through fuel and was difficult to maintain temp due to thin gauge metal.  A weber kettle or a kamado are both fantastic all in one solutions.  The kamado will work better in cold/windy conditions and maintain temp longer.  The weber smoky mountain was very easy to use but less versatile.

If I had to choose only one to start over with I'd stick with the kamado.  A kick ash basket with divider and a heat deflector plate are must have accessories.  A nice offset might be a good choice if you commonly plan to prepare multiple large cuts at once as there is a ton more grate space.

Posted (edited) · Report post

thanks for your guys responses. I bought this. Im going to do my 1st cook with it later this week. following advise from threads. Im going to use lump instead or regular kingsford coals. going to research types of woods to flavor with now 

272005487_613892136538848_8073542768157633324_n.jpg

Edited by vce12342000

8 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

thanks for your guys responses. I bought this. Im going to do my 1st cook with it later this week. following advise from threads. Im going to use lump instead or regular kingsford coals. going to research types of woods to flavor with now 

272005487_613892136538848_8073542768157633324_n.jpg

Congratulations!

What is it? Is it a pellet cooker? What's the make and model? We look forward to your review after your 1st cook.

If you're wondering what to smoke first, I recommend starting off with a pork butt. They're very forgiving, delicious and you can do a lot of stuff with the leftovers. 

I'm following this thread closely because I am going to have to start from scratch when I move this summer.

JD

4 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Congratulations!

What is it? Is it a pellet cooker? What's the make and model? We look forward to your review after your 1st cook.

If you're wondering what to smoke first, I recommend starting off with a pork butt. They're very forgiving, delicious and you can do a lot of stuff with the leftover

I'm following this thread closely because I am going to have to start from scratch when I move this summer.

JD

A char boil 980 gravity feed charcoal smoker-grill. pork butt will be on my list. but my wife doesnt eat red meats. So my 1st dish will have to be smoked salmon or spatchcock turkey 

2 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

wife doesnt eat red meats. So my 1st dish will have to be smoked salmon or spatchcock turkey 

You could pick up some chicken sausages, Italian or whatever and cook them in the smoke.

They'll come out really good and it's easy peasy.

18 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

A char boil 980 gravity feed charcoal smoker-grill. pork butt will be on my list. but my wife doesnt eat red meats. So my 1st dish will have to be smoked salmon or spatchcock turkey 

Nice! Mad Scientist claimed that the gravity feed is a close second to the offset in results but much easier and less work to use.

Can't wait to hear your report.

Funny, spatched turkey and salmon are on my list:)

15 hours ago, Seakarp said:

You could pick up some chicken sausages, Italian or whatever and cook them in the smoke.

They'll come out really good and it's easy peasy.

Yup,

Far & away the tastiest sausage I've ever eaten was smoked.

JD

4 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Nice! Mad Scientist claimed that the gravity feed is a close second to the offset in results but much easier and less work to use.

Can't wait to hear your report.

Funny, spatched turkey and salmon are on my list:)

Yup,

Far & away the tastiest sausage I've ever eaten was smoked.

JD

Its the main reason I went with a gravity fed smoker. I didnt want to babysit the fuel & the wood. Im kinda lazy :laugh::laugh:

7 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Spatch cock turkey is excellent on the smoker … try and keep the chargriller covered they do accumulate surface rust … rd1

Im trying to do a cook with it this week. But its been like 25* daily here in NJ for the most part. Gonna pick up a turkey tonite & start the brine process. Ive heard this are excellent this way. Thanks for the tip on the cover. I just order 1 off fleabay ...:laugh:

why type of wood would you recommend for turkey ? 

thx