bdowning

Mass unveils new proof-of-vaccination website

Rate this topic

454 posts in this topic

1 min ago, jmei said:

The challenge with traditional inactive or weakened viral vaccines is that they take a long, long time to develop and manufacture, and with a new coronavirus that is structurally quite different than the influenza virus (they are genomically quite different, have different incubation/replication periods, different spike protein, different mutation rates, etc.), it would have (and indeed has) taken much longer to produce and evaluate traditional egg protein-based vaccines despite substantial effort, especially by medium/low-income countries where mRNA vaccine penetration is low.

Honestly, the ability to develop, obtain regulatory approval for and manufacture/disseminate multiple novel coronavirus vaccines (a class of virus for which no vaccine had ever been developed before) in less than a year is as impressive a human achievement as we’ve had in recent history. The COVID vaccines have alleviated an immense amount of human suffering. 

Or have they added to it ? Human suffering i mean . The numbers are  fudged to fit the narrative ! Doctors stick to the side of big pharma so they are always going to be pro vaccine ! If the big 3 wanted to end human suffering thru thse vaccines they would give out there recipe so all nations could build it and help there people! That does not fit there narrative human suffering equals fat wallets.

49 mins ago, z-man said:

That logic makes no sense now that we know that vaccinated people are spreading the virus. Why are we not following that science? If it’s so dangerous than no one should be allowed to eat in restaurants, attend sporting events, go to school, work, etc. 

The science tells us that vaccination, boosters, masks, social distancing, etc. are the best ways to mitigate COVID risk without entering into full-fledged lockdowns, which we have a society have deemed to be too high of a cost (I agree with that, for what it’s worth). The more folks comply with those relatively simple and minimally disruptive requirements, the faster we can move to the point where transmission rates become low enough that we can otherwise live our lives without fear. The one third of this country that refuses to take reasonable steps to protect themselves and their communities are the ones extending this pandemic. 

3 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Or have they added to it ? Human suffering i mean . The numbers are  fudged to fit the narrative ! Doctors stick to the side of big pharma so they are always going to be pro vaccine ! If the big 3 wanted to end human suffering thru thse vaccines they would give out there recipe so all nations could build it and help there people! That does not fit there narrative human suffering equals fat wallets.

If you think that each and every leading medical and scientific institution is involved in a grand conspiracy to destroy the world in order to generate profits, I don’t know what to tell you. That is a dark version of the world that you have constructed. 

The chokepoint for vaccine manufacturing is the availability of raw materials and technical expertise. The formulas for each of the vaccines are largely public record already. Each of the publicly-traded companies that manufactures vaccines are obviously profit-minded, but without that motivation, I don’t think they move heaven and earth and complete the fastest and one of the most impactful drug development stories in history. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The fact of the matter is social distancing, masks , vaccines does nothing to stop this thing ! There is no conspiracy only fact ! People look at modern media for facts and truth ! Not all scientists believe in the vaccine, nor do All Dr,s i agree at this point it is all we have . But to listen to Dr doom spew his Bs and change his point of view  every few days . People vaxed and boosted spread the virus as much as the non even more so with this variant in large numbers !

Edited by shark lobster

8 mins ago, jmei said:

The one third of this country that refuses to take reasonable steps to protect themselves and their communities are the ones extending this pandemic. 

That's it in a nutshell. 

9 mins ago, jmei said:

The one third of this country that refuses to take reasonable steps to protect themselves and their communities are the ones extending this pandemic.

We're extending this pandemic?  Refresh my memory, where was the Delta and Omicron variant first detected?  The highest fully vaxxed country in southern Africa is South Africa @ 30%.  How do you convince the other 70%?  I guess by blaming the 1/3 of the people here...

23 mins ago, danny_a said:

We're extending this pandemic?  Refresh my memory, where was the Delta and Omicron variant first detected?  The highest fully vaxxed country in southern Africa is South Africa @ 30%.  How do you convince the other 70%?  I guess by blaming the 1/3 of the people here...

I realize you're talking to @jmei here but I'm trying to follow along.

