Caveman8

Spinning rod: Stripper size, spool size, and reel weight choices

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

During the year end sale at SWE I succumbed to the lure of a Century 7'10" Weapon Jr.
I am now looking to pair it with a reel for 15-20 Lb braid.
I'm looking at 3000 to 4500 size reels.
It seems as if most 3000 and 4000 (or 3500 and 4500) size reels from any given manufacturer are built on the same frame, and have essentially the same weight.
The the only difference betwixt the smaller and larger reel in these cases is spool size.
So here is the question: given essentially no difference in weight, is there any other advantage to a smaller spool?
The rod has a 20 mm internal diameter stripper guide - would a smaller diameter spool cast better?

My intention for this rod is to have something enjoyable for throwing smaller lures to schoolies and small blues, while still being able to handle larger fish on occasion.

Mostly wading shallows inshore and kayaking.
Thanks for any input. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Caveman8 said:

1.Is there any other advantage to a smaller spool?
2. The rod has a 20 mm internal diameter stripper guide - would a smaller diameter spool cast better?

1. No benefit to a smaller spool.

2. #20 stripper work just fine with the 15lb-20lb  braid you mentioned; I have built (for others) and owned many high performance rods with #20 high framed stripper guides. Dont stress it

Edited by ZAFisher

Also, don't forget the Penn Slammer series, I have a few and L get good service from them. I don't wet suit any more for a long long time so I'm not worried about the reel being under water long. 

Advantage is something only you can decide for your specific usage requirements. In my opinion there are several differences that may help or hinder but that's up to you to decide which. Most users will "reel faster" with a smaller spool. I've noticed most guys do not seem to adjust their retrieval speed to compensate for spool size or amount of line present at any given time on the spool. Smaller spools will likely increase line twist, wind knots, affect distance and may introduce or increase line slap against the blank during the cast

I found on a couple of Lews Inshore reels that side by side the handle on the  300 was smaller than the 400 as well. Kinda would have like the smaller one on the 400 

Thanks for the input.

My main questions seem to have been answered:

The bigger spool is better given same reel weight.

I was leaning toward a Clash II high speed, given that I also hope to chase Albies with this outfit.

My only concern with that choice is the fact that I will occasionally dunk this reel.

May go with a Slammer IV DX if/when they become available.

Would love to stick a VR50 on it, but that may be over budget.

Thanks again for the advice.