clambellies

E-bikes at the canal

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Earlier last fall the issue of EBikes on the access roads was kicked around, and someone mentioned that the topic was going to be addressed by the ACOE at their winter meeting.  I have a friend with some health issues and he was thinking of getting one to keep him in the game.   I tried to find out if the AOCE had that meeting yet but couldn't find anything on line about it.  Anyone have any info?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by clambellies

Posted (edited) · Report post

Error. 75 watt motor and no throttle function. This is a specific class of ebike but I don’t know whether it’s a 1, 2, or 3

Edited by capecodder
Misspelled

9 hours ago, capecodder said:

Error. 75 watt motor and no throttle function. This is a specific class of ebike but I don’t know whether it’s a 1, 2, or 3

Class 1: Pedal Assist(no throttle) max assist 20mph. Class 2: Throttle w/ max speed of 20mph, Class 3: Pedal Assist(no throttle) max assist 28mph.  Currently only Class 1 and 3 are allowed along the canal per the ACOE. No mention of motor wattage. If anything the torque in NM would be a better indicator. a 35nm motor will just be noticeable but a 75nm motor is going to get you to that max assist almost instantly. 

2 hours ago, capequahog said:

if you need an ebike to get around do you really want to be dealing with the rip rap (retired rip rapper)

No problem, just cast from the service road. Over other people's heads if necessary. :sarc:

1 hour ago, BeachBum818 said:

Class 1: Pedal Assist(no throttle) max assist 20mph. Class 2: Throttle w/ max speed of 20mph, Class 3: Pedal Assist(no throttle) max assist 28mph.  Currently only Class 1 and 3 are allowed along the canal per the ACOE. No mention of motor wattage. If anything the torque in NM would be a better indicator. a 35nm motor will just be noticeable but a 75nm motor is going to get you to that max assist almost instantly. 

So it sounds like the key takeaway is no throttle allowed. I'm guessing there's a lot of noncompliance going on, from what I've seen. 

42 mins ago, bdowning said:

So it sounds like the key takeaway is no throttle allowed. I'm guessing there's a lot of noncompliance going on, from what I've seen. 

I had an old timer tell me that on his new ebike he can go from the Sag to the rr bridge in 12 minutes.

4 hours ago, bdowning said:

Assuming that distance is ~ 5 miles, that's about 25 mph sustained. 

I think it's ~4.5 miles. There's a 4.5 mile marker painted on the service road just west of the Sag.

I've done it on a road bike. With a tailwind. In February. :laugh: 

17 hours ago, bob_G said:

I had an old timer tell me that on his new ebike he can go from the Sag to the rr bridge in 12 minutes.

The race is on .. I can beat that by a minute  with a tail wind