E-bikes at the canal

Rate this topic

clambellies

5 hours ago, BeachBum818 said:

....maybe if there's a throttle.  If it's an assist (class 1 and 3) it's nothing like a motorcycle

Most have both pedal assist and throttle. The push from the pedal assist is as strong as the throttle. Fake pedal around people and throttle when no one is looking. Easy peasy. E bikes are hear to stay IMO. 

I seen an old lady inside Bsp get on one newly purchased for her and her husband,  and hit the throttle by mistake instead of pedaling and she did a wheelie then crashed on her stomach on the road and the  bike went flying.  Not a great site to see. I think there will be changes to come soon so I'm holding off buying one.

10 hours ago, Joe G said:

Including our warriors in the US Military who hunt down the enemy.   

in WW 2, Finnish snipers went hunting Russians with skis. No bag limit.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

2 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Most have both pedal assist and throttle. The push from the pedal assist is as strong as the throttle. Fake pedal around people and throttle when no one is looking. Easy peasy. E bikes are hear to stay IMO. 

I think your right, but there will be growing pains and a lot of off limits areas once it all shakes out. IMO

8 hours ago, BeachBum818 said:

None of the hanging style racks can support an e-bike and only a few platform style are rated for them. Most racks have a 35lb/bike limit. Ebikes typically start at 50lbs.

I doubt that the one I have weighs more than 35 pounds. I've carried it up a flight of stairs, ffs. My wife's is a little heavier, but way short of 50.

They make a great city commuter. Beats the hell out of riding the bus.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

2 hours ago, Tailslap said:

They're the fastest growing bike category hands down. They arent going anywhere. 

4 hours ago, Redhawk7 said:

I seen an old lady inside Bsp get on one newly purchased for her and her husband,  and hit the throttle by mistake instead of pedaling and she did a wheelie then crashed on her stomach on the road and the  bike went flying.  Not a great site to see. I think there will be changes to come soon so I'm holding off buying one.

I almost dumped mine in the Canal the first week I had it. The power kicks in when you pedal. I had pulled over and the bike was in 3rd speed (pedal assist). I decided to u-turn the bike and started to pedal halfway through the turn. The power kicked in and sent me toward the rip-rap, it was a near miss. In 1st it would have been fine.

2 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

The bike in the post I quoted most certainly had a throttle, it's a motorcycle by any stretch IMO.

That bike also had pedal assist that would allow it to go just as fast as with the throttle. If someone only used pedal assist and kept it to a reasonable speed they could go completely under the radar. That is what I will do if I get one. They would have to out right ban bikes in certain areas to actually stop people from using E bikes IMO. And good luck outlawing bikes in a lot of areas. When in pedal assist mode no one would call it a motorcycle. Full throttle is another look all together. 

If you're seriously thinking of getting an e-bike, regardless if it's throttle or pedal assist, do yourself a favor and remember 3 things: 1. Buy from an actual bike company- Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc. 2. Only get a Bosch, Shimano or Brose motor. (if you follow the first two points this third point will come automatically) 3. Make sure the battery on the bike is UL certified. 

So many of these no name/inexpensive new e-bike brands are here one day and gone the next. It seems like once they sell through their inventory they disappear and then rebrand under another name. They're mainly based in Asia and you can't get the proprietary parts if you need to fix something. You also cant replace the part with a Shimano or Sram part because it wont be compatible, on purpose.  These new e-bike brands dont have the background in bikes. They are ordering from a catalog on Alibaba and slapping their name on it.

All 3 of those companies stand behind their motors. After sending them a few photos, maybe a video, you'll have a new motor within a week... IF you ever have a problem with it. I'll have 8-10 no name Amazon e-bikes come in with motor issues before I have one of those 3 brands come in. If they do come in with an issue it's usually a loose connection that requires just pushing all the plugs in the harness back in.

You dont want the e-bike batteries venting or leaking. Guess what, if you come in looking for a new battery it either cant be purchased bc the company doesnt offer replacements or it's going to be 3/4 the cost of that chinese e-bike. 

9 mins ago, BeachBum818 said:

If you're seriously thinking of getting an e-bike, regardless if it's throttle or pedal assist, do yourself a favor and remember 3 things: 1. Buy from an actual bike company- Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc. 2. Only get a Bosch, Shimano or Brose motor. (if you follow the first two points this third point will come automatically) 3. Make sure the battery on the bike is UL certified. 

So many of these no name/inexpensive new e-bike brands are here one day and gone the next. It seems like once they sell through their inventory they disappear and then rebrand under another name. They're mainly based in Asia and you can't get the proprietary parts if you need to fix something. You also cant replace the part with a Shimano or Sram part because it wont be compatible, on purpose.  These new e-bike brands dont have the background in bikes. They are ordering from a catalog on Alibaba and slapping their name on it.

All 3 of those companies stand behind their motors. After sending them a few photos, maybe a video, you'll have a new motor within a week... IF you ever have a problem with it. I'll have 8-10 no name Amazon e-bikes come in with motor issues before I have one of those 3 brands come in. If they do come in with an issue it's usually a loose connection that requires just pushing all the plugs in the harness back in.

You dont want the e-bike batteries venting or leaking. Guess what, if you come in looking for a new battery it either cant be purchased bc the company doesnt offer replacements or it's going to be 3/4 the cost of that chinese e-bike. 

Good to know -  Thanks!