New seed catalogs out, who's getting ready?

Rate this topic

bob_G

22 mins ago, bob_G said:

Seed catalogs are arriving in the mail weekly.   Lots of tomato seeds to choose from, esp a couple new varieties for 2022.   

Do tell, I always plant Celebrity, Ramapo and Beefsteak. looking for a change. Looking  for a good size (baseball) meaty slicing mater'.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

17 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Do tell, I always plant Celebrity, Ramapo and Beefsteak. looking for a change. Looking  for a good size (baseball) meaty slicing mater'.

They are fairly expensive but I’ve had really good luck with Rebelski the last couple of years. They produced late in to the fall this year. 

18 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

35 mins ago, fishing addict said:

They are fairly expensive but I’ve had really good luck with Rebelski the last couple of years. They produced late in to the fall this year. 

Who do you guys buy your seeds from?

The Sultan of Sluggo

1 hour ago, unskunk said:

Don't know what this is, but some Albanian lady in my apartment complex grew and gave me this.  It was delicious so I saved the seeds and will plant this year........

IMG_0415.JPG

It looks like a Cherokee Purple.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I've had excellent service from tomato Growers Supply company over the years for tomatoes and peppers.

I use and like Johnny's. 

Also - full spectrum LED lights designed for seed starting have gotten relatively cheap.

I used to start seeds in the basement with banks of 48" full spectrum fluorescents.

The LEDs use less power and have built in dimmers you can adjust as needed. 

Also much lighter.

For many years my ex and I planted nothing but Beefsteak tomatoes, 12 or 13 plants already started from a local greenhouse.  We harvested enough fruit from those plants to can enough tomato sauce for a year (family of 4) and still had enough for salads all summer and some to give away and if there was any left maybe a quart or two of homemade tomato rice soup...........

Ordered all my seeds before Christmas - should arrive about mid Feb. To pass the time in the evenings I am going over the layout of my garden and what goes where this year (rotation and what works in one small portion that is somewhat shady). Kids (we have four 34-40) asked me to double up garlic production (first try last year with 200+ bulbs was a huge success so this year it is 450 bulbs - two 12X4 raised beds and one 10X4 for garlic). That leaves me two 12X4 and nine 10X4. Three 10X4 will be shared tomatoes and hot peppers. The rest will have beans, carrots (12X4), peas, pickling cukes (their own 10X4), beets (10X4), onions (salad, cooking and tiny pickling) 10X4), Brussel sprouts (another 12X4), kale, small plots of spinach and Swiss chard - dill in with the cukes and summer savory 12 inch by ten foot row in the middle of my carrots (poultry stuffing - way better than the tall winter savory). Zucchini and sweet potato squash go in a couple of spots on the other side of the back yard to keep them away from my pickling cukes because of downy mildew around here.

Anyway - it is all fun - up at 6 and out there getting stuff done until it gets hot then time for a small lunch and a Bud Light. Spending my mornings right now turning a few (20) lures in the slim hope I make it to the Ditch this year (last visit Sept 2019). I dehydrate and grind the hot peppers for seasoning - smoke most of them first - chili with smoked Anaheim, Chipotle ( smoked red jalapeno) and a dash of maple smoked Cheyenne Cayenne powder is a warm but not crazy hot and tasty winter treat.

Regards

Puck

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

That is indeed a Cherokee. They are VERY prolific and hardy. We use them for sauce. They are low in acidity too.

We get most of our seeds from Baker Seeds.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

Note: I have come across comments that the Cherokee Cayenne may be renamed "Arapaho" because of possible confusion with a "Cheyenne" sweet pepper. It is a great Cayenne pepper - instead of just setting your tongue on fire there is a lot of fruit and sweet in the taste as well. My favorite just for flavor is Maple Smoked Anaheim powder - tablespoon of that in my chili along with my own chipotle and cayenne. Cold weather food with fresh biscuits. Mine have corn meal in from the Sandwich mill. Nearly all gone - hope to make it across the border this May.

Regards

Puck

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs