atv223

J-Bay Jamboree/Tournament 2022??

39 posts in this topic

It's that time of year, where I have to ask if J-Bay will be on for 2022.

I was fortunate enough to have attended this event 5 times 2014-2017 and 2019.  It was my most anticipated kayak fishing event every year and I'd find myself daydreaming about it.  After a strong comeback for this event in 2019, 2020 was going to be even better.  But we all know what happened then.  I was hoping 2021 would have the event return but it didn't happen.

Is 2022 in the cards?

Unfortunately it doesn't look  to be an organized event anymore.
Hopefully someone else has more insight on this than me.

I have attended everyone since the 2nd one, always looked forwarded to it as it was a great event. 

RIP—JBay. This shirt was probably from 2011 or possibly 2010 when Capt. Kayak ran the event. It was a yak fisherman’s dream and a well run event both years. I kinda remember Elias winning a Hobie Kayak.

851C217E-BB82-4E37-9B67-6EC4387A2980.jpeg

3D3B263D-F2C1-431F-945D-33D6D2A85F0E.png

Are there any other kayak tournaments from DE-CT? Berkeley Striper Club does the spring striped bass in NJ and pt pleasant elks does the fluke which both have kayak divisions, but what else is there? 

Great times.  Really great times.  When Joey and Jon (RIP buddy) ran the tourney it was really fun.  Capt Kayak was ok, but got a bit too corporate, just a bit and I know why Jerry did it so not bitching at all.  But the winners got cool works of art but the big prizes were raffled off.

Not sure why someone does not pick it up.  Other than dealing with US Parks System, The Fed Gov., weather, sponsors etc etc.

Great great times.  Would love to participate in something like that again.  Makes me a bit sad.

5 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

These days an easier and better fishery at that time would be Raritan Bay.  THAT would be a great tournament.

Sure, but try it there or other great places I could mention, and the spotburn mafia would have a collective coronary! There were people unhappy about publicizing RB, some folks just don't like to share no matter how big the body of water or parking lot is. I'm certain this is the primary reason there's so few salt kayak tourney's. The sweetwater guys seem to be over it and have tournaments all over.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2022 at 10:46 PM, gellfex said:

Sure, but try it there or other great places I could mention, and the spotburn mafia would have a collective coronary! There were people unhappy about publicizing RB, some folks just don't like to share no matter how big the body of water or parking lot is. I'm certain this is the primary reason there's so few salt kayak tourney's. The sweetwater guys seem to be over it and have tournaments all over.

The RB kayak group is going to do their thing regardless if anyone gets upset  so what is the concern?   

1 hour ago, fishless said:

The RB kayak group is going to do their thing regardless if anyone gets upset  so what is the concern?   

Not sure what you mean.

Just now, gellfex said:

Not sure what you mean.

I mean they are still going to go out fishing on the bay if there's a Jamboree or not.  So why not try and put together a RB Jamboree.  Who is really going to get bent about it?

2 mins ago, fishless said:

I mean they are still going to go out fishing on the bay if there's a Jamboree or not.  So why not try and put together a RB Jamboree.  Who is really going to get bent about it?

They would get POd about any further publicizing of 'their' fishery. Seriously. I was told I was blackballed from their PM list because I had mentioned here by name another area with many sq miles of fishing grounds and unlimited parking, not unlike JB. The person who said it implied the goal wasn't to avoid being mugged, it was to have no other fishermen in sight.

Just now, gellfex said:

They would get POd about any further publicizing of 'their' fishery. Seriously. I was told I was blackballed from their PM list because I had mentioned here by name another area with many sq miles of fishing grounds and unlimited parking, not unlike JB. The person who said it implied the goal wasn't to avoid being mugged, it was to have no other fishermen in sight.

That's just stupid.  Was it a fellow kayak fisherman or a land based angler? 

5 mins ago, gellfex said:

Kayaker. 

A RB kayak angler worried about spot burning is laughable IMOP.  Even on the busiest days when 90% of the fleet goes right I go left.  And still catch.  I'll never go where the boats stack.  I will forever avoid the crowd to do my own thing in peace and quiet with my cigar and tumbler of coffee.  If the Jamboree happens in the RB in 2022 I will be there. 

Edited by fishless