NHAngler

Shimano Teramar Seaguide Guides?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

They are also used on StCroix moderate priced Mojo inshore line which replaced the discontinued Tidemaster line. I had not heard of these guides prior to the introduction of the Mojo rods. They are so used on the lower priced Triumph inshore line.

Edited by Bogey
Added information

So these are budget guides? Not good to hear. Maybe this change was due to supplier issues with the fugi guides they used to use. I love the tc4 blanks but seems like the other components might be lacking. 

SeaGuide has been around since 1997.  They make more guides than anybody other than Fuji.  They have never really gained a following in USA.  Now that they are finally selling to the consumer I think that will change.  A number of top rod manufacturers have started advertising that they are using their guides.

Like anything, it is less about the name than the particular model that has to do with overall quality.  Their 316 SS frame guides with the RS insert (silicon nitride) are a very nice guide.  It is still hard for me an you to buy the model guides we would like here in the USA but I think that will change given a few years.

Edited by Russ57
none

I’ve build some canal rods with the XQG series in both silicone nitrite and zirconia inserts , the frames are 316 stainless . Nothing budget about them . Fit and finish equal Fuji if not better. I also recently picked up fresh water Fenwick HMX which came with Sea Guides too. I will use Sea Guides again to do more rods , dollar  for dollar you get more than in a Fuji.

15 hours ago, Russ57 said:

...Like anything, it is less about the name than the particular model that has to do with overall quality.  ....

Exactly! 

I was aware of the brand but which one will make a difference. And shimano, st croix, and other big companies have the power to get their own versions. 

On 1/16/2022 at 11:11 AM, connman said:

I’ve build some canal rods with the XQG series in both silicone nitrite and zirconia inserts , the frames are 316 stainless . Nothing budget about them . Fit and finish equal Fuji if not better. I also recently picked up fresh water Fenwick HMX which came with Sea Guides too. I will use Sea Guides again to do more rods , dollar  for dollar you get more than in a Fuji.

Well, SeaGuide offers frames in SS 304, SS 316L (L meaning Low Carbon) and Titanium.

I believe Fuji offers frames only in SS 304 and Titanium.

What this means is that you can purchase Silicon Nitride rings (Torzite is similar)  mounted in SS 316L frames and have a significant cost savings.  If desired, Silicon Nitride rings are available in Titanium frames. 

Shimano, Okuma, Daiwa, Pure Fishing (Fenwick, etc), and St Croix are companies I understand to be making the move to SeaGuide. Recently I sent some XQG RS series to Belgium up to size 40 for carp rods and size 30 down to 12 for distance casting. 

"dollar for dollar you get more"  Well said !

Don

On 1/16/2022 at 10:25 AM, Russ57 said:

It is still hard for me an you to buy the model guides we would like here in the USA but I think that will change given a few years.

What type guides are you looking for?

Don

I was putting some stuff away after kayak trip last weekend and saw the HMX tag on my bench . Seems the Fenwick touts the Sea Guide as a feature .

D34B832F-77FF-4BBA-AC19-DFE5583310D8.jpeg.0fa023ff2a633de0e46c53364eb5f341.jpeg

took a chance with them on a light inshore build 2 years ago and have absolutely no regrets.  I really like their XQG guides on all my small conventional to tuna jigging rods. 

I've been using them for awhile now. Only ones I've built with is their version of a Ti Torzite K guide. 

I've been extremely happy with them. Very light and strong and durable. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. 

OK, so I broke down and bought one of the New NE Teramars and WOW, this is a nice build. I cannot wait to use it. The guides appear to be SS and while I cannot tell if they are 316, I like the format and structure of them and quality appears to be impressive. Some of my other Teramar rods have single footed guides and while that works well for lighter rods, I wanted double footed for this setup. Not too heavy either. 

I build my own rods when I cannot find what I want and for spinning rods the guides are a huge deal as they can be quite expensive (for good guides). 

Going to be a long winter now waiting to try this out! :-/ 

Bonus was that my wife was not home when the Fedex truck delivered this so it was quickly removed and mixed into the rest of my rods in the basement without her noticing anything. In the spring, I will need to remember to find and throw away the rod tube I tossed into the woods though. :) 

Edited by NHAngler