stormy monday

Flue liner cost?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have a chimney ready for a woodstove that has been scarely if ever used. Woodstove dude said his guy has to come inspect it, which was thievery - stuck a flashlight and mirror in and charges me $175 to tell me there were no cracks. Anyways they say even though it's fine because the chimney is 8x12" I need to put in a liner (is this true?). The cost estimate for that is up to $2400 which seems like a lot of money to drop a pipe down my chimney. Is this cost in line, or are they trying to gouge me? I had a pellet stove before so it wasn't an issue, haven't had a woodstove since '89 and I don't remember having to do this...

If I was going to run piping thr a chimney from a stove it would be double stainless steel . 

Go on line and price it out after measurements and ball park how long you can do it with a helper . If you can get a helper . 

I would pay to sleeve it because wood stoves burn so much hotter than a traditional fireplace. If your chimney was made for a traditional fireplace it will likely crack from the higher heat of a wood burning stove. 

Cost of liner install will vary depending on roof height and pitch. I did a lot of them when doing furnace installs. Some were a piece of cake, others we called out a chimney company. If it’s a straight clear chimney and roof isn’t scary I would look into doing it yourself. If not get more prices, 2,400 seems steep

I have helped do a couple in the past.....Did one from the top down, did one from the hearth up.

If you have easy access to  the top I think it is easier (that one they had a pipe staging set up). The worst part was making a blocker plate for the section of the damper where the flue wasnt, but not impossible

If you look on the endless river a 25 foot section with cap and hardware can be purchased for around 500.

Even if you decided on renting a manlift to make it easy you should still be half of 2500.

Yeah you probably should run a liner. If you vent a stove into a space that is 8x12, creosote build up will be a lot higher compared to running a 6" pipe all the way out. 

We ran flexible metal liners in our chimneys about a decade ago and materials (30' stainless steel liner, top plate, connectors) were about $500 and then another $100 or so for the pipe insulation. I assume that the prices have gone up a good bit since then like everything else has. If you're at a grand for materials now, $2400 for someone else to do it might a little on the high side but probably not out of the ballpark. 

I'd call around.  They can't be the only place doing that kind of work.     

The days of someone coming out and working for $150 to $200 a day are gone though and it will take 2 people.

Price out the run with sections of Metalbestos that will fit in your chimney. If your handy or have help it could be a diy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gas is almost $4.00 a gallon. The girl making your 9.00 hoagie is making 15 dollars an hour to start. A new truck is 75k, a real truck anyway. A 1/2 ton grocery getter with a dumbass tailgate costs 55k. Material shortages, Obamacare, extended unemployment,  nobody wants to work, nobody wants to teach school, can’t get a new boat…….. $2500 is a fair price in the new world order. 

Edited by poopdeck

I'm in CT, and it is the code where I am. The first job I had done to meet the code was a 3ft chimney extension on my stove insert, A year later the stove had to come out again, and was told the code had changed again so the liner had to be installed.

Estimate back then was $2000. When the job was finished I was given a bill for $1200

They told me it went easier than expected. This was maybe 6 years ago.

Still cheaper than repairing or replacing your existing chimney. And FWIW, I save roughly $700-$800 a year on oil when burning. And my wood source is free