Can you clarify this statement? I can't seem to figure out what your point is. Nothing against you. I'm sure I'm not reading it correctly. I just can't figure it out. 

43 mins ago, mikez2 said:

That's it in a nutshell. 

Mike - vaccines are not effective at keeping people from catching and/or spreading covid. I am not kidding you, I know more people that have have covid than not had covid at this point. 

1 hour ago, jmei said:

The challenge with traditional inactive or weakened viral vaccines is that they take a long, long time to develop and manufacture, and with a new coronavirus that is structurally quite different than the influenza virus (they are genomically quite different, have different incubation/replication periods, different spike protein, different mutation rates, etc.), it would have (and indeed has) taken much longer to produce and evaluate traditional egg protein-based vaccines despite substantial effort, especially by medium/low-income countries where mRNA vaccine penetration is low.

Honestly, the ability to develop, obtain regulatory approval for and manufacture/disseminate multiple novel coronavirus vaccines (a class of virus for which no vaccine had ever been developed before) in less than a year is as impressive a human achievement as we’ve had in recent history. The COVID vaccines have alleviated an immense amount of human suffering. 

It would be ideal if a domestic company used old school technology to produce a safe, effective traditional vaccine for $1-1.50 a dose.

If they started in SARS years ago they may even have a head start on the vaccine. 

Oh wait, someone did! India has approved it and put in an order. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/01/05/1070046189/a-texas-team-comes-up-with-a-covid-vaccine-that-could-be-a-global-game-changer

12 mins ago, ged said:

Mike - vaccines are not effective at keeping people from catching and/or spreading covid. I am not kidding you, I know more people that have have covid than not had covid at this point. 

I'm not kidding you, I know more people who have NOT gotten covid at this point.

So what has either of us proven?

I'm still most interested in who was hospitalized and who has died.

All personal anecdotes aside, the data is pretty clear and there's a lot of it. In the big picture, you're less likely to be hospitalized and less likely to die if you get the vaccine. 

That's good enough for me.

1 hour ago, jmei said:

The science tells us that vaccination, boosters, masks, social distancing, etc. are the best ways to mitigate COVID risk without entering into full-fledged lockdowns, which we have a society have deemed to be too high of a cost (I agree with that, for what it’s worth). The more folks comply with those relatively simple and minimally disruptive requirements, the faster we can move to the point where transmission rates become low enough that we can otherwise live our lives without fear. The one third of this country that refuses to take reasonable steps to protect themselves and their communities are the ones extending this pandemic. 

Once again all of what you are saying was true a few months ago before Omicron. It’s not anymore. We’re all going to get it wether vaccinated or not and there’s certainty no reason to show vax status to eat dinner, which is what this thread is supposed to be about. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, mikez2 said:

you're less likely to be hospitalized and less likely to die if you get the vaccine. 

That's good enough for me.

There is no way to prove if this is true. Everyone reacts differently to the virus.

Did the vaccine keep me out of the hospital? Remember my vaccinated body contracted and spread the virus to my unvaccinated wife who had much milder symptoms than I experienced. 

Edited by ged

9 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I'm not kidding you, I know more people who have NOT gotten covid at this point.

So what has either of us proven?

I am curious to see if this changes in 2 weeks. 

I’ve posted the data three or four times now. If you trust your very limited personal experience more than the extensive data that has been collected and analyzed by our best and brightest scientific and medical minds, well, I guess that says more about you than anything else. 

11 mins ago, ged said:

There is no way to prove if this is true. Everyone reacts differently to the virus.

Context is everything. You edited out the part of my comment where I said "in the big picture...".

The sample size is huge. All around the world it's well documented, the odds are very much in your favor if you're vaccinated. It's really not a worthy argument to try to say otherwise. 

Sure, there might be exceptions that prove the rule but the odds are very much in your favor if you're vaccinated. 

I'm not even sure what your trying to argue. If you find the vaccine more objectionable than potentially being hospitalized the next time you get infected, more power to you.

I know I can't change your mind.