Fly Line for Fluke

Rate this topic

Jacks

Last summer I purchased airflo WF-8 intermediate super dri cold saltwater for fluke fishing in the summer. I never got around to using it and was wondering if anyone had ever used this line for fluke, or if they think it will work well. 

12 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Why would it not?  Any intermediate or sinking line's in the ballpark.

Im not an expert with fly lines and have never done much fishing with intermediate lines, so wasn't sure. Thanks for the info

It all depends on water depth and current speed. If I were flyrodding for fluke I could take home, I'd do it from a boat, and I'd use whatever gave me a decent drift with the fly within a foot or so of the bottom. Since I'm usually on shore, an intermediate will do me. It's my do-it-all line of choice. I don't target fluke, they're a bycatch that turn up when working a fly close to the bottom. 

6 mins ago, BrianBM said:

It all depends on water depth and current speed. If I were flyrodding for fluke I could take home, I'd do it from a boat, and I'd use whatever gave me a decent drift with the fly within a foot or so of the bottom. Since I'm usually on shore, an intermediate will do me. It's my do-it-all line of choice. I don't target fluke, they're a bycatch that turn up when working a fly close to the bottom. 

Yeah, interesting. I'm going to experiment going from a boat and from shore, see which works better. I use floating 90% of the time so intermediate will be a new experience

10 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Full sink or heavy tip fly line....

Clouser Fly...

Boat required, unless you're fishing a breachway channel.

Great thanks. I was thinking of wading and casting to a drop off, will see if that works

1 hour ago, Jacks said:

Great thanks. I was thinking of wading and casting to a drop off, will see if that works

Not sure where you are but sometimes they're in the trough right off the whitewash along Ocean Beaches. They also love the pocket corners inside Jetties. Regarding a boat, the current will be just as important as depth whether your Intermediate will get down low enough. In strong currents a full sink might be a better option. All depends where and when as tidal stage effects that as well. 

4 hours ago, brushfly said:

Not sure where you are but sometimes they're in the trough right off the whitewash along Ocean Beaches. They also love the pocket corners inside Jetties. Regarding a boat, the current will be just as important as depth whether your Intermediate will get down low enough. In strong currents a full sink might be a better option. All depends where and when as tidal stage effects that as well. 

Yeah, I'm on long island and the current we have isn't crazy, the deepest water I fish is 10ft. Hopefully the intermediate works fine

51 mins ago, jerseystriper said:

I use a 6wgt during summer- Int line- then I took a old sink tip line cut 6 feet off it- tie it in at the end- simple 6 foot 12 pound leader and clousers. Spend the summer walking the beach after dinner for fluke/sea robins and odd ball striper. Fish the usual drop offs etc. 

Very interesting with the cut off. Hoping to do the same thing, just have some fun catching em

You can go one step up from the intermediate line to a line like 175 gr. It’s easy to cast sinks at a reasonable rate. Look at per foot of sink rate. Fishing from shore you don’t need a line that’s 8+ inches per foot. 

leader wise keep it simple and short. A sinking line you’d want that fly right at the same level as that line. A simple 40 lb butt section of a foot, then loop a 4 foot of your tippet, typically 20-25lb. 

Lots of good advice here with different options and it will all depend on what water your are fishing. Although I have had plenty of fluke swim off the bottom from 20 feet to grab a bucktail you still need to be in the strike zone which is on the bottom. Find the tool that will get you there whether it is a full sink, sink tip etc. I did well from the boat last year in an area drifting near some jetty like structure in about 10-15 feet. Light current. I was fishing a 350 full sink and just dredging the bottom. Really fun on the 7wt in the summer.  I didn’t get to fish much for them in the surf but I would like to this year. Planning on using tip or full sink 3ips type like etc. 

EC20E07C-298D-4172-A7D0-1032E5D7B689.jpeg

20 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

You can go one step up from the intermediate line to a line like 175 gr. It’s easy to cast sinks at a reasonable rate. Look at per foot of sink rate. Fishing from shore you don’t need a line that’s 8+ inches per foot. 

leader wise keep it simple and short. A sinking line you’d want that fly right at the same level as that line. A simple 40 lb butt section of a foot, then loop a 4 foot of your tippet, typically 20-25lb. 

Yeah ive got to check that rate. I think ill play around with some lines and see which one gets closest to the bottom.

Interesting you use such heavy tippet. I was thinking more like 12