codfish

Cape Cod Canal report

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

During the 2021 season I was not able to fish but I did make the following observations along the Canal;  There were hundreds if not more electrically powered or assisted bike on the service road, some legal but I would say most were not, several wheelchairs, definitely modified, doing at least 20MPH and the guys on them hopped up and down the rocks like monkeys.  More and more electric scooters, skate boards and one wheel contaptions plus gas powered mini bikes and mopeds.  Also saw at least 4 golf carts.  We spend at least 4 days a week on the Canal (my site at BSP is less than 100 yds. from the Canal and up on a hill with a clear view) and I saw at least 2 if not more EPOs every week on patrol.

The whole area is being over run with people who just don't care (or don't know) about the rules and could care less about any one else...............

17 mins ago, b-ware said:

During the 2021 season I was not able to fish but I did make the following observations along the Canal;  There were hundreds if not more electrically powered or assisted bike on the service road, some legal but I would say most were not, several wheelchairs, definitely modified, doing at least 20MPH and the guys on them hopped up and down the rocks like monkeys.  More and more electric scooters, skate boards and one wheel contaptions plus gas powered mini bikes and mopeds.  Also saw at least 4 golf carts.  We spend at least 4 days a week on the Canal (my site at BSP is less than 100 yds. from the Canal and up on a hill with a clear view) and I saw at least 2 if not more EPOs every week on patrol.

The whole area is being over run with people who just don't care (or don't know) about the rules and could care less about any one else...............

Has the slot limit decreased the number of people fishing??

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

Sometimes you and I see eye to eye Bernie.  As far as the canal goes, the ship has sailed. Sometimes in my most private moments I wonder if it's not time to rethink things? 

Hey DJ, how's the weather in Finland?

1 hour ago, codfish said:

Ha, that's a laugh.

PANO_2021-08-14_06-00-46.jpg

IMG_20210814_060453.jpg

Used to fish the "breaking tides" religiously, last year went a few times to give it a go but once I saw the s__t show I left. I now am enjoying schoolie fishing without the crowds and hoping for a return of the YED's.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

……….As far as the canal goes, the ship has sailed. Sometimes in my most private moments I wonder if it's not time to rethink things.

Somewhere in North Western US…….or an isolated location down OBX way   :th:

3 hours ago, codfish said:

The best way to judge that is to go the parking areas and walk the service road several hundred yards in each direction and look at the amount of people fishing. (Whitch I did not do)

As I have said before, put in the time and energy, get away from the major parking lots, and the fishing and crowds are not bad..............

Take a look at the two pictures Bob G posted above (post #4), major and well known parking area (Bell Rd.) and thats what it is usually like, mobbed by lazy people who won't put in the effort to move away from the crowds.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

As I have said before, put in the time and energy, get away from the major parking lots, and the fishing and crowds are not bad..............

Take a look at the two pictures Bob G posted above (post #4), major and well known parking area (Bell Rd.) and thats what it is usually like, mobbed by lazy people who won't put in the effort to move away from the crowds.

Well, not entirely true Bernie.

I've had many mornings when I found 40 cars under the Bourne bridge. Gallo, forget it.  HWG had cars parked all the way up the hill to the power lines.  

At that point, I usually turn around and go home.   Don't have a dog to kick anymore. So Sandy will make me a cup of double french roast, and I'll go sit outside with my tomatoes, mad as a hornet.

Edited by bob_G

Sadly, i've all but given up fishing the canal. I remember when i came to the realization that it just wasn't fun for me anymore. I woke up early, (0300) and made the 35 minute drive. Arrived in the area just after 0400. As i traveled down Sandwich Rd there wasn't a place to park. I was dumbfounded. I arrived at my destination under the Bourne Bridge and got the very last place to park. It probably wasn't even a legal spot. I rode my bike down to the path and was just in awe of the amount of people that were out at that time of day. It stopped being fun in that moment. That was 3 years ago. I've been back a few times since, but never with any expectation of catching or even fishing for that matter. Mostly, i've taken my boy down to throw rocks off the jetty and climb around on the lower rocks and explore. Middle of the day stuff when no one is around. Sad really when I think back about how much time i spent there from the time i was old enough to ride my bike across the bypass and main street to get there. Those were fun times, but times change i guess. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

41 mins ago, bob_G said:

Well, not entirely true Bernie.

I've had many mornings when I found 40 cars under the Bourne bridge. Gallo, forget it.  HWG had cars parked all the way up the hill to the power lines.  

At that point, I usually turn around and go home.   Don't have a dog to kick anymore. So Sandy will make me a cup of double french toast, and I'll go sit outside with my tomatoes, mad as a hornet.

The number of cars only tells part of the story, I have gone to HWG and seen parking like you discribed but by the time you hit split rock or the radar tower the people are seperated quite a bit yet at the gate they are shoulder to shoulder.  Same thing at Portagee Hole.

PS out here in Shytkicker County our french toast come on a plate and we eat with family and friends not fruits.................

Edited by b-ware

16 mins ago, bradW said:

Sadly, i've all but given up fishing the canal. I remember when i came to the realization that it just wasn't fun for me anymore. I woke up early, (0300) and made the 35 minute drive. Arrived in the area just after 0400. As i traveled down Sandwich Rd there wasn't a place to park. I was dumbfounded. I arrived at my destination under the Bourne Bridge and got the very last place to park. It probably wasn't even a legal spot. I rode my bike down to the path and was just in awe of the amount of people that were out at that time of day. It stopped being fun in that moment. That was 3 years ago. I've been back a few times since, but never with any expectation of catching or even fishing for that matter. Mostly, i've taken my boy down to throw rocks off the jetty and climb around on the lower rocks and explore. Middle of the day stuff when no one is around. Sad really when I think back about how much time i spent there from the time i was old enough to ride my bike across the bypass and main street to get there. Those were fun times, but times change i guess. 

What he said.

We still haven't hit a good day there. We've only tried a few times in 2020 and a couple times last year.

We tried the breaking tides and the off tides.

We tried squeezing in at the popular spots and we tried some less popular. 

We got a few schoolies but never hit the you tube blitzes.

It's only because of the combination of dead fishing at the places I always fished and the mad blitzes plastered all over you tube that I even go at all.

I never fished the canal during the glory days most of you enjoyed. 

Even though I'm not new to striper fishing, I'm new to the canal, and only because my son is so enamored with it. And because we just don't get the action I was used to elsewhere in the past.

We are down there a lot. We had some good tides but I bought a center console to avoid the crowds and enjoyed jigging black seas bass and fluke more than the beloved canal. 

I am afraid due to crowds I will focus on fishing the boat. I hope big fish return to Montauk so people will spend more time there :) 

My breaking point came early in the ‘19 season. I know many who found their breaking point well before that- some even before 2010.

Thats part of the problem, so many regulars with some notion of etiquette have called it quits. Now there is no example to follow. Just a sad state of affairs. 

There may be a couple opportunities each season to find a good bite of large fish without crowds but those are very few and far between..