oax

AR-Upper Caliber Conversion?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Have a complete heavy barrel AR upper that's been sitting in the safe for some time now. Thinking of either selling it or maybe converting to a different caliber.  Anyone converted your AR, if so to what caliber and what's your overall satisfaction with the outcome?

Depend on your lower. Is it an AR-15 or A10. 

I'm assuming your upper is 5.56/.223? 

I have a lower collecting dust. I don't need an upper but for the right price I'm game. 

Post it up. 

What is it chambered in currently (assuming 556/223) and what are you looking to do with it going forward? 300 Blk is a pretty common conversion. Especially with short barrel builds and with guys running subsonic or suppressed.

29 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Depend on your lower. Is it an AR-15 or A10. 

I'm assuming your upper is 5.56/.223?

Hey Nick, it's 5.56. Be interested to see if anyone has converted one and if they were satisfied with the effort and cost to do so before  parting with it.

15 mins ago, oax said:

Hey Nick, it's 5.56. Be interested to see if anyone has converted one and if they were satisfied with the effort and cost to do so before  parting with it.

@fishweewee 

He's the man to ask. 

If your lower is a multi cal lower you can go with 300 blackout, 6.5 grendel, 50 Beowulf, 9mm, etc. 

I don't know of anyone converting per say but people have swapped complete uppers. One of the great qualities of the AR platform. 

9 hours ago, oax said:

300BLK.  I think your satisfaction will be somewhat dependent on what hardware your current upper already has.

Also on the barrel you upgrade with.

Good barrels are not hard to find these days although prices, as with everything, have increased.

Do you have the tools needed to swap a barrel?

It might be better to just get an assembled upper.

These are also widely available.

Some of my favorites come from Bear Creek Arsenal.

There are some other cartridges to consider but 300BLK is the one alternative to 5.56 most available in loaded ammo.

Was thinking something easy like the 6.5 Grendel or .300 Blackout but after pricing parts and figuring in the hassle, probably makes more sense not to bother. Still interested to hear if anyone has done a caliber conversion on an AR...

9 mins ago, oax said:

Was thinking something easy like the 6.5 Grendel or .300 Blackout but after pricing parts and figuring in the hassle, probably makes more sense not to bother. Still interested to hear if anyone has done a caliber conversion on an AR...

Yes, I've done many.  Most to 300 BLK.

Do you have the tools?

I'm guessing not since you asked the question.

If you can't borrow them it's usually easier to just buy a new upper.

If you are really trying to cut costs or you simply like all the other hardware and just want a barrel change maybe you can find a hobbyist that would do the change for you.

I don't know what a shop would charge.

17 mins ago, oax said:

I have a 6.5 grendel. It's accurate. It's nice. BUT....it's the loudest gun I have by far. AR platform 16" barrel including a brake.  Even my son doesn't like shooting it. Lol 

First, you need to decide on what you will do with the upper. Will it be just target shooting, or do you plan on hunting with it some day? For just target shooting, 9mm is a cheaper option ammo wise. If you plan on hunting with it, there are some things to consider. 300BO is a subsonic load and the effective range is somewhat diminished. 6.5 Grendel is an effective load at longer ranges, but you really need a longer barrel to maximize its potential. 6.5 has also had issues with bolts breaking, and the hunting ammo is somewhat limited and expensive. Another option is the 6.8spc. It was designed by the military to replace the .556 and be a great intermediate round between that and the 7.62. It was also developed for short barrels and shows great results from 16” barrels or even less. That is the round of choice for many hog hunters down south hunting with 10-12” barrels. Ammo still isn’t cheap, but less than the 6.5 and there are many choices available. 
Once a decision has been made on the caliber, then you can decide on what to do with the upper. More than likely it will be easier to replace the entire upper and sell the one that you have. However, depending on what you decide to go with, you may have to replace the barrel and the bolt on your upper depending on availability of your choice. It really is not a hard job for someone with the right tools to do it. Literally less than an hour to do. 
Decide what you want to shoot and go from there.