ASMFC has released the latest draft of Amenbdment 7

Rate this topic

CWitek

19 hours ago, 27conch said:

Your talking about NJ, CWitek.  No chance in hell they shut down RB..It's the only game in town right now as the Spring ocean season is pretty much dead.

Depending on what ends up in Amendment 7, it could be the best of a lot of bad options.

One option currently in the Draft Amendment reads:

"All recreational targeting of striped bass would be prohibited for a minimum two-week period to reduce fishing effort during times when the striped bass fishery is particularly active in each state."  [emphasis added]

Depending on the standard used for "particularly active" (the proposed standards are either 15% of directred trrips or 25% of direected trips), the choice may be between closing for a couple weeks in March/April or for a couple of weeks in November/December, with the latter being the most importrant 2-week period in terms of directed trips.

Of course, New Jersey being New Jersey, I would expect them to try to close the first two weeks of March or the last two weeks of December, when the fewest fish are caught.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

23 hours ago, CWitek said:

Of course, New Jersey being New Jersey, I would expect them to try to close the first two weeks of March or the last two weeks of December, when the fewest fish are caught.

March would be ideal, I think that’s when RB is flush with spawning bass heading north. Not sure of that exact timeline in NJ, but many fish are already north of the TZ bridge by mid March. I don’t do FB, but a quick look could tell one when the fish are present in RB.
 By November/Dec. the fishing pressure should be very low and would have little effect. Huge numbers of bass do exit the Hudson in late Dec., but few NY and NJ boats are out trying to catch them. 
  The word ‘targeting’ is not strong enough. It’s hard to enforce on dry land, and almost impossible out on the water.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

2 hours ago, cheech said:

March would be ideal, I think that’s when RB is flush with spawning bass heading north. Not sure of that exact timeline in NJ, but many fish are already north of the TZ bridge by mid March. I don’t do FB, but a quick look could tell one when the fish are present in RB.
 By November/Dec. the fishing pressure should be very low and would have little effect. Huge numbers of bass do exit the Hudson in late Dec., but few NY and NJ boats are out trying to catch them. 
  The word ‘targeting’ is not strong enough. It’s hard to enforce on dry land, and almost impossible out on the water.

In many years, November/December sees the most directed striped bass trips out of Nrw Jersey ports.  In other years, March/April does, but the long-term average favors the late fall, trip-wise.

Enforcing a non-targeting regulation is pretty near impossible on the coast.  In the rivers, where there are few other big fish, it’s a little easier.  But on the coast, it’s very hard.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams