Sandflee

Pig Hearts Transplant

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Some of you may have seen the first genetically altered pig heart was transplanted into some old timer and so far seems successful (great breakthough)

Does he deserve it?

The man being heralded as a medical pioneer, David Bennett Sr., was the same man who'd been convicted in 1988 of stabbing her younger brother seven times, leaving him paralyzed. Edward Shumaker had spent the next 19 years in a wheelchair, before he had a stroke in 2005 and died two years later - one week before his 41st birthday.

"Ed suffered," said Downey, who lives in Frederick, Md. "The devastation and the trauma, for years and years, that my family had to deal with." After Bennett got out of prison, she said, he "went on and lived a good life. Now he gets a second chance with a new heart - but I wish, in my opinion, it had gone to a deserving recipient."

Solomonesque

On one hand you got a guy that committed a heinous crime.

On the otherhand you got experimentsl pig heart for mankind.

Do you experiment on heinous perp with odds he might croak, or do you give experimental pig heart to dorf kid on teevee in hopes he extends his life?

18 mins ago, SallyGrowler said:

Solomonesque

On one hand you got a guy that committed a heinous crime.

On the otherhand you got experimentsl pig heart for mankind.

Do you experiment on heinous perp with odds he might croak, or do you give experimental pig heart to dorf kid on teevee in hopes he extends his life?

True they didn't know the level of success now in hindsight 60,000 potential recipients are saying WTF

I don't think this feller won anything, I'd rather they throw dirt on me than get a pigs heart, your just an experiment. As for candidates, how many could possible line up for this fiasco. 

3 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

I don't think this feller won anything, I'd rather they throw dirt on me than get a pigs heart, your just an experiment. As for candidates, how many could possible line up for this fiasco. 

Why is it a fiasco if it worked? :huh: 

3 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

anatomically a pig is the closest to a human. and the heart was genetically engineered  

not like the pig was sitting on the gurney next to him in the OR

He'll be dead within a month, and I'll bet his days aren't spent enjoying himself, probably has a team of doc's and nurses documenting every breath. Combine that with pain and suffering, keep the pig alive if it were me. Years ago, they put a factory built heart in a guy, Barney somebody, he lasted a few days I believe. Bad enough if you face your last days in agony, but to choose it? Not me.

If you aren't against being an experiment and think that you'll help the science of medicine, get in line. I learned a long tome ago about volunteering, BEWARE should preclude any request being offered, particularly when your virtually getting an autopsy when your still alive.

Experiments like this can and most likely will lead to a better life span for people in the future. I've been living a normal, healthy life for 50 years with a mechanical pancreas called an insulin pump. Hearts are actually simpler devices than a pancreas, some day they will perfect it.

5 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

If you aren't against being an experiment and think that you'll help the science of medicine, get in line.

I was one of those people, one of the first to use an insulin pump. One I tried made me super sick. Next one was the size of a brick I carried around on my belt. Had to change the battery every day. Today it's smaller than a pack of cigarettes and the AA battery lasts a month. After 50 plus years I have ZERO diabetic complications.

1 min ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I was one of those people, one of the first to use an insulin pump. One I tried made me super sick. Next one was the size of a brick I carried around on my belt. Had to change the battery every day. Today it's smaller than a pack of cigarettes and the AA battery lasts a month. After 50 plus years I have ZERO diabetic complications.

My dad had gastric bypass surgery back in the mid '70's. Not sure how new that was back then, but I had never heard of it before that. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Modern insulin pumps, along with internal cardiac pacemakers/defibrillators and LVAD (Left Ventricular Assist Device) pumps are among the greatest "quality of life" inventions of all time. Glad it worked out for you  ;-)

Edited by Jeff B

24 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

That is fantastic and glad things progressed for you to allow you a full and healthy life. This feller isn't going to have a chance at seeing that evolve, he may be part of studies that someday allows the pigs heart to be used temporarily during a rebuild of his own heart or something along those lines but its doubtful a pigs heart will be used as a permanent transplant. You were looking for an extended life with less invasive procedures as well as improved equipment for your condition. He isn't in a line thats offering him anything except a chance to live a week or so with a pigs heart. Literally a guinea pig.