coastalfreak

Cheap vs. Expensive Equipment for Kayak Angling

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

54 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Middle of the road for me too. I wish I told you I leash all my gear because I don't. With that being said I have donated middle of the road stuff once....ok twice. 

Funny thing, I haven't lost a rod out of the yak yet, but I DID accidentally throw a rod in from shore (don't ask how).  Once that thing hit the water, it was gone.  Crashing surf off the rocks, water where it fell in was only 4 or 5 ft deep and super clear.  Could not find it at all.  Luckily it was a cheaper rig.

Now I probably jinxed myself...:banghd:

Edited by Skunkoff

I do not tether because im always moving rods around the holders. Only thing that i tether is my mirage drive. I just don't bring anything im not prepared to loose. I lost 2 combos in 8 years and neither was expensive. 

For surf landings and sometimes launches i stow my reels, FF, gear boxes in a large dry bag that i strap to the kayak. I strap the rods to the side of the yak incase i flip.

I did watch my buddy lose over 2k worth of gear on his first (and last) surf launch. 

55 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

I do not tether because im always moving rods around the holders.

I do too, that's why the butt buoy system works so well. 

3 hours ago, odiemike86 said:

I'm going to give that a try this year. How do you attach the line to the rod butt?

I heat seal the end of the rope well, then put a ~1.5" round head SS sheet metal screw with a SS washer through the rope an inch or so from the end into a piloted hole in the rod butt. Never been too clear to me what's in there, but it holds.  On the pool noodle end I cut a big washer out of polyethylene or polypropylene, the top of a takeout container would do. Just stick it through and knot it.

Edited by gellfex

There are durable, light, high performance rods out there and they have been for decades and they are not rediculously expensive. United Composites. Have never had a failure with any of my saltwater, fly rod, or freshwater rods, youngest one is 15+ years old.

Ugly stick and a 712 with a backup of the same stored below deck.

No floats. Tryed it and didnt like the ergonomics.

No leashes. When I go over, the less lines/cordage,the better. 

I have tested my Scotty rod holder during a capsize. It held the rod fine and didn't add any significant drag when righting my boat. If it gets in the way during a real emergency, a quick yank and let it sink. Same goes for the rest of my fishing gear.