bdowning

Mass unveils new proof-of-vaccination website

Rate this topic

455 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

33 mins ago, PI Guy said:

CVS does them, same kind of deal as scheduling a PCR test.  I think you actually have to pay out of pocket for them though but I assume an FSA would cover the test. As far as how long antibodies last that is the big question. IMO if this country wasn’t in such a panic to get vaxxed starting in the beginning of 2021, they should’ve taken the time to establish antibody levels post vaccination, maybe that info is out there, I don’t know. 

Antibody tests just evaluate whether you have antibodies from a prior COVID infection or vaccination. They do not determine the level of protection you have against future infection. If you have been vaccinated or have a prior confirmed positive test, antibody tests aren’t all that useful (read: are a waste of your time and money). 

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/antibody-testing-not-currently-recommended-assess-immunity-after-covid-19-vaccination-fda-safety

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

Edited by jmei

32 mins ago, jmei said:

Antibody tests just evaluate whether you have antibodies from a prior COVID infection or vaccination. They do not determine the level of protection you have against future infection. If you have been vaccinated or have a prior confirmed positive test, antibody tests aren’t all that useful (read: are a waste of your time and money). 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

Read what you wrote again, and then think about the intended function of a vaccine/booster that currently isn’t keeping people from getting sick OR transmitting it. What are the antibodies supposed to do again?

19 mins ago, PI Guy said:

Read what you wrote again, and then think about the intended function of a vaccine/booster that currently isn’t keeping people from getting sick OR transmitting it. What are the antibodies supposed to do again?

Every single study has shown that vaccinated and boosted individuals are less likely to be infected, less likely to spread disease to others and significantly less likely to be hospitalized or die as compared to unvaccinated individuals. 

Vaccines and boosters aren’t as effective at preventing infection with the Omicron variant as they were against the original variant, but they remain the best tool available to ending the pandemic. Hospitals remain overwhelmed and the COVID death rate remains an average of 1,500+ per day (that’s half of a 9/11). 

If you are fed up with pandemic restrictions, the best thing you can do is get vaccinated and boosted and encourage your friends and family to do the same. I cannot believe that it’s 2022 and we’re still having a discussion about this. 

Just now, jmei said:

Every single study has shown that vaccinated and boosted individuals are less likely to be infected, less likely to spread disease to others and significantly less likely to be hospitalized or die as compared to unvaccinated individuals. 

Vaccines and boosters aren’t as effective at preventing infection with the Omicron variant as they were against the original variant, but they remain the best tool available to ending the pandemic. Hospitals remain overwhelmed and the COVID death rate remains an average of 1,500+ per day (that’s half of a 9/11). 

If you are fed up with pandemic restrictions, the best thing you can do is get vaccinated and boosted and encourage your friends and family to do the same. I cannot believe that it’s 2022 and we’re still having a discussion about this. 

Treatment is what we need. That will relieve the hospitals. The current vaccines are not preventing the current virus and having sick nurses work is, how should I say “a special kind of stupid”. 

10 mins ago, ged said:

Treatment is what we need. That will relieve the hospitals. The current vaccines are not preventing the current virus and having sick nurses work is, how should I say “a special kind of stupid”. 

These are separate and unrelated points. Yes, we do need earlier and broader access to antibody treatments, especially for at-risk populations. Yes, it is not ideal that hospitals are so short-staffed that they're asking COVID-positive but asymptomatic doctors and nurses to work the COVID ward, but the alternative of no staff is even worse and they're working with patients who are already COVID positive. Neither of those points does anything to refute the effectiveness of vaccines.

The latest data suggests that the mRNA vaccines remain 30-40% effective at preventing infection, which jumps to 70% after a booster. They remain 70% effective at preventing hospitalization, which jumps to 88% after a booster. There remain no safety concerns of any note. For your own safety and the safety of people around you, get vaccinated and get boosted.

9 hours ago, mikez2 said:

The vaccine may be leaky but it's still your best defense against dying from the virus.

From : https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

united-states-rates-of-covid-19-deaths-by-vaccination-status.png

england-covid-19-mortality-rate-by-vaccination-status.png

chile-covid-19-mortality-rate-by-vaccination-status.png

switzerland-covid-19-weekly-death-rate-by-vaccination-status.png

These graphs make vax vs unvax death rates look very dramatic but what I see is a miniscule number of vaxed people die and a miniscule number of unvaxed people die.

Also, the data for the US stops at the end of October, during a steep decline, a lifetime ago on the covid timeline.

The wuflu may kill me but with those numbers I'm not going to worry about it.

20 mins ago, jmei said:

These are separate and unrelated points. Yes, we do need earlier and broader access to antibody treatments, especially for at-risk populations. Yes, it is not ideal that hospitals are so short-staffed that they're asking COVID-positive but asymptomatic doctors and nurses to work the COVID ward, but the alternative of no staff is even worse and they're working with patients who are already 

The latest data suggests that the mRNA vaccines remain 30-40% effective at preventing infection, which jumps to 70% after a booster. They remain 70% effective at preventing hospitalization, which jumps to 88% after a booster. There remain no safety concerns of any note. For your own safety and the safety of people around you, get vaccinated and get boosted.

Vaccines are not keeping people from getting and spreading covid. This trend will continue. 

Where are the therapeutics? Early treatment is what we need. 

1 hour ago, DAQ said:

These graphs make vax vs unvax death rates look very dramatic but what I see is a miniscule number of vaxed people die and a miniscule number of unvaxed people die.

Also, the data for the US stops at the end of October, during a steep decline, a lifetime ago on the covid timeline.

The wuflu may kill me but with those numbers I'm not going to worry about it.

So just so I know where you're coming from; are you saying you choose to remain unvaccinated because you're not worried about dying from the virus?

If so, what is you're rational for refusing the vaccine? Are you worried it will harm you? 

4 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Smallpox and polio vaccines were mandatory when I started school. Chicken pox and MMR were when my kids started school. Vaccine mandates in schools aren't something new. 

Those vaccines are still mandatory and they actually work. The covid vaccine isn’t working to prevent spread and covid isn’t much of a risk to children anyways. There is no benefit in vaccinating children for covid unless they have a preexisting comorbidity. 

2 hours ago, jmei said:

You should stop listening to the media and politicians and start thinking for yourself. Look at what has happened in the past few weeks. Vaccinated people are catching and spreading covid like wildfire. 

2 hours ago, jmei said:

These are separate and unrelated points. Yes, we do need earlier and broader access to antibody treatments, especially for at-risk populations. Yes, it is not ideal that hospitals are so short-staffed that they're asking COVID-positive but asymptomatic doctors and nurses to work the COVID ward, but the alternative of no staff is even worse and they're working with patients who are already COVID positive. Neither of those points does anything to refute the effectiveness of vaccines.

The hospitals wouldn’t be so short staffed if they didn’t fire the unvaccinated. The same people that were considered hero’s for working before there even was a vaccine and treated as villains by our idiot politicians. 

10 mins ago, mikez2 said:

So just so I know where you're coming from; are you saying you choose to remain unvaccinated because you're not worried about dying from the virus?

If so, what is you're rational for refusing the vaccine? Are you worried it will harm you? 

I am not saying if I am vaccinated or not.

I am saying the data presented tells me if someone is vaxed they have a tiny chance of dying from C19 and if someone is unvaxed, they have a tiny chance of dying from C19. I'm also saying the way data is presented can be misleading.

Also pointing out the US data presented is old and does not capture Omicron or the current situation.

Posted (edited)

On 1/10/2022 at 4:47 PM, bdowning said:

2 hours ago, jmei said:

No safety concerns of note???  Are you frigging kidding?

A good friend of mine, 58 years old and in great shape, got Guillen-Barre syndrome from the vaccine. Not only did he nearly die, he was paraylzed from the chest down.  He is starting to learn walk again but the doctors have no idea if he will regain total mobility.  He is in constant, barely bearable pain that is driving him mad.

I personally know 2 people who got blood clots after getting the j&j vaccine.  

Edited by Shake-n-Bake
typo

16 mins ago, Shake-n-Bake said:

No safety concerns of note???  Are you frigging kidding?

A good friend of mine, 58 years old and in great shape, got Guillen-Barre syndrome from the vaccine. Not only did he nearly die, he was paraylzed from the chest down.  He is starting to learn walk again but the doctors have no idea if he will regain total mobility.  He is in constant, barely bearable pain that is driving him mad.

I personally know 2 people who got blood clots after getting the j&j vaccine.  

The estimated likelihood of developing Guillen-Barre syndrome as a result of the J&J vaccine is about one in 125,000, or 0.0008%. That’s lower than your odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime. Neither the Pfizer nor the Moderna vaccine are associated with an increased incidence of GBS. I’m sorry about your friend but he was just exceedingly unlucky. The odds of developing a serious blood clot (thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome) after receiving the J&J vaccine are similarly low—about 1 in 500,000 overall or 1 in 100,000 for women ages 30 to 49 (the most at risk cohort). Those odds are similarly lower than being struck by lightning in your lifetime.