bob_G

New seed catalogs out, who's getting ready?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 11:53 AM, z-man said:

Do any of you guys save your unused seeds for the following year? I tried it last year and everything grew except for cucumbers. The tomato seeds were all fine. 

I save tons of seeds and have had great but varied success growing from my own 

The thing about saving seeds is using non-hybrid plants. The seeds from a hybrid could turn out to be anything when planted because you do not know which parent it will take after. San Marzano is a great tomato for saucing. It is a non-hybrid. Can be tricky to grow in iffy areas as it is not (like hybrids which have been bred to fight them) resistant to any of the common diseases. Keeping them pruned for 8 to 10 inches off the ground and drip watering (rather than overhead) keeps them dry and really helps stop the blights. After that just lots of copper sulfate spray if they do get infected.

30 mins ago, speedwell said:

The thing about saving seeds is using non-hybrid plants. The seeds from a hybrid could turn out to be anything when planted because you do not know which parent it will take after. San Marzano is a great tomato for saucing. It is a non-hybrid. Can be tricky to grow in iffy areas as it is not (like hybrids which have been bred to fight them) resistant to any of the common diseases. Keeping them pruned for 8 to 10 inches off the ground and drip watering (rather than overhead) keeps them dry and really helps stop the blights. After that just lots of copper sulfate spray if they do get infected.

Thanks Puck

20 hours ago, speedwell said:

After I could no longer get Mathilde Pickling I swapped to Eureka. They did really well for some years but Downy Mildew (looks like white powder on the plant) wiped them out first week of June. Used Wisconsin and they did really well - came up fast and produced lots of cukes. With the help of Copper Sulfate spray.

Appreciate the response. I will check them out. Thanks!