michael.t

Kayak scratch fixes

18 posts in this topic

I decided to give my kayak a good cleaning today and noticed I have a lot of scaring along the bottom. I’m wondering if anyone has ever attempted to remove these scratches? If you have how did you go about it? 

I was think of running sand paper in different grits like you can do to a paint job to smooth it out, is this foolish idea?

image.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

You're gonna be removing more material if you do. If it's about looks then go for it. If it's about utility, you can cover it with a keel protector like a gator guard or just melt some plastic on it.

It's the same plastic that you find on a home Depot or Lowe's bucket so you can just use a heat gun and cut up a bucket if you ever want to add material. This is not a good cosmetic option.

Edited by EricM

Don’t sand it. You’re going to thin out the hull. Scratches are going to happen when landing and launching and there isn’t much you can about it besides putting a keel guard on. 

Also practice first. It's easy to do more damage than repair with a heat gun if you haven't done it before. I personally would not mess with cosmetic scratches unless you're leaking at a wear point.

Good to know about the compatible bucket material. I always save my pieces/shavings from cutting holes to add hardware to use as patch material.

When I cared about scratches this sealing iron worked great. It worked with or without donor material.

E4DFE745-050F-4CB9-8B44-194C32C00BC3.jpeg

I’m glad I asked! I will leave it alone and look into gator guard. I’m not too concerned about cosmetics. I was thinking if I smoothed out the scratches this might reduce any drag and increase aerodynamics... I might have been too bored today. 

25 mins ago, cheech said:

When I cared about scratches this sealing iron worked great. It worked with or without donor material.

E4DFE745-050F-4CB9-8B44-194C32C00BC3.jpeg

I may get one of these it looks like something good to have around. 

I honestly haven't seen a lot of this type of information coming from the fishing community.  I started kayaking well before I started fishing from a kayak and there is A LOT of info out there in the whitewater and sea kayaking communities.  

56 mins ago, gnihsif said:

I honestly haven't seen a lot of this type of information coming from the fishing community.  I started kayaking well before I started fishing from a kayak and there is A LOT of info out there in the whitewater and sea kayaking communities.  

Good to know not to worry about the minor scratches I have. 

I started kayak fishing in 2018, sold my boat and bought a kayak.

14 hours ago, michael.t said:

I decided to give my kayak a good cleaning today and noticed I have a lot of scaring along the bottom. I’m wondering if anyone has ever attempted to remove these scratches? If you have how did you go about it? 

I was think of running sand paper in different grits like you can do to a paint job to smooth it out, is this foolish idea?

image.jpg

I use keel guard on mine and it seems to reduce the wear and tear from launching and landing in the oyster beds by me.

On 1/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, wefish138 said:

Don’t sand it. You’re going to thin out the hull. Scratches are going to happen when landing and launching and there isn’t much you can about it besides putting a keel guard on. 

I agree. You will thin the hull more and your going to get scratches again anyway. 

I'll use a shaving razor on some scratches to take off some of the raised material but I use it lightly and I don't do anything to fill in a scratch.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'd use the heat gun if your worried about cosmetics I bought used kayak for my son spent 2 hours going over the scratches with heat gun and the bottom looks almost new. Basically clean and scrub all dirt out if scratch very well. Heat along scratch keep the gum moving when you see area get glassy stop. Have a bucket of ice water in case you go to far and can quickly cool. Use the cone that you can focus heat on precise area. Switch sides every other scratch. You don't want to work exclusively on one side, switch it up heat the same area constantly could be a problem that may cause a dent or deformation in that spot

Edited by onthefly
Added