Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Sometimes one has to be brave, last year I found a new spot that none of my fellow fishermen had explored. It was a nude beach! You can imagine the rest but the folks only start to show up when I am almost ready to go…

John Skinner did a video on shore fishing for Blackfish, as stated Google Earth teamed with a nautical chart. In olden days before this technology it was a Hagstom road map with a detailed inshore marine chart. There are some beauties that show themselves like a large hooked cove, where deeper water gets pushed over a bar. It only gets better when the current is met with an opposing wind making the rip more confused. Another thing don't beat a dead horse, multiple trips to a spot with no results? Look up the definition of insanity.

Look at John Skinner vids, he consistently beats a couple of hundred yards of shoreline on the sound. There is not a bird in sight. It's  structure and current. Prior to the commercial bass opening July 1st I would catch bluefish in holes and structure in the sound. There was not a bird in sight, and two ppl throwing poppers would produce fish from 6 pm. till and after dusk. My standard answer when occasionally some one would say birds. My reply was it's not the Audubon Society let's go to where they live.

But in John Skinners book, he says he will look for birds, may not be a lot of birds around but he will look to see what there doing. He's books are very good.

7 hours ago, Nekowa said:

Look at John Skinner vids, he consistently beats a couple of hundred yards of shoreline on the sound. There is not a bird in sight. It's  structure and current. Prior to the commercial bass opening July 1st I would catch bluefish in holes and structure in the sound. There was not a bird in sight, and two ppl throwing poppers would produce fish from 6 pm. till and after dusk. My standard answer when occasionally some one would say birds. My reply was it's not the Audubon Society let's go to where they live.

I’ve been looking for those 2 damn rocks in the Skinner videos all season! 

When I was young with kids I would work all day then fish all night for bass money.

I found a lot of good spots in the bay by walking the shore in my bathing suit and feeling the bait with my toes and bare legs.

There were times when school bass would bump yer legs from behind as you walked kicking up sand eels.

Biggest fish caught where bay side on little dinky sand eels.

Hello,

New to forum. So suppose I wanted  to fish for stripers ( Atlantic coast ) or black fish in New Jersey  because nyc Is closed - I live in Staten Island, Nyc. How do you correlate access and parking with potential spots  if you have no idea about the area and google or Siri don’t know?  
 Like someone mentioned the John skinner blackfish video on the Long Island sound- I have no idea if any parking is allowed because I have no idea of the area.

I also understand not burning a spot- I found one in Staten Island that has fish that others  don’t, but if it got on media

then all the people who do it would take all the shorts. And I’d be fishing in a crowd with the fish police bothering me

Because ….. well actually I’ve met them  and they are nice professionals trying to make sure there are some big fish, or where I live some fish.  
thanks, 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:41 PM, Andrewnyc said:

Hello,

New to forum. So suppose I wanted  to fish for stripers ( Atlantic coast ) or black fish in New Jersey  because nyc Is closed - I live in Staten Island, Nyc. How do you correlate access and parking with potential spots  if you have no idea about the area and google or Siri don’t know?  
 Like someone mentioned the John skinner blackfish video on the Long Island sound- I have no idea if any parking is allowed because I have no idea of the area.

I also understand not burning a spot- I found one in Staten Island that has fish that others  don’t, but if it got on media

then all the people who do it would take all the shorts. And I’d be fishing in a crowd with the fish police bothering me

Because ….. well actually I’ve met them  and they are nice professionals trying to make sure there are some big fish, or where I live some fish.  
thanks, 

If you are planning a long-distance trip and scouting for spots on Google Earth, I suggest you prepare a list with multiple possible spots. Target waterfront parks because they often (but not always) have a parking lot. As far as the spots with questionable parking/access, you’ll just have to see when you get there. But that is why you generate a list of multiple spots; as many as you can find. If one doesn’t work out, try the next and ultimately have those waterfront parks as a safe back-up.

When you look for fishable water, look for something that stands out.  Something that doesn't look like the vast majority of water that you see.  Something that looks different means there's some structure causing the water to behave differently.  Even if you don't understand what you're looking at, probe it with different lures.  Ambush predators use structure to their advantage so they are drawn to them.

One of the best insights I've ever had while fishing was: every fish you hook, try to think about why that fish was there.  You'll start narrowing down potential spots much quicker. 

I follow OTW and FM for their fishing reports. Particularly the YouTube video version and go to where the hot bite is generally located on any given week and pound the crap out of spots til I find where the consistent bite is. Contributed greatly to the amount of success I had all season last year