hunter123

What conventional reel.

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

My heaver set up is a 12' Penn Batallion 4-10oz rod, I have been useing a Penn 990 Mag with 17# or 20# BBG for big Red drum and large fish.  I also bought a Penn Fathom ii 15sd. I'm wondering if the fathom would be better to use on the 12' rod than the 990 mag.  Mag is like new condition, and is a tank. But I'm loving the fathom real good . Landed one hell of a big ray last year with the fathom. Thanks. 

That's a big reel around which to wrap your hand. Good for you.

The fathom II 15 might give you a little more distance, but you might be short of line capacity.

1 min ago, BrianBM said:

That's a big reel around which to wrap your hand. Good for you.

The fathom II 15 might give you a little more distance, but you might be short of line capacity.

Thanks Brian. Thats the point , the mag is starting to feel big. She will hold over 300 to almost 400 yds of 17# mono. The fathom is around 220yds of 17# mono.  Do I really need that much line. Most conventional reels I have seen at Hateras held 17# to 20# and had about 200 to 250 yds average on them .

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think you'd be fine with the Fathom, but if you get into sharks, 220 yards of #17 might be a little tight.

A Newell 229 = 290 yards of 20.  A 235, if you can find one, might be a nice compromise.

WUPS! My original post miss-stated the line capacity of the 229.  Now I'm good. Yeah, that'll do ya for any drum that's ever been spawned. If you want to make the other kids jealous, a Seigler SM surf is about the same.

Edited by BrianBM
error correction.

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

My heaver set up is a 12' Penn Batallion 4-10oz rod, I have been useing a Penn 990 Mag with 17# or 20# BBG for big Red drum and large fish.  I also bought a Penn Fathom ii 15sd. I'm wondering if the fathom would be better to use on the 12' rod than the 990 mag.  Mag is like new condition, and is a tank. But I'm loving the fathom real good . Landed one hell of a big ray last year with the fathom. Thanks. 

I use a fathom 2 casting special on a 12’ heaver.  It’s an old school Lami blank so the smaller size reel fits my hand better.  The fathom 2 is a really nice caster.  I even plug with it from time to time

I had it on a 10 St Croix Graphlite rod, and it was great. I was thinking of getting a fathom 25, but it's probably the size of the 990 mag. So that's waht got me thinking, cabin fever is settingin already.lol Anyway, I was thinking of the Fathom 15 for the 8 n bait 12' rod and using my sqidder 140 for the 10 'rod. 990 mag ,I think is a little larger than the squidder. But the 15 is a smooth casting and working reel.

4 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I had it on a 10 St Croix Graphlite rod, and it was great. I was thinking of getting a fathom 25, but it's probably the size of the 990 mag. So that's waht got me thinking, cabin fever is settingin already.lol Anyway, I was thinking of the Fathom 15 for the 8 n bait 12' rod and using my sqidder 140 for the 10 'rod. 990 mag ,I think is a little larger than the squidder. But the 15 is a smooth casting and working reel.

Love the Squidder 140.  The retrieval rate is what keeps me going back to newer reels.  Really love my Squidder though.  I put a Tiburon frame, aluminum spool and knobby mag.  Great reel

Just now, Birdsnester said:

Love the Squidder 140.  The retrieval rate is what keeps me going back to newer reels.  Really love my Squidder though.  I put a Tiburon frame, aluminum spool and knobby mag.  Great reel

Yeah, I use the squidder on the old 10' rod for in close casting. I'm torn between using the fathom or the 990 mag. I hate to retire a reel , I love using them no matter how old the model is. But I'm reading that a lot of guy's at hatteras use the Fathom 15 with 17# mono . .

16 mins ago, hunter123 said:

990 mag ,I think is a little larger than the squidder. 

IIRC, the 990 is the size of a Jigmaster 500.

5 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

IIRC, the 990 is the size of a Jigmaster 500.

Is the Jigmaster 500 the same size as a squidder 140?  Thank you.

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

Is the Jigmaster 500 the same size as a squidder 140?  Thank you.

No my friend. The 500 is larger. The Squidder is the size of the 200, 155, Monofil26, etc, etc:howdy:

The fathom 15 is plenty of reel for anything but the largest of sharks.  I and more than a few others fish the fathom 12 for drum.  Plenty of reel for any drum.  Only time it could get sketchy is if your are sand spiking multiple rods, get drug down the beach by a fish and your other rod gets bit unattended.  

Also big game is a very thick mono.  Try Berkeley pro spec chrome or suffix tritanium in 17 lb test, this will give you more line capacity.  If you are real worried about capacity use braid as a backing