H.H. New State Record 35” Cusk

ccb

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

I didn't know there were fresh water cusk.

I've certainly caught them while bottom fishing for cod & haddock. Are they different fish?

JD

Yes.  They're more properly called "burbot."

The only freshwater member of the cod family.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

22 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

Add another one to the bucket list.

Can cusk be caught during the summer?

From what I understand, largely at night and in deeper water.  But they're mostly an ice target.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

23 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

Add another one to the bucket list.

Can cusk be caught during the summer?

A lot of Maine lakes have them. They are caught at night during ice fishing season. It’s a good excuse to stay out on the ice and drink some more at dark. 

Late february, early March is their spawning season. Look for rocky areas. Dead Sea smelt or shiner on the bottom is how we fished for them. You can jig for them to pass the time as well. 

Tasty fish. Fun time at night on Sebago when it does freeze. 

I caught one one in the summer once. Trolling for lake trout, with lead core near the bottom. Only one I ever caught in the summer. 

7 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

A lot of Maine lakes have them. They are caught at night during ice fishing season. It’s a good excuse to stay out on the ice and drink some more at dark. 

Late february, early March is their spawning season. Look for rocky areas. Dead Sea smelt or shiner on the bottom is how we fished for them. You can jig for them to pass the time as well. 

Tasty fish. Fun time at night on Sebago when it does freeze. 

I caught one one in the summer once. Trolling for lake trout, with lead core near the bottom. Only one I ever caught in the summer. 

Sounds like in open water you can fish them like catfish?

Edited by Captain Ahab

I fish fine

look stupid 

5 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

They move to deep water. They are obviously there in the lakes, but I have never heard of anyone targeting them during the open water seasons. 

I'll have to start doing some research, and find out some more about them. It seems like a good opportunity to catch something cool like this. 

2 mins ago, KarpsnKatz said:

I'll have to start doing some research, and find out some more about them. It seems like a good opportunity to catch something cool like this. 

Used to love being on the ice in March at night on a windless night. Lantern going. Beers flowing.  Staring up at the stars.  Lot of fun. 

One of the best eating freshwater fish imo' and my grandmothers favorite for fish chowdah.   Like was mentioned they are usually found deep, I've caught in 180ish ft of water. But in February-March when they spawn here they are caught in shallow.  we call them cusk here, never heard anyone call them burbot unless from away.