MacCTD

Stradic SW ?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Inshore said:

Wrong…

The Stradic SW lacks the dual drag stack…

5DC8A1B7-65DC-4020-A4D8-D0BB8D643DBF.jpeg

EAA718F1-9987-4059-AB24-18A93C7B4581.jpeg

You always have your details ironed out. 

So, it’s arguably less capable in an important key feature than the Gosa. (Depends on the status of top vs bottom spool drag for the individual but they put the top on Spheros SW and top bottom on the Gosa so Shimano acts like that’s better.) 

But the going price, or the expected secondary market price, is higher than for the Gosa. 

Maybe I need to work on my “tone.”  My wife always seems to think so. (People in glass houses doesn’t apply??!!!)

My beef is with Shimano for having reels with tech under the side plate that more closely matches a product line with different names but using a well established brand instead. And I know about the JDM market but everyone knows that the reels from one place end up elsewhere, and the internet details get switched around. Etc etc. They discontinued the Ci4 line of stradic in favor of the Vanford branding so they’re willing & able to spin up new lines no problem. Do that, keep things more consistent, watch the mismatch in tech/price, etc. 

Anyway, @Saltfruit I’m not disputing your bird-in-the-hand-facts. My opinion on the SW version that I don’t own is less valuable - especially to you and @Inshore

To the OP, get any of them and it will be a good reel! Simple enough. 

56 mins ago, EricDice said:

Maybe I need to work on my “tone.”  My wife always seems to think so. (People in glass houses doesn’t apply??!!!)

My beef is with Shimano for having reels with tech under the side plate that more closely matches a product line with different names but using a well established brand instead. And I know about the JDM market but everyone knows that the reels from one place end up elsewhere, and the internet details get switched around. Etc etc. They discontinued the Ci4 line of stradic in favor of the Vanford branding so they’re willing & able to spin up new lines no problem. Do that, keep things more consistent, watch the mismatch in tech/price, etc. 

Anyway, @Saltfruit I’m not disputing your bird-in-the-hand-facts. My opinion on the SW version that I don’t own is less valuable - especially to you and @Inshore

To the OP, get any of them and it will be a good reel! Simple enough. 

No offense taken. A gracious explanation.

And I do agree, Shimano makes such good product, and does ridiculous things in the name of marketing.

Their service is great however, and being based in the US I assume, OP should go with the Saragosa to avoid potential Us Market/JDM discrepancies.

Shimanos us parts website is so easy to use it must have been designed by Amazon.

I cant share links,i think,but look up Shimano fish shop us.

It shows in stock parts,click and ship.

They even had free shipping before Christmas,I should have bought more parts lol.

If your not sure what you need,they are great on the phone and bend over backwards to help.

I don’t know if they treat me better because I used to register my reels (don’t anymore,not necessary imh) . I suspect they have some record of me when I call.

Daiwa,time to step up your service and parts.

Penn is great too,always has been.

Edited by olvart

On 1/14/2022 at 4:55 PM, Inshore said:

Wrong…

The Stradic SW lacks the dual drag stack…

5DC8A1B7-65DC-4020-A4D8-D0BB8D643DBF.jpeg

EAA718F1-9987-4059-AB24-18A93C7B4581.jpeg

Having had many of my shimanos apart I have to say the difference that you're pointing out is the clicker. Nothing I've seen from them under the 8000s have dual drag stacks. the upper pic resembles the Stella/twinpower and the lower the stradics

2 hours ago, Afrayedknot said:

Having had many of my shimanos apart I have to say the difference that you're pointing out is the clicker. Nothing I've seen from them under the 8000s have dual drag stacks. the upper pic resembles the Stella/twinpower and the lower the stradics

16321 looks like a drag washer to me…

So if a bottom drag washer does not exist in this reel, then why does Shimano show it?

8AC45B9E-81F1-4637-820B-EA639E854B2C.jpeg

AA5CF498-2B95-4546-B43A-43D83F89BEE9.jpeg

7C2075CE-A141-4C51-A7BF-A9153D102BCF.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

Please, my apologies. I only speak from experience. Also, I've never had a new Saragossa apart. I stated what I know to be fact with Stellas, Twinpowers and Stradics. If that is indeed a drag washer then as shown in the picture it has no way to engage either the shaft or. the spool, making it a washer or spacer. there are no steels surrounding it to engage in the friction process and the next part out, the clicker holder has holes in it. Not something you see in a drag related application. 

1 hour ago, Afrayedknot said:

I've never had a new Saragossa apart

Nor have I, but if the drawing is accurate, than it’s similar to the bottom drag of the smaller TP and Stella. With the following functionality.

16321, 16322 and 16323 all basically float inside of 21059. So when you engage the drag, 16323 compresses against 21091, putting 16322 in compression against 16321, then 16321 (drag washer) is compressed against the bottom of the spool. Also note 16322 is fastened to 16323 and it is square cut similar to 21091and these engage with the square cut end of the main shaft and keep them from rotating, same as TP(or Stella). This adds the click function as 21059 rotates around 16323/16322 when under a drag load as 21059 is fastened to the spool.

Pic below is a TP6000HG

A2A0B2C5-4C16-44A1-81D2-803275001EEC.jpeg

A0952CCB-273F-49AE-A2D2-BFB391EE94A7.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

8 mins ago, Inshore said:

Nor have I, but if the drawing is accurate, than it’s similar to the bottom drag of the smaller TP and Stella. With the following functionality.

16321, 16322 and 16323 all basically float inside of 21059. So when you engage the drag, 16323 compresses against 21091. Also note 16323 is square cut similar to 21091and these engage with the square cut end of the main shaft and keep them from rotating, same as TP(or Stella) adding the click function as 21059 rotates around 16323 when under a drag load. 

Pic below is a TP6000HG

A2A0B2C5-4C16-44A1-81D2-803275001EEC.jpeg

A0952CCB-273F-49AE-A2D2-BFB391EE94A7.jpeg

I'll have more attention next time I have my STL 5k apart. That usually happens after I get it back from Shimano service and the drag doesn't engage at all.

On a side note I have a STL 4kswc that has the Stradic setup clicker. I was shocked. 

3 mins ago, Afrayedknot said:

On a side note I have a STL 4kswc that has the Stradic setup clicker. I was shocked. 

True that. I have New TP SW4000 and found it utilizes a C5000 spool with a smaller rotor. It is basically the same as all the smaller current “long stroke” 4/C5k reels from the AR out… Still a great reel none the less…