kid_just_wants_to_fish

Bait Migrations MA

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I wanted to gain some info on the bait migrations on the cape and around the Plymouth area. When does the first bait start to come in and what could be used to mimic them. I know about the herring run in the spring but are there any other baitfish that are mentioned other than bunker, squid, and herring. I am very familiar with soft plastics in freshwater and I am trying to switch that technique to salt. I noticed that Lunker City has 3inch sluggos which I think could work very well for finicky stripers or albies. I hope that plastics increase my catch rate rather than hard baits. What are your favorite colors and baitfish that you try to match?

Thanks 

Sluggos in Arkansas shiner imitate a myriad of things that stripers eat. My favorite light tackle combo is a 4 or 5in sluggo on a jig head or Texas rigged. 

9 hours ago, evancanalrat said:

Sluggos in Arkansas shiner imitate a myriad of things that stripers eat. My favorite light tackle combo is a 4 or 5in sluggo on a jig head or Texas rigged. 

:)

Whiting usually show up in the spring. There's one spot I like to fish where I could count on throwing a whiting impersonation and catch slot sized fish. 

Seems like I haven't seen as much whiting in May - early June like I used to.

20170521_221629.jpg.1fbc9abe6719debd19214d6da4ce0b22.jpg

8 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Whiting usually show up in the spring. There's one spot I like to fish where I could count on throwing a whiting impersonation and catch slot sized fish. 

I think bass like whiting more than squid.

Unfortunately whiting seems to be far less consistent than squid in the Ditch. 

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Unfortunately whiting seems to be far less consistent than squid in the Ditch. 

I pretty sure the spring of '17 was the last time I saw a decent amount whiting in the canal.

I know that in early to mid summer, sea herring fry fill in a lot of bays and harbors (not to be confused with the fall back river herring fry that happens later towards the end of summer and fall)...these in turn bring in mackerel, hickory shad, etc...all of these, from the small herring fry right up to hickory shad, when you find them, can lead you to some great striper fishing (and bluefish). Not sure about albies up that way...I've always considered them a fish found from the south side of the cape and points south...but I did hear a rumor of a short lived albie run up in that area last season..so who knows???

3 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I pretty sure the spring of '17 was the last time I saw a decent amount whiting in the canal.

Always thought they was only in deep waters

5 hours ago, zak-striper said:

ya, nobody told me they had sharp teeth.......

On 1/14/2022 at 7:59 PM, kid_just_wants_to_fish said:

Hello,

I wanted to gain some info on the bait migrations on the cape and around the Plymouth area. When does the first bait start to come in and what could be used to mimic them. I know about the herring run in the spring but are there any other baitfish that are mentioned other than bunker, squid, and herring. I am very familiar with soft plastics in freshwater and I am trying to switch that technique to salt. I noticed that Lunker City has 3inch sluggos which I think could work very well for finicky stripers or albies. I hope that plastics increase my catch rate rather than hard baits. What are your favorite colors and baitfish that you try to match?

Thanks 

In your area there is mackerel, herring , squid, eels , silversides , momichogs,i would use larger soft plastics than 3 inch . The 7 inch white sluggo in fall is good choice . Any 5-6” paddletails also 

On 1/17/2022 at 6:40 AM, shark lobster said:

In your area there is mackerel, herring , squid, eels , silversides , momichogs,i would use larger soft plastics than 3 inch . The 7 inch white sluggo in fall is good choice . Any 5-6” paddletails also 

and lots of sticklebacks!!!!!!!!!!