Jacks

Fly Line for Fluke

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Target the "Trough", there are many fluke in there as well as huge Cow nosed rays when they arrive in August when the water warms. I most times wait till the rays cruise by before casting, to avoid them. Good luck with that!

In early June before the spearing, bay anchovies and assorted swim baits arrive in great numbers, the fluke dine on mole crabs, and I use Bob Pops three feather mole crab fly with great success in  the trough and along the Jersey Jetties or what's left of them ((. 

His Jiggy fly in white, pink, chartreuse or a combination of, works well. When swim bait is present, the surf candy is supreme.

In light current I use an intermediate, but in a deep rip i switch out to a sink line on my  ten foot eight weight.

the ten foot length gets my back cast over the dunes at low tide.

Its fun to watch others casting spinning rods and reels with lead and braid to the moon, while I'm catching right under their noses!!

20180710_123714.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Edited by yarddog59

12 mins ago, yarddog59 said:

Target the "Trough", there are many fluke in there as well as huge Cow nosed rays when they arrive in August when the water warms. I most times wait till the rays cruise by before casting, to avoid them. Good luck with that!

In early June before the spearing, bay anchovies and assorted swim baits arrive in great numbers, the fluke dine on mole crabs, and I use Bob Pops three feather mole crab fly with great success in  the trough and along the Jersey Jetties or what's left of them ((. 

His Jiggy fly in white, pink, chartreuse or a combination of, works well. When swim bait is present, the surf candy is supreme.

In light current I use an intermediate, but in a deep rip i switch out to a sink line on my  ten foot eight weight.

the ten foot length gets my back cast over the dunes at low tide.

Its fun to watch others casting spinning rods and reels with lead and braid to the moon, while I'm catching right under their noses!!

20180710_123714.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Great thanks! Those ray must put up a hell of a fight on fly, I have caught them before on spinning and they sure fight hard. Im excited to try going for them in the troughs now. Id guess that you some times get a bass while your doing this? And do you tie your own flies or do you buy them? Im not the best at tying right now lol 

I enjoy tying my own. I have been following instructions from the experts and had the pleasure of meeting Bob Popovics at the Fly show several years ago.

He  was one of the tiers at the show and came from behind the vice and guided me around the various vendors picking out the material I needed to tie the mole crab fly. I highly recommend his books to get started.

I catch stripers very often in the Trough early morning, late evening and nasty overcast days while targeting fluke.

Big rays will test your leader construction and knot tying ability. I blundered into a heavyweight one afternoon and needed help to keep him out of the water to retrieve the fly.

Weakfish can be found in the Trough also and will take the same offerings.

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

26 mins ago, yarddog59 said:

I enjoy tying my own. I have been following instructions from the experts and had the pleasure of meeting Bob Popovics at the Fly show several years ago.

He  was one of the tiers at the show and came from behind the vice and guided me around the various vendors picking out the material I needed to tie the mole crab fly. I highly recommend his books to get started.

I catch stripers very often in the Trough early morning, late evening and nasty overcast days while targeting fluke.

Big rays will test your leader construction and knot tying ability. I blundered into a heavyweight one afternoon and needed help to keep him out of the water to retrieve the fly.

Weakfish can be found in the Trough also and will take the same offerings.

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

Thats very neat! Im totally going to get his book. Hoping to start trying to tie some next weekend. I love some good weakfish and so glad you can get such a mix with this method. Hopefully im able to learn how to tie halfway decent so I can get some this season. Thanks for the help!