Vt coast

lures for trout at ice out

20 posts in this topic

I plan on fishing a local pond that fishes well in the spring after ice out. At that time it is mostly stocked rainbows that are caught; yet there are a few good brown trout around also. 3" smelt type flies work ok for me; but I'm bringing a spin fishing friend and I'm not sure what lures would be good to use.  Maybe a mepps, a rapala? Any thoughts of lures to use for this situation would be great...thanks

Small Dardevles, Mepps, Rooster Tails.  Maybe a Countdown Rapala, size 5 or 7, for the bigger browns.

I would start out using small jerk baits like a Husky Jerk or similar type. If that doesn’t work I would go with an even slower presentation and switch to a float and jig. You can try hair jigs or Trout Magnets. Either one should work. Keep adjusting the depth until you start getting bit. Depending on how deep the pond is, you may have to go pretty deep which would make a slip bobber a better choice than a standard fixed one.

I like floating Rapala's, Rooster Tails, Kastmasters, and last but not least - Powerbait.  The lures are small, about 2 inches.  With some split shot you can cover the whole water column.  I will use small bucktails or even a nymph or emerger fly under a bobber, as well.

Roostertails are my go-to and what makes them my go-to is that you can get the blade to spin at a very slow speed and that is often the key... If not that then one of the clear floats and a fly behind it.

Lots of options to choose from, thanks for those. Would a swivel up the leader a bit be helpful to keep from twisting?

On 1/12/2022 at 4:12 PM, Bwstriper44 said:

A simple Joe’s fly has never done me wrong.

Those are like fish crack.  I found one at a pond and hammered multiple species with it, then bought a bunch more.