smath

Collapsible net for wade fishing for Steelhead

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a collapsible net for fly-fishing for steelhead. I fish the Lake Erie tribs and I'll be wading so I want a net I can hang on my back. I have a conventional wood trout net but it's too small for SH. Any recommendations?

5 hours ago, smath said:

I'm looking for a collapsible net for fly-fishing for steelhead. I fish the Lake Erie tribs and I'll be wading so I want a net I can hang on my back. I have a conventional wood trout net but it's too small for SH. Any recommendations?

get regular net for eyes with colapable handle.i put the net on stringer in clip on belt.work fine.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Another option to consider is just get a bigger net and tuck the handle under your wading belt. Fishpond and some other brands also have wading belts with net holders built into them. Net will be out of your way behind your back.

Much easier in my opinion then trying to unfold a net while playing a fish.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

4 hours ago, Stonefish said:

Another option to consider is just get a bigger net and tuck the handle under your wading belt. Fishpond and some other brands also have wading belts with net holders built into them. Net will be out of your way behind your back.

Much easier in my opinion then trying to unfold a net while playing a fish.

SF

tested 30 years,work best.

Bring a friend as a net man. ;)  I agree with everyone else.  30 years on the Ontario tribs and a few in Northern Ca. . Don't trust the chromer of a lifetime to a folding nightmare. I used a few traveling and backpacking, but they  really were kind of a pain and not sturdy enough for a double digit fish. On the Salmon River , it's common to carry in a big net with a long handle and leave it on the bank.  you're less tempted to beat fish on rocks and a rubber bag does them no damage . Even works for pics, them not looking like fish pretzels in a wide bag.

Edited by bloosfisher

The last couple outings I've been wrangling these fish by hand. The end game is the hardest part when you're alone. If all goes well I can get the fish into shallow water, grab it by the tail and get the hook out without taking the fish out of the water. Sometimes they're not ready to give up and it gets interesting. Barbless hooks help a lot. Last season I had a big fish on and a nearby angler (with a net) offered to net the fish for me. On the first swipe he got half the fish in the net before it flopped out, on the second try he got the entire fish in the net but he got hooked in the thumb by the second fly (I was fishing a two-fly rig), he screamed in pain, jerked the net, and the fish was gone. Lucky for him the hook was barbless - it popped right out and, except for a single drop of blood, he was none the worse for it.

I use an extra pair of suspenders made in a X and meet stays nice and tight, wading , chasing , no flopping around:rav:

I'm using cheap net from Walmart hanging on the back of my vest with magnetic holder. You just need to cut the handle short not to interfere with your cast. My friend added leash to the net just in case. This setup is working for me for years. 

Not an expert and never really used a net for any type of fishing.  But, my son comes with me and likes the idea of netting his fish and keeping them in the water, plus he doesnt like to hold fish yet.  I bought him this Frabil and it is surprisingly easy to use and pretty sturdy.  Have put teen size drum in it .  Just and option for something cheap and to me decent..

20220113_205818.jpg

20220113_205916.jpg

Edited by beatonem

3 hours ago, beatonem said:

I bought him this Frabil and it is surprisingly easy to use and pretty sturdy.  Have put teen size drum in it .  Just and option for something cheap and to me decent..

Do you know which model Frabil this is? There are several models and sizes. Thanks.

15 hours ago, smath said:

Do you know which model Frabil this is? There are several models and sizes. Thanks.

No model number, got it at Wallymart like 20 bucks.  Thought it was mis priced but it scanned correctly.