Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CWitek

ASMFC has released the latest draft of Amenbdment 7

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

The expected time line and subject of management triggers now seem intentionally nefarious.  After the asmfc removed the proposal for adjusting the benchmark as a result of strong public outcry, their now dragging their feet and playing with management triggers in a way that seems to achieve their original short term goal which was to essentially increase the amount of fish needing to be killed before overfishing is declared. Their aware of the overfishing. The asmfc dont care.  This is a back door way of clogging the lanes of change to alow all financially involved interests to continue utilizing the resource in an irresponsible way while perpetuating on-going conjecture and creating the on-going illusion of responsible regulation. This is a short term ploy in the pocket of the asmfc's handlers. 

The asmfc are trying to trick the public, their inaction alone demonstrate their malevolence for any of our public comments or for recovering striped bass through actual sustainable regulation.

Edited by DeepBlue85

10 hours ago, CWitek said:

LePage was a jackass.  I suspect the email was pure intrastate politics, with LePage’s personality—or lack thereof—driving the response.

Possibly but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth when the person responsible is telling the governor I wrote everything is great when you and I both know that hasn't been the case for years.

All the idiots pushing for public comments are just pawns that are part of the bigger game. The public comments and meetings mean nothing. The ASMFC and all of their associated cronies are malicious dogs. I've attended the meetings and see the reactions. When presented with facts they look down at their shoes. Little rats.

11 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

The expected time line and subject of management triggers now seem intentionally nefarious.  After the asmfc removed the proposal for adjusting the benchmark as a result of strong public outcry, their now dragging their feet and playing with management triggers in a way that seems to achieve their original short term goal which was to essentially increase the amount of fish needing to be killed before overfishing is declared. Their aware of the overfishing. The asmfc dont care.  This is a back door way of clogging the lanes of change to alow all financially involved interests to continue utilizing the resource in an irresponsible way while perpetuating on-going conjecture and creating the on-going illusion of responsible regulation. This is a short term ploy in the pocket of the asmfc's handlers. 

The asmfc are trying to trick the public, their inaction alone demonstrate their malevolence for any of our public comments or for recovering striped bass through actual sustainable regulation.

Depends wihich triggeers you're talking about.  

The proposals for the fishing mortality triggers are bad, and will cause delay.

Some of the changes to the biomass triggers make sense, and could actually speed rebuilding when tripped, although the notion of eliminating either (not both) the biomass target or biomass threshold trigger is a bad idea.

The proposed changes to the recruitment trigger would all be better than what we have now,.

I'm not a big fan of efforts to defer management action, but only the two options that are designated B and F are likely to cause any harm.  C, D, and E aren't really much different than the current Management Triggers 2 and 4.

Right now, I wouldn't characterize all of the Management Board members the way you did, although I do think that it applies well to the New Jersey delegation, part of the Maryland delegation, and some of the other members.  Other Management Board members are trying hard to do the right thing.

The current Draft Amendment 7 is trying to include options that address issues raised by all Board members, so there is still some bad things there, particularly in the triggers section.  But the majority of the Board members did listen to comments, and made the draft amendment meaningfully better than what was proposed, so I'm not giving up on Amendment 7 just yet.

2 mins ago, 8 & Bait said:

All the idiots pushing for public comments are just pawns that are part of the bigger game. The public comments and meetings mean nothing. The ASMFC and all of their associated cronies are malicious dogs. I've attended the meetings and see the reactions. When presented with facts they look down at their shoes. Little rats.

Absolutely untrue.  Read the transcript of the May 2021 meeting to get an idea of the impact that public comments can have on the outcome.

There are some people on the Management Board who don't care about public comments.  The New Jersey Governor's Appointee is probably the best example of those.  But comments can and have impacted outcomes.  Not always, but often enough to make it worth the effort.

The real threat to the bass, to fisheries in general, and to the poltical process are people who discourage others from participating in the system, and serve only to reduce the public's ability to effect change.  Sitting on one's hands accomplishes nothing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, CWitek said:

Absolutely untrue.  Read the transcript of the May 2021 meeting to get an idea of the impact that public comments can have on the outcome.

There are some people on the Management Board who don't care about public comments.  The New Jersey Governor's Appointee is probably the best example of those.  But comments can and have impacted outcomes.  Not always, but often enough to make it worth the effort.

The real threat to the bass, to fisheries in general, and to the poltical process are people who discourage others from participating in the system, and serve only to reduce the public's ability to effect change.  Sitting on one's hands accomplishes nothing.

If the NJ representative has a track record of not being responsive to his public's comments shouldn't he be removed? Why is he still on the board. And he is one of "those" implying there is more than one? What is that about? The fact that public comments are "not always, but often enough" used that should be all the evidence we need. What a joke that statement is. That is like saying if 30 people are prescribed antibiotics and only 22 take them for the full course that's enough the other 8 will be alright with other "home grown treatments". But anti-biotic resistant microbes aren't really a big deal...  The fact that the funding for ASMFC comes from federal and state sources of a democratic nation; and yet the public's comments and best interest are not always put at the forefront is the sad reality of our fisheries management situation. 

Its funny, big pharma abandoned development of treatments for anti-biotic resistant bacteria because of lack of potential monetary gain. (Essentially, if we take the time to develop new anti-biotics they will treat the bacteria and people will get better making us less money). Instead opting to throw money at research to prolong life of those with life long illnesses. Maybe the ASMFC is just taking one out of their playbook to prolong the inevitable because that's where the real money is...

I am encouraging people to do something. Kill their limit. The faster we get to 0 the faster the ASFMC has to actually do something legitimate. 

Edited by 8 & Bait

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think a better analogy for the asmfc's dereliction of duty would be the army core of engineers adopting projects they know will never be solved.  In the case of the asmfc, their simply obstructing proper regulation through their own dishonest declarations and their totalitarian position as regulators whom clearly, answer to no one.  Except of course their political handlers.

Edited by DeepBlue85