MacCTD

Stradic SW ?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Anyone have any info on the Shimano Stradic SW? Interested in the 4k size, I see them on eBay from Japan a little more expensive than the regular Stradic. Thanks for any info. 

3 mins ago, MacCTD said:

Anyone have any info on the Shimano Stradic SW? Interested in the 4k size, I see them on eBay from Japan a little more expensive than the regular Stradic. Thanks for any info. 

The 4K is the only one that’s a stradic. Like internals, all the line management and everything on that is a stradic FL. No difference. No “SW” add-ons. 

The bigger sizes are Saragosas repainted. Exactly 100% saragosas. Saragosa locomotive style line management system instead of the worm oscillation in Stradics for ages. Etc etc. 

Just now, afterhours said:

Read Alan Hawks review on that specific model.

I think it was a blog post the last I checked. Does that sound right?

Just saying so the guy can find it not to be a jerk. LOL. :howdy:

Edited by EricDice
Nicer

A lot of info has already been posted above.

Watch this as well, and may want read youtube comments too:

(Remember if you get Stradic SW in the US, probably means no Shimano service as it is not officially sold by Shimano in US, you can call them and ask. Also, good luck with getting parts from shimano USA unless you can somehow confirm they are same in Saragosa or another reel serviced in USA) 

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

The 4K is the only one that’s a stradic. Like internals, all the line management and everything on that is a stradic FL. No difference. No “SW” add-ons. 

The bigger sizes are Saragosas repainted. Exactly 100% saragosas. Saragosa locomotive style line management system instead of the worm oscillation in Stradics for ages. Etc etc. 

This is only partially true.

The spool shaft configuration is different. So you have to buy separate spools.

You also get the lightweight ci4? handle knob.

Other than that it's the same reel yeah.

30 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

This is only partially true.

The spool shaft configuration is different. So you have to buy separate spools.

You also get the lightweight ci4? handle knob.

Other than that it's the same reel yeah.

I don’t even know if you are correct. I think that Shimano just better labeled the parts in the SW diagram than in the FL. (Talking 4000xg here.)

And even still, I’ve had my FL opened up completely and I added a few thin brass washers or shims on top of the x protect rotor cup under the spool. All that is doing is trying to maintain a gap above the cup to force water to go through the labyrinth instead of water going under the labyrinth or that waterproof hydrophobic cup being compressed by the rotor into the top of the AR housing. (Roughness)

Theres also a chance that some other minor parts have been changed without noting it on the schematic. It’s not even worth noting. 

This is “SW” by reputation only. 

And the 5k & up are “stradic” in paint only. Minus the worm gear, it’s a totally unrelated model. 

If they were the exact same price I wouldn’t buy one just out of protest for the BS marketing from a company I otherwise really appreciate. 

Thanks for the feedback, I have a new Stradic 5000FK and I really don’t like the handle and getting a decent replacement is pretty costly, might as well either the Stradic SW 5K or the FL 5K to get the round handle and sell the FL I have now. 

Get the Saragosa in 5k or the Stradic FL in 5k. 

The difference is in sealing and weight. Like 6 OZ between them. Line capacity & drag too but that’s not usually my first consideration. I have the newer model Gosa 6k and the 5k FL. I would not look at them as interchangeable. So be sure of your needs. Sealing versus lightweight & “smooth feel” as many would say about the stradic FL. 

And when the stock gets refilled wherever you shop, check out the Spheros SW 2021 model in 5k. It’s almost the same reel as the Saragosa. There are a few differences. Not probably worth $100+ IMHO. But YMMV if you’re into the acronym thing. 

51 mins ago, EricDice said:

I don’t even know if you are correct. I think that Shimano just better labeled the parts in the SW diagram than in the FL. (Talking 4000xg here.)

And even still, I’ve had my FL opened up completely and I added a few thin brass washers or shims on top of the x protect rotor cup under the spool. All that is doing is trying to maintain a gap above the cup to force water to go through the labyrinth instead of water going under the labyrinth or that waterproof hydrophobic cup being compressed by the rotor into the top of the AR housing. (Roughness)

Theres also a chance that some other minor parts have been changed without noting it on the schematic. It’s not even worth noting. 

This is “SW” by reputation only. 

And the 5k & up are “stradic” in paint only. Minus the worm gear, it’s a totally unrelated model. 

If they were the exact same price I wouldn’t buy one just out of protest for the BS marketing from a company I otherwise really appreciate. 

I'm informing you, as an owner of both reels - the inside shape of the two spools fit differently.

99% of the reel is I'm sure the same.

Also, I believe the reel is Japan's version of the Saragosa, since they had the biomaster instead of the spheros, and no saragosa equivalent. 
The only misnomer I believe is listing the 4k Stradic SW as an SW reel, when it in fact is indifferent from the unsealed Stradic FL.

4 hours ago, EricDice said:

The bigger sizes are Saragosas repainted. Exactly 100% saragosas.

Wrong…

The Stradic SW lacks the dual drag stack…

5DC8A1B7-65DC-4020-A4D8-D0BB8D643DBF.jpeg

EAA718F1-9987-4059-AB24-18A93C7B4581.jpeg