JWM

Black Fish reel

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Slacker said:

The Torium doesn't have a levelwind to get stuck in

My mistake. The NEW tekota is what I was referring to. Can't put nothing over on you. Good catch.

20 mins ago, ooeric said:

Haha. Extremely common avet issue. 

I had to look it up, caused by user error. Guess that why I have one thats 15 yts, old with original bearings.

17 mins ago, Slayer said:

I had to look it up, caused by user error. Guess that why I have one thats 15 yts, old with original bearings.

Ya. Since it was released it was a common issue.   Everyone wants more power in a small reel and they set drags too high.1  Then crushes the side bearing.

17 hours ago, ooeric said:

Probably crushed the bearings.

16 hours ago, Slayer said:

Yeah,  an Avet sx has a whopping 14lbs. of drag maxed out that is definitely bearing crushing force

15 hours ago, JWM said:

That happened!

15 hours ago, ooeric said:

Haha. Extremely common avet issue. 

14 hours ago, ooeric said:

Ya. Since it was released it was a common issue.   Everyone wants more power in a small reel and they set drags too high.1  Then crushes the side bearing.

Avet uses low quality bearings..

I believe it is the Pinion Brg that gives out under pressure, better quality brgs are available from BOCA Bearing.

I have opened a few Avets owned 2 sold one still have 1 SX Model, IMHO they are well built, less moving parts than a star drag.

Folks on the left coast use them for tuna ( dont know what species) 

I get that folks dont like LD reels fro bottom fishing.

I use Avets(with boca bearings), Sieglers sgn and penns. But my go to reel off orient to Rhode Island in 30' to 100+' is a newell 220 or 229 matched to an old cabelas musky rod. my friends look at me and laugh when they see the expensive custom rods/reels in the rocket launcher and I use the 30 year old setups.  Currently updating to some centaur spin jig rods with Shimano reels for shallow water and slack tide with jigs. 

31 mins ago, tjr said:

But my go to reel off orient to Rhode Island in 30' to 100+' is a newell 220 or 229 matched to an old cabelas musky rod. my friends look at me and laugh when they see the expensive custom rods/reels in the rocket launcher and I use the 30 year old setups.  

They are as good today as ever. You should see the looks I get when I rock my Red 220 on a MB1143F right next to my Saltigas on custom Rodgeeks

18 mins ago, Mike said:

They are as good today as ever. You should see the looks I get when I rock my Red 220 on a MB1143F right next to my Saltigas on custom Rodgeeks

They aren't looking at you that way because of your rod and reel.

Just now, Slacker said:

Y doesn't provide you with many opportunities.

I will venture a guess that I was on every trip that he was on for the last three or four years except RI this year. That was what three trips.

Then again I don’t really pay attention to uninteresting tackle unless it makes me chuckle. And he usually brings like eight rods so maybe it is a tree in the forest kind of thing.

16 mins ago, Slacker said:

Y doesn't provide you with many opportunities.

True

11 mins ago, Kml said:

I will venture a guess that I was on every trip that he was on for the last three or four years except RI this year. That was what three trips.

Then again I don’t really pay attention to uninteresting tackle unless it makes me chuckle. And