bob4

vision enhancing/magnifiers

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

So for the crowd that needs help seeing threads what do you use for vision enhancers/magnifiers? Up to now for single threads I have a pair of readers that have worked OK along with my contacts.  Been trying to do a tiger wrap and getting all 3 threads (size A) in line is tough on the eyes. I have tried a desk mounted lighted magnifier glass but getting distance correct wasn't working for this. I was thinking a head band type visor, the type jewelers might use.   I have more than enough light but I'm no spring chicken so some more help is needed.  Curious as to what some others a bit long in the tooth use. 

I don’t wrap rods but I use magnification for fly tying. I’ve tried the desk models and hated them because they get in the way and because they suck to adjust distance. I find the same clip on hat magnifiers that I have on my fishing ball cap are also perfect at the bench. Easy to adjust distance for optimum clarity simply by leaning in or out. Easy to look under when not needed or you can flip them up and out of the way completely. 

I've been pretty happy with the Donegan OSC OptiSIGHT, $23 on Amazon, real lightweight and not claustrophobic. I've even managed to get replacement lenses when I've scratched them up. What I've not seen at a reasonable price is the kind surgeons use where they don't have to be close up, these you need to be like 3" from the subject.

optisight.PNG.68c803d326b47e800734ac9799b5bfd8.PNG