bdowning

Mass unveils new proof-of-vaccination website

Rate this topic

454 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, ged said:

There are a handful already available on the market. 

Help me out here.

I quick Google it and only find monoclonal antibodies and that antifungal which I can't spell. Both seem to be administered in hospital settings. 

What are the therapeutics that keep people from going into the hospitals?

Yes, I could spend a bunch more time googling, but you've mentioned this multiple times now. Seems like something you've already put some thought into. 

What are your suggestions for therapeutics for keeping people out of the hospital? 

9 hours ago, mikez2 said:

The purpose of posting those graphs was to demonstrate that unvaccinated people die at a significantly higher rate than vaccinated people when infected. 

The graphs show that without question. 

The purpose for showing graphs from several different countries was to illustrate that the results are the same around the world regardless of the government, the healthcare system, or the health of the general population. 

I can't see what's misleading about the data. It's not ambiguous. You either die or you don't. You're either vaccinated or your not. Pretty straight forward. 

I don't know what you're suggesting regarding the data from the US.

Are you suggesting that the data would be significantly different after October?

Are you saying that more vaccinated people have died because of omicron? 

If unvaxed people die at a "significantly" higher rate, it doesn't mean there is a significant chance an unvaxed person will die. The numbers we are looking at are teeny. If you multiply an extremely small number by 5 you still have an extremely small number. 

I am not saying the data is or isn't different for October, I'm saying a significant C19 event is not included in the data. That data may or may not have been omitted for a reason.

It goes without saying, more people, vaxed and unvaxed have died because of Omicron. But, I don't believe you are asking that. I don't know if the death rate for vaxed people has gone up with Omircon but I think it is possible the death rate for unvaxed people has gone down.

As for my comments on the data presentation. I was not taking a shot at you, I truly believe you understand what is presented in those graphs. I am saying, depending on the story trying to be conveyed and the audience, data can be massaged to fit a narrative. I'm not a fan of comparative data that doesn't contain certain constants. If they are trying to compare information along a time line, I want the time line to be consistent in the data. If they are trying to compare death rates, I want the "Y" axis to be consistent. 

Again, it wasn't a shot at you. I have read some of your contributions and believe you understand the data.

1 hour ago, jmei said:

Eating at a restaurant remains one of the higher-risk COVID infection activities that you can engage in. Diners will not be wearing masks, will be staying in a fixed location in close proximity to other diners for a long period of time and most restaurants have poor ventilation. To reduce the risk to their customers and employees, some restaurants are asking their patrons to show proof of vaccination since, as the data has shown, vaccination does still indeed have some effectiveness against Omicron infection (albeit considerably less than the original strain or Delta).

For what it's worth, given the virulence of Omicron, the reduced effectiveness of vaccines and the relatively low booster rate, I would be pretty uncomfortable eating at a restaurant at the moment, even one that required vaccines. Your mileage may vary.

You should probably hide in your basement until the pandemic is over. Let the rest of us continue with living normal lives. 

2 hours ago, snv1950 said:

Can someone please tell me the harm in getting vaccinated and boosted? 

The vaccine is fine for most people but there is a small percentage of people that have problems, usually with the second dose. I personally know someone in their early 40’s that had a stroke after the second shot, it triggered type 1 diabetes in another friend, my wife has had a bunch of problems from a swollen lymph node to period issues, a bunch of other women she has talked to have the same. Of course none of this is blamed on the vaccine and is just considered coincidence. Now you move on to the booster and the majority of people I know that got it spent two days in bed. Meanwhile the people I know that caught covid lately have just had cold symptoms. Should the vaccine side effects be worse than the actual virus? What’s going to happen when people get shot 4, shot 5 and so on?  I got my first two Pfizer shots and I am done, no more shots. 

1 hour ago, ged said:

They have. I can link a story from NPR. No one wants a $1 solution when big Pharma can make $50B instead. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/01/05/1070046189/a-texas-team-comes-up-with-a-covid-vaccine-that-could-be-a-global-game-changer

And big pharma can donate big money to the politicians campaign funds. It’s all about the money. 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

You should probably hide in your basement until the pandemic is over. Let the rest of us continue with living normal lives. 

Always a good option, pandemic or not.

The big 3 are the only choices ! But how much money is being put into better options ? Id like to know the cost to our government that we are paying for the vaccines .it makes no sense whatsoever that we use a totally new way of treating the flu sars covid 19 ! The people or most i should say that are dying are older or have health compilation. Why are the people dying from any respiratory disorder being listed as covid even though they are not . There is alot of stink in this whole thing and you cant make it make sense!

so back to the beginning why do you have to show proof of vaccination to eat in a restaurant! I dont show anything when im in Lowes or Home depot what makes sense about that ? 

8 mins ago, shark lobster said:

The big 3 are the only choices ! But how much money is being put into better options ? Id like to know the cost to our government that we are paying for the vaccines .it makes no sense whatsoever that we use a totally new way of treating the flu sars covid 19 !

Wait, we have to pay? You mean when people says testing is free and vaccines are free we the taxpayers actually need to pay for it? 

21 hours ago, ged said:

The inconsistency in symptoms and in testing accuracy is interesting and troubling. 

As far as hospitalizations, that data can be misleading. Being in the hospital “with” Covid and “from” covid” is very different. 

If I got into a bad car accident after quarantining 5 days (I was diagnosed on XMas eve so I benefited from the 5 day isolation) I would have been Covid positive in the ICU. I would have been in with covid, not from covid. 

100%. With covid, from covid, or just general patient without covid. I meant patients "from" covid. 

1 hour ago, shark lobster said:

so back to the beginning why do you have to show proof of vaccination to eat in a restaurant!....

vvvvvv

5 hours ago, jmei said:

........ Diners will not be wearing masks, will be staying in a fixed location in close proximity to other diners for a long period of time and most restaurants have poor ventilation. ......

21 mins ago, Joe G said:

vvvvvv

That logic makes no sense now that we know that vaccinated people are spreading the virus. Why are we not following that science? If it’s so dangerous than no one should be allowed to eat in restaurants, attend sporting events, go to school, work, etc. 

On 1/10/2022 at 5:58 PM, FizzyFish said:

try to learn correct spelling and grammar before you criticize others. 

"Try"  :read: 

2 hours ago, shark lobster said:

The big 3 are the only choices ! But how much money is being put into better options ? Id like to know the cost to our government that we are paying for the vaccines .it makes no sense whatsoever that we use a totally new way of treating the flu sars covid 19 ! The people or most i should say that are dying are older or have health compilation. Why are the people dying from any respiratory disorder being listed as covid even though they are not . There is alot of stink in this whole thing and you cant make it make sense!

so back to the beginning why do you have to show proof of vaccination to eat in a restaurant! I dont show anything when im in Lowes or Home depot what makes sense about that ? 

The challenge with traditional inactive or weakened viral vaccines is that they take a long, long time to develop and manufacture, and with a new coronavirus that is structurally quite different than the influenza virus (they are genomically quite different, have different incubation/replication periods, different spike protein, different mutation rates, etc.), it would have (and indeed has) taken much longer to produce and evaluate traditional egg protein-based vaccines despite substantial effort, especially by medium/low-income countries where mRNA vaccine penetration is low.

Honestly, the ability to develop, obtain regulatory approval for and manufacture/disseminate multiple novel coronavirus vaccines (a class of virus for which no vaccine had ever been developed before) in less than a year is as impressive a human achievement as we’ve had in recent history. The COVID vaccines have alleviated an immense amount of human suffering.