Jacks

Fly Line for Fluke

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, Mallard1100 said:

Lots of good advice here with different options and it will all depend on what water your are fishing. Although I have had plenty of fluke swim off the bottom from 20 feet to grab a bucktail you still need to be in the strike zone which is on the bottom. Find the tool that will get you there whether it is a full sink, sink tip etc. I did well from the boat last year in an area drifting near some jetty like structure in about 10-15 feet. Light current. I was fishing a 350 full sink and just dredging the bottom. Really fun on the 7wt in the summer.  I didn’t get to fish much for them in the surf but I would like to this year. Planning on using tip or full sink 3ips type like etc. 

EC20E07C-298D-4172-A7D0-1032E5D7B689.jpeg

I agree and feel like dragging the bottom will be the best option. Hopefully I don't get too many sea robbins. Thats a nice fish there too. That rod a tfo?

21 hours ago, Jacks said:

Last summer I purchased airflo WF-8 intermediate super dri cold saltwater for fluke fishing in the summer. I never got around to using it and was wondering if anyone had ever used this line for fluke, or if they think it will work well. 

If I wanted to get a fly deep in any kind of current, an intermediate line would be my last choice.

You mentioned that you already have a floating line, which is a great tool for getting a fly deep in current from shore. Adjust your leader length to depth, chose a heavily weighted fly, and you're in business. If you're not familiar with mending, now is a good time to learn. If you've ever done any nymphing for trout, it will be the same principle.

And as others have mentioned, a full sink line will also help get your fly down.

Hope that helps,

Steve Culton

26 mins ago, Jacks said:

Yeah ive got to check that rate. I think ill play around with some lines and see which one gets closest to the bottom.

Interesting you use such heavy tippet. I was thinking more like 12

For myself it’s more of a bite protection. Fluke have decent teeth to them. Plus the heavier line helps flip that half and half, clouser, cone head sinking fly better. 

2 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

For myself it’s more of a bite protection. Fluke have decent teeth to them. Plus the heavier line helps flip that half and half, clouser, cone head sinking fly better. 

Ah understood thanks

10 mins ago, The Fisherman said:

If I wanted to get a fly deep in any kind of current, an intermediate line would be my last choice.

You mentioned that you already have a floating line, which is a great tool for getting a fly deep in current from shore. Adjust your leader length to depth, chose a heavily weighted fly, and you're in business. If you're not familiar with mending, now is a good time to learn. If you've ever done any nymphing for trout, it will be the same principle.

And as others have mentioned, a full sink line will also help get your fly down.

Hope that helps,

Steve Culton

Yes definitely does help, ive done some nymphing so I know what you mean. I haven't done any mending before though

I would ask where you are looking to target fluke on the fly first.

My fluke fly fishing has been from shore, mainly at IBSP.  There were several places to target them when they were around. Mid summer, very shallow, curl of the wave sort of thing can be very productive with an intermediate line. Flies would be mild to moderately weighted and could be almost any pattern but white and flash always would be a good choice. A very strong second would be crab or shrimp flies fished in the wash. I caught many fluke that way while bass fishing.

Another opportunity that would present it self was early in the mullet run. Anything that was white and silver would work. Generally, a larger fly was better, 4-8". Again, intermediate line being a great choice. You can fish very shallow, a foot or so at times. Fluke will come very tight to the wash for a mullet.

Other places were the channel edges in the inlet. Depending on tide, depth and current an intermediate to type 6 head could be used. At Barnegat inlet there was usually a steep drop off 10-20' from the rocks. One side would be 2-6' depending on tide, the other a sharp drop to 10' or more. You would need to be right on the edge but not necessarily deep. Sink rate depended on current. A type 6 head was generally my go to.

Another place had slightly deeper flats with access to deep water, abundant eel grass and cabbage beds. Line again would be intermediate to type 6 depending on conditions.

From shore, you don't necessarily need to dredge bottom, just be in the lower 1/3-1/2 of the water column is usually good enough. Keeper sized fluke will come up pretty far from the bottom for a meal, smaller fish are more reluctant to leave the safety of the bottom. I once had close to an hour of fishing for fluke on the fly at the north jetty at ibsp in early September. I spotted fish breaking on mullet tight to the rocks. I figured they were small bass, they weren't - all fluke. they were pushing mullet up  and nailing them.  I had several keepers on the fly that day, friends caught their share on bombers. That's certainly not common but not rare either. Other baits are early in the snapper run, fluke will come tight for them as well.

Sadly, given the current status of the stock I think targeting fluke on the fly is iffy at best currently. If i was going to do it from shore I would look for shallow spots with access to deeper water - say 2-4' to 4-8' or I'd look right in the surf line. Surf, I'd fish the lower half of the tide, Inlets I would fish right around slack.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:24 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

Full sink or heavy tip fly line....

Clouser Fly...

Boat required, unless you're fishing a breachway channel.

Try some poly leaders to get the fly down just that little bit  extra , do not use nylon leader or tippet material it wants to float use floruocarbon it likes to sink

13 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I would ask where you are looking to target fluke on the fly first.

My fluke fly fishing has been from shore, mainly at IBSP.  There were several places to target them when they were around. Mid summer, very shallow, curl of the wave sort of thing can be very productive with an intermediate line. Flies would be mild to moderately weighted and could be almost any pattern but white and flash always would be a good choice. A very strong second would be crab or shrimp flies fished in the wash. I caught many fluke that way while bass fishing.

Another opportunity that would present it self was early in the mullet run. Anything that was white and silver would work. Generally, a larger fly was better, 4-8". Again, intermediate line being a great choice. You can fish very shallow, a foot or so at times. Fluke will come very tight to the wash for a mullet.

Other places were the channel edges in the inlet. Depending on tide, depth and current an intermediate to type 6 head could be used. At Barnegat inlet there was usually a steep drop off 10-20' from the rocks. One side would be 2-6' depending on tide, the other a sharp drop to 10' or more. You would need to be right on the edge but not necessarily deep. Sink rate depended on current. A type 6 head was generally my go to.

Another place had slightly deeper flats with access to deep water, abundant eel grass and cabbage beds. Line again would be intermediate to type 6 depending on conditions.

From shore, you don't necessarily need to dredge bottom, just be in the lower 1/3-1/2 of the water column is usually good enough. Keeper sized fluke will come up pretty far from the bottom for a meal, smaller fish are more reluctant to leave the safety of the bottom. I once had close to an hour of fishing for fluke on the fly at the north jetty at ibsp in early September. I spotted fish breaking on mullet tight to the rocks. I figured they were small bass, they weren't - all fluke. they were pushing mullet up  and nailing them.  I had several keepers on the fly that day, friends caught their share on bombers. That's certainly not common but not rare either. Other baits are early in the snapper run, fluke will come tight for them as well.

Sadly, given the current status of the stock I think targeting fluke on the fly is iffy at best currently. If i was going to do it from shore I would look for shallow spots with access to deeper water - say 2-4' to 4-8' or I'd look right in the surf line. Surf, I'd fish the lower half of the tide, Inlets I would fish right around slack.

Interesting. Im going to try and make some new flies and try them out, not too heavy to drag the bottom but just low enough. Im thinking from boat fishing drop offs.

Had quite a few fluke this summer along a stretch I fish regularly.  Go with a full sink, shorten your leader to 4' and slow strip over sandy bottoms around points, bowls and structure where there is current.  It's a fun change of pace.  Cant go wrong with clousers of various colors in the size 1 to 2/0 range.  Their tougher setting a hook than expected an often come toward you on the strike or spit the fly quicker than you can react. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

6 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Had quite a few fluke this summer along a stretch I fish regularly.  Go with a full sink, shorten your leader to 4' and slow strip over sandy bottoms around points, bowls and structure where there is current.  It's a fun change of pace.  Cant go wrong with clousers of various colors in the size 1 to 2/0 range.  Their tougher setting a hook than expected an often come toward you on the strike or spit the fly quicker than you can react. 

Hm interesting. Im excited to tie some new designs for fluke now. Def fun, looking for something to do when the bass aren't around as heavy. Suprised its hard to set the hook, figure its he same as a bass

3 hours ago, Quonnie said:

Try some poly leaders to get the fly down just that little bit  extra , do not use nylon leader or tippet material it wants to float use floruocarbon it likes to sink

If you really want to fish exclusively for fluke and have greater success, use a tandem fly rig.....

One green Clouser, the other a Squid-sicle

Sept digital.jpg

Squid-sicle.JPG

17 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

If you really want to fish exclusively for fluke and have greater success, use a tandem fly rig.....

Sept digital.jpg

Squid-sicle.JPG

Orange or pink squid flies have drawn alot of fluke for me also. You can dredge with full sink line or fish an intermediate if in 3-6 ft of water, only need to be in the bottom half of the water column...fluke are aggressive and will eagerly rise for a well presented meal.

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Sept digital.jpg

Squid-sicle.JPG

Interesting. Do you tie the clouser as a dropper off the squid? 

41 mins ago, Mallard1100 said:

Interesting. Do you tie the clouser as a dropper off the squid? 

The squid fly would be the dropper in this case.

You want the heavier Clouser to bump along the bottom keeping the leader straight.

Sometimes bright colors work too. Try that?

Ordinary I use the squid fly on it's own for other species.

19 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Sept digital.jpg

Squid-sicle.JPG

Sweet def going to try that. Thanks