coastalfreak

Cheap vs. Expensive Equipment for Kayak Angling

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Hey y’all, got a question for my kayak anglers out there. 

I’ve been looking at both cheap and expensive kayak setups for a week or two, and I was wondering if you prefer more beater gear for kayak or the expensive stuff. 

Ive considered something like an SSV for maximum sealing and performance in the elements, but knowing my clumsiness I’m afraid it’ll go over at some point. In which case, I would go with something like a Sienna or Nexave, but who knows how long those would hold up in conditions where they are getting splashed. 

Any thoughts? 
Thanks.

CF

I mean , with me when it comes to any gear I usually like to buy what I can afford. I’d rather buy quality stuff that will last instead of having to buy the same things possibly every year due to cheapness. But it all comes Down to expense and how much you can afford ya know. 

1 hour ago, coastalfreak said:

Hey y’all, got a question for my kayak anglers out there. 

I’ve been looking at both cheap and expensive kayak setups for a week or two, and I was wondering if you prefer more beater gear for kayak or the expensive stuff. 

Ive considered something like an SSV for maximum sealing and performance in the elements, but knowing my clumsiness I’m afraid it’ll go over at some point. In which case, I would go with something like a Sienna or Nexave, but who knows how long those would hold up in conditions where they are getting splashed. 

Any thoughts? 
Thanks.

CF

Buy it once and take care of it.  I don't necessarily used sealed reels but then again, I don't expect to roll-even though you should rig to roll.  Make sure everything is tethered too.  You may think I didn't answer your question but you need to consider the roll over factor too.  If you buy a $1000 reel or a $100 reel you need to consider what happens if you roll over.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think if think you might offer stuff to the sea gods. Buy really cheap stuff then. If you worry you might butterfinger something nice.

Even the cheapest like a Laguna LT. Which is a pretty good reel.  I have 3.. i usually keep it on a 4pc rod in the trunk.  scooby did a video on it a while back. If you grease up any points of entry.  Splashes dont affect reels to much unlike full dunk and cranking. Then fish it good. Probably last 2 3 years. At like 30 to 50 a pop.  Buying 2 reels is still 100 tops.

Pair it with a cheap fw 1-3oz rod, med heavy power.  You can build a setup for around $60.. just a thought.

I dont think youll be worrying much about it if you roll. Lol

Edited by ooeric

I think organization is key. Keep stuff tied down if you aren't using it. Chances are you won't lose a rod when it's in your hand. You lose it when you set it down to do something else.

Like ppl said, feather the stuff. For baitcast reels I use Quantum Smoke inshore. Spinning I like sealed reels, Spinfisher, Slammer3, Shield, Saltx. A comfortable pfd, I use NRS Chinook. It’s made for kayaks. 

Middle of the road. Daiwa bg, Penn clash, and okuma avenger are the reels I use on my kayak. Jigging world and daiwa rods. Nice enough and plenty capable but I won’t be as sad as I would be if I dropped a gosa overboard 

When I kayak,expect everything to get dunked at some point each trip. I use cheap rods like Ugly Stick or a broken tip rod that I modified. Rods have pipe insulation wrapped around so they float.

Reels take a bashing and I have had cheaper reels fail on me at crucial moments. The only item I dont skimp on now is the reel and use VS 100. It has its own lanyard connected to the kayak. Everything is tied down and organised, minimal and simple, even down to just one rod now. 

Edited by Coutel

Take it with a grain of salt as I only fished from the yak a few times. However, I used a pool noodle taped on by the butt end of the two rods - my shorter inshore rods with my regular inshore reels. One was super cheap disposable sorta deal and the other one was a budget friendly Nasci. 

I actually dropped the combo with the cheaper reel overboard and got it back. (That reel crapped out a month later despite a rinse with bottled water.)

I also dropped the paddle overboard and it floated & I retrieved it because I had another paddle. Just something to keep in mind.

I had a makeshift tether but it was tangling with everything and I cut it off. 

Watch YT vids for ideas on securing or safeguarding all your gear. Lots of amazing creative DIY stuff. 

Beater is the smart way to go but I personally enjoy fishing with quality rods and reels and they are the only things I leash.   99% of the time I only go out with 2 setups and my boga gets attached to a pool noodle.  Any additional setups beyond 2 and accessories are priced to be sacrifices.

When I can I build things myself and try to do quality work that will last my manual power pole is as good and strong than anything you can buy 70 $ vs 350$ for similar. You can make fine crates, rod  leashes, safety flags,mounts etc and save money61df5983ae703_IMG_20211205_134042370_HDR2.jpg.e3b11ebaa84c33ee1ab24a1db8e59354.jpg

I use less expensive rods, they don’t last me a year I salt. I’ve tried more expensive and less, both last the same time. To me less expensive means less than $60. 

Reels are middle of the road and they last for 2-3 years. 

As for rods 

The smart choice would be to go with something cheap, if I know I'm doing something more risky like a beach launch, or going out in less than ideal conditions I bring significantly less gear 

As for reels I'm one to argue and say spend a bit more and buy a nicer reel or two ( not stupid expensive) 

I had a nasci that I used and babied from shore for several years

Never had a problem

Started kayak fishing with it and within a couple months a few of the bearings were on the way out the door  from saltwater splashes and the occasional wash over during beach launch /landing 

Bought a gosa to replace it and haven't second guessed  it ever since 

I usually go middle to high end. Casting is an avet Mx and spinning are slammer iii and clash ii. Leash all the rods to the back. I really like building my own rods. The cheap reels tend to be heavy and hinder performance. I know a bunch of guys that by the Chinese reels of of Amazon they just replace them every year. Surf launching vs bayside is different. The odds of rolling launching or landing in the bay is low compared to the ocean. Reels can be stored below deck but having a high end rod either sticking straight up or laying on top is just asking for it to be snapped or crushed. I got lucky and haven’t broken one but I won’t be bringing those rods out ocean side again.