541Wiant

Lead Melting

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, t_man7 said:

Any good sources for cheap sheet lead?

Best source for me was my dentist. X-ray plates and old lead vests.

Worked out great till the recycling guy got wind of the giveaway.....

I asked my dentist for the old x-ray plates. He thought he was legally obliged to pay some hazmat company that rips him off to take the lead. Thought he'd get into trouble if I took it for free. Not sure why I still go to his practice.

On 1/14/2022 at 1:02 AM, ReeferRob said:

Lead and water are a VERY dangerous mix at best if it explodes you'll get burnt, at worst blinded. Eye protection in the form a face shield is preferable as well as a canvas hat or welding cap for when it happens and it will happen.

I make ingots for safety and for getting my hardness correct as well as making damn sure its dry. I wold stay away from lead pipes unless you can hit them with a torch to dry them before smelting. If you can get sheet lead, that's what I use as my base and I add tin to it if I'm making Sting Silver style lures.

Melt on breezy days, wind at your back blowing any lead fumes away from you. If you're going to smelt inside, make damn sure you have an exhaust fan or negative pressure hood.

Leave your mold sitting on top of your pot if that's what you're using to keep it warm, it keeps water from forming when it cools, again, safety first. Here in the mid Atlantic, it's humid in the warmer months and condensation will form when a mold cools. Aluminum cools fast and condensation will form in those small cavities.

We wear nitrile gloves under leather gloves for an added layer of safety. Again, leather for when it pops and sends lead spheres in all directions.

Keep pets and children away from your work area, lead is especially dangerous to children and will cause all sorts of developmental issues immediately and later in life. If it pops and your pets are around the table they could be burned or blinded.

When you're done with your lead, put it away after it has cooled and take a shower. If you don't think it gets on you, buy a lead paint test and touch your clothes when you're done and you'll see why cleanliness is important. Wash those clothes by themselves as well.

THIS!!!!^^^^^^

OP's focus should be on this first and not on what types of lead to use.  Lead can cause all kinds of health issues.  Residual lead on your fingers is really dangerous.  Fumes can cause permanent damage to your internal organs and blood diseases.  I would think what is stated in this post would have been first and not 24th down.:shrug:

1 hour ago, GP100 said:

I asked my dentist for the old x-ray plates. He thought he was legally obliged to pay some hazmat company that rips him off to take the lead. Thought he'd get into trouble if I took it for free. Not sure why I still go to his practice.

Some states have specific ways in which hazardous materials must be disposed of or recycled. Some people are sticklers for following the letter of the law. The penalties for improper disposal of hazmats are steep.