Pink

Rate this topic

Peter Patricelli

I have a lot of luck with an all pink flatwing - probably a similar size and profile to the Clouser you describe.  Killer in the spring imitating spearing, really killer in the fall to imitate bay anchovy for albies.  My theory is the pink stands out from the crowd.

I've always got something pink in my flybox.  Sometimes the pink & white clouser or the electric chicken (pink & chartreuse) can be the hot ticket for albies down here.  Good medicine for specks too.  Good story Pete.  Thanks for posting.  

Pete,

I'm sorry hearing about Steve's issues.    I really don't know Steve that well but the little amount I have been dealing with Steve he was a pleasure to communicate with.  So many people fishing at the SOL group that it would have be nice to get together and meet some these folks.  I've enjoyed his fly color and SOL threads and it made me think about my dads age where they would say about the old Ford A,  you can get any fly you can color as long as you get a pink one. :) 

These were sent to me from Steve awhile back.  I've saved from Steve as my "masters".  

HT

Pink_Steve.jpg.aa7498c28ee986029d4e03ea43d713c5.jpg

Pink_Steve1.jpg.7305f5c49d049c8d106e5e1ab32a1634.jpg

Edited by HillTop

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

A couple of addendums:

Steve is the dude on the left side of my avatar.

I have seen with my own eyes, out in the open Atlantic east of Chatham, a bass chase a very surprising sand eel out of a deep feed in 100' of water.  The sand eel was trying to use the boat for cover, so I had a good, long look.  The sand eel was 10-12 inches long and was an orangish PINK!  I swear.  It gave me an understanding of those large, long, bubblegum colored sluggos I see on offshore boats.

Since Steve uses the Pink Wonder for just about everything, he gets a lot of incidental species, especially when fishing places like Florida.  So far, Steve has hooked 6 big tarpon incidentally,  He was in my boat, on the bow, casting to the mangrove shoreline for snook along the mouth of the Shark River in the Everglades when he connected with the sixth.  I was casting from the stern and had a full cast out when all hell broke loose.  The fish was 70-90#, didn't initially jump so there were a (very few) initial seconds before the gravity of the situation became apparent.  The leader had a 40# bite tippet so that was not the immediate problem.  The problem was that Steve only had 100 yards of backing on a 9 wt rod.  Steve got cleaned as I got sorted in, fired the motor, and gave chase.  So far, he has never landed any of those incidentally hooked 'poons.  Don't know about you but 6 'poons incidentally, which means blind casting, for someone who lives in Michigan and only fishes tropical water (and not classic 'poon water at that) a few weeks a year....strikes me as very impressive.  I've never heard of anyone fishing for 'poons with a clouser.....much less a pink and white one ......but Steve's experience strikes me as a flashing neon arrow pointing the way.

I spent April Vaca weeks on Siesta Key- my go-to fly on the beach was a pink over white clouser- yak hair, ultra hair and finally, DNA fiber.  Everything on that that fly.  I still use the pink over white in Maine with great success for stripers on the beach in June.  

I al so tied a pink & white gartside intruder style for salmon in the fall- they smash it.  Finally, one of my go-to dropper flies for many years is a pink copper john in a 16 or 18.  Pink & Purple... don't leave home without them.

I would ******* LOVE a grave blanket. icon14.gif

15 hours ago, titleguy said:

I spent April Vaca weeks on Siesta Key- my go-to fly on the beach was a pink over white clouser- yak hair, ultra hair and finally, DNA fiber.  Everything on that that fly.  I still use the pink over white in Maine with great success for stripers on the beach in June.  

I al so tied a pink & white gartside intruder style for salmon in the fall- they smash it.  Finally, one of my go-to dropper flies for many years is a pink copper john in a 16 or 18.  Pink & Purple... don't leave home without them.

Curious: what's a "Gartside intruder style"?

Peter P., thoughtful thread.

I've never met Steve S. nor, to my recollection, exchanged with him through posts on SOL (the only network on which I am active). But I've read many of his posts over the past eight years and remember them as being thoughtful, to the point and often contributing significantly to the discussion. And they left me the impression that they were written by a gentleman.

JCH mentions above that he's had success with a pink flatwing. So with a tip of the hat to Steve S. and sending him a lot of positive waves, here is a simple three-feather flatwing in the color scheme of Steve'S Pink Wonder. On a #1/0 EC253 hook, about 5" long.

20220118_133254.jpg.f0d3f2f4d84019fd65871c120ab9f3e2.jpg

Yes. Here's what he wrote in his sbs on the Pink Wonder that he posted on the April 25, 2017 thread "Hook Removal Video, including hook insertion": "light or medium pink bucktail; fluorescent is ok but not cerise". And the Pink Wonder is not a very big or long fly (3"to 3.5) as Steve ties it on a standard saltwater hook size 2 to 6.