atv223

J-Bay Jamboree/Tournament 2022??

39 posts in this topic

Just now, fishless said:

A RB kayak angler worried about spot burning is laughable IMOP.  Even on the busiest days when 90% of the fleet goes right I go left.  And still catch.  I'll never go where the boats stack.  I will forever avoid the crowd to do my own thing in peach and quiet with my cigar and tumbler of coffee.  If the Jamboree happens in the RB in 2022 I will be there. 

I agree. I don't even fish RB more than a few days a year.  I usually fish where others don't, and still catch. Do I catch as much as they? Don't know, don't care.

The idea of an RB Jam has it's pros and cons.  Con, the break from a large spacious location and the tradition that goes with it.  Pro, a new location could bring in a new group of people that may keep the event going into the future.  Con, I cant think of an area large enough on the bay shore that allows the conveniences that the JBay location does.  Pro, a large body of water that holds fish in different areas across many miles. 

57 mins ago, fishless said:

The idea of an RB Jam has it's pros and cons.  Con, the break from a large spacious location and the tradition that goes with it.  Pro, a new location could bring in a new group of people that may keep the event going into the future.  Con, I cant think of an area large enough on the bay shore that allows the conveniences that the JBay location does.  Pro, a large body of water that holds fish in different areas across many miles. 

Not really my turf, but seems to me Keansburg amusement park or Sandy Hook are the only options. Of course there's Great Kills, another Gateway Park, but not as popular a kayak spot as the south shore of the bay, for a variety of reasons I'm sure.

Know what would be fun and different? A porgy tournament in the Western Sound. Promote a different species to take pressure off the poor bass. 20" porgy is the new 50lber!

34 mins ago, gellfex said:

Not really my turf, but seems to me Keansburg amusement park or Sandy Hook are the only options. Of course there's Great Kills, another Gateway Park, but not as popular a kayak spot as the south shore of the bay, for a variety of reasons I'm sure.

Know what would be fun and different? A porgy tournament in the Western Sound. Promote a different species to take pressure off the poor bass. 20" porgy is the new 50lber!

Not a bad idea at all actually. 

6 mins ago, fishless said:

Not a bad idea at all actually. 

Secondary category of sea robins, with a fish fry dinner of robins like they do with the Lionfish tourney in FL.

Can also have tackle classes, like 4# line or artificial only, though I don't know how you would enforce that.

Edited by gellfex

You guys all have great ideas.  It would be hard to have one mega location.  The allure would be you could launch from SH to Keansburg to Perth to SI to up the rivers.  Have one big party somewhere at the end.  Or maybe have 3 campsites Pt. mmth, Perth, SI.

IDK, the time is right the fishery is right there.  As for the local yakkers, you would walk accros the boats and yaks last year.  My guess is the locals would bring the big guns and try and win.

Its sorta a no brainer actually.

10 hours ago, fishless said:

Or we just have a jamboree without the tourney and get together for fun and fish for the same reason.  Comradery over competition.  

Or just have a $1 buy in. Something to make it competitive, but not for serious money. Winner gets a silly plaque or trophy of something ridiculous. I would 100% be down for that 

11 hours ago, fishless said:

Or we just have a jamboree without the tourney and get together for fun and fish for the same reason.  Comradery over competition.  

That’s what it was about for me. If I caught a big fish I’d submit it, but otherwise I was just there to fish and be around 300 other kayak anglers. If it gets split up where people camp and launch from anywhere in the bay, it loses a lot of the energy. 

35 mins ago, atv223 said:

That’s what it was about for me. If I caught a big fish I’d submit it, but otherwise I was just there to fish and be around 300 other kayak anglers. If it gets split up where people camp and launch from anywhere in the bay, it loses a lot of the energy. 

Finding a spot to host 300 campers would definitely be an issue.

I really appreciate you guys even talking about this event. I went to my first one back in 2017 and had no idea what I was doing but was still able to catch some big (to me) blues and even a few fluke, and of course, plenty of sea robins. I went in 2018 even though the weather was horrible, and had to cut that trip short due to a family emergency, but was still happy to at least get a little fishing time in. Even if there is some sort of informal camping/get together this year, I'd probably join in if I can get time off. 

There is an abandoned lot in Keansburg that was originally the site for some housing that got burn down, it is clear and level that would make an excellent staging area and offer access to the water. I’m  Sure you would have to get permission from the town but if you went that route it would not interfere with their parking.

19BC501C-9DE7-46A0-9BB6-B0BD4E6BCF13.jpeg

Edited by Bigbeartroop122

It may be easier to arrange/hold a single day event. If there is parking and launch access, why can’t we all just show up and fish for a day?

Never been to RB, Isn’t the big striper bite in March or April?