Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CWitek

ASMFC has released the latest draft of Amenbdment 7

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

Ny has a moratorium on both food fish licenses needed to sell fish and new bass licenses, tags are non transferable. Tag holder must be on the vessel harvesting bass. 

20 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Ny has a moratorium on both food fish licenses needed to sell fish and new bass licenses, tags are non transferable. Tag holder must be on the vessel harvesting bass. 

Thnx. Good to know....RI has Exit/Entry mandate for all new commercial licenses (all species/ gear types)....

2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Although from what a pinhooker friend told me, there’s a lot of folks not sticking to the rules; I understand that there are a number of older folks who can’t take a full day on the water any more who are handing their tags over to others, in return for a share of the money paid for the fish.

i can’t confirm that’s the truth, but the fisherman who told me claims to know some elderly tag holders who have chosen that path.

@CWitek - thanks for this, but more importantly, thanks for the details on your Blog.  Looking forward to Sunday's edition...

The Recreational folks need to be cognizant that yes, we should be concerned on the Commercial side, BUT remember what Pogo said, "We have met the enemy and he is US!!"   

Keep in mind that we will, and should, bear the brunt of any regulatory positions that reduce bass mortality, which will probably include C&R fishing when extreme cuts are necessary.  Many of us love to point fingers at commercial fishing, but recoil in horror when measures to constrain our fishing are put forward...

4 hours ago, CWitek said:

Although from what a pinhooker friend told me, there’s a lot of folks not sticking to the rules; I understand that there are a number of older folks who can’t take a full day on the water any more who are handing their tags over to others, in return for a share of the money paid for the fish.

i can’t confirm that’s the truth, but the fisherman who told me claims to know some elderly tag holders who have chosen that path.

That would mean a world of trouble for the boat operator and tag holder. There are lots of guys who have tags who will go on a gillnetter , fill their tags and split the sale price with the boat owner. Completely legit. I don’t know of anyone  willing to use someone else’s tags. It could happen but the risk is all too real. The DRC is up the commercial guys asses at the dock during bass season looking for just that 

NYorkers, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that hook & line tags could not be used on gill netted fish and visa versa.

54 mins ago, MakoMike said:

NYorkers, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that hook & line tags could not be used on gill netted fish and visa versa.

There are no gear restrictions on the tags.  Just one class of commercial bass tag, that are good for hook and line, gill nets, pound nets and the supposed "bycatch" trawl fishery.

45 mins ago, CWitek said:

There are no gear restrictions on the tags.  Just one class of commercial bass tag, that are good for hook and line, gill nets, pound nets and the supposed "bycatch" trawl fishery.

O.K. Thanks. I remember some brouhaha over tags being used on gill netters but I guess that had more to do with transferring tags rather than they fish they were used on.

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

O.K. Thanks. I remember some brouhaha over tags being used on gill netters but I guess that had more to do with transferring tags rather than they fish they were used on.

It was what @pakalolo referred to above.  Folks who had been pinhookers--from what I've been told, generally aging fishermen who either can't or don't want to oiperate their own boats anymore--were going out with gillnetters, and using their tags on gillnet-caught fish, and splitting whatever was paid for the fish.

That is completely legal, so long as the tagholder is present when the fish are caught.  However, at least some pinhookers--and that's who I'm getting my information from--are unhappy with the recent expansion of the gill net fishery, saying that gillnetters can drop relatively large quantities of fish on the market at one time, and cause prices to drop.  One pinhooker told me that he once called the market when he went out in the morning, and was told that it was paying $4/lb, or a little more, for bass, then showed up at the same buyer at the end of the day to find that it was only paying around $2.50/lb, because a gillnetter (or maybe more than one gillnetter) had dropped a good load of fish, driving the price down.  So some of the pinhookers were, and to sopme extent still are, making a fuss about it, and saying that, at least some of the time, the tagholders aren't even on the boat when their tags are used.

Is what I'm being told 100% true, or is it being distorted a bit after being seen through a pinhooker's lens?  That, I don't know, but as Pakalolo mentioned, if someone was caught using an absent fishermen's tags, the DEC would not be pleased.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would LOVE to see there be a later season opening and if you wish to harvest one of the large breeders that you would have to purchase a tag to do so on top of your regular license fee. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much anti licensing fees, but if we don't protect the breeding stock we're in for big trouble. I see it all over FB, we need to protect them, the next thing you know, they're showing a 50" Rock dead on the deck.

Edited by ReeferRob

3 mins ago, ReeferRob said:

I would LOVE to see there be a later season opening and if you wish to harvest one of the large breeders that you would have to purchase a tag to do so on top of your regular license fee. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much anti licensing, but if we don't protect the breeding stock we're in for big trouble. I see it all over FB, we need to protect them, the next thing you know, they're showing a 50" Rock dead on the deck.

You're down in Maryland, which is the onlyt state in the country where a recreational fisherman is allowed to keep a bass larger than 38"--and in most states, it's a maximum of 35 (I think New Jersey at 38" and Virginia at 36" are the only exceptions).

That really ought to change.  If we're to have a 28- to 35-inch slot, it ought to be in place along the entire coast, with no exceptions.

3 mins ago, CWitek said:

You're down in Maryland, which is the onlyt state in the country where a recreational fisherman is allowed to keep a bass larger than 38"--and in most states, it's a maximum of 35 (I think New Jersey at 38" and Virginia at 36" are the only exceptions).

That really ought to change.  If we're to have a 28- to 35-inch slot, it ought to be in place along the entire coast, with no exceptions.

Yeah, the coastal limit is that, but not the bay. I'd like to see it be a slot like Redfish up and down the entire range. I won't keep one larger than 30-32" anyway, I don't like wormy fish. We have a round worm problem in the bay.

@CWitek you mentioned the technical committee has determined that reducing mortality is the only way to rebuild the stock, and special slot limits to protect the 2015-2018 year classes aren’t effective. Does the model they use take into account that it’s harder to fool/catch a large SSB than it is to fool a 28” 2015 fish?

Next year we will be catching 28” fish like crazy, but a larger fish from the 2011 year class might be pretty hard to catch cause they are “smarter” and there aren’t as many of them around. Why not put the slot limit squarely in the middle of the leaner year classes. We know there’s a big gap between 28” and say 42”. 32-38” sounds like a good slot limit to me that will reduce mortality AND protect the better year classes.

What do you think?

18 mins ago, Pickerel92 said:

@CWitek you mentioned the technical committee has determined that reducing mortality is the only way to rebuild the stock, and special slot limits to protect the 2015-2018 year classes aren’t effective. Does the model they use take into account that it’s harder to fool/catch a large SSB than it is to fool a 28” 2015 fish?

Next year we will be catching 28” fish like crazy, but a larger fish from the 2011 year class might be pretty hard to catch cause they are “smarter” and there aren’t as many of them around. Why not put the slot limit squarely in the middle of the leaner year classes. We know there’s a big gap between 28” and say 42”. 32-38” sounds like a good slot limit to me that will reduce mortality AND protect the better year classes.

What do you think?

What you suggest is a subjective measure that the Technical Committee can't quantify in a mathmatical model, so it wouldn't be something that the Committee would consider.

It turned out that a combination of two fish between 18 and 23 inches (I think) and a 35-inch minimum size on the coast looked like it would increase the biomass more than anything else, but because such increase would still fall within the confidence interval of the calculation, it wasn't a statistically meaningful finding.

In the calculations, the Technical Committee assumes that effort would remain constant, and so merely shift to other segments of the population.  If effort changed as a result of the shifted size limits, that, too would make a difference, but that is another thing that can only be guessed, not quantified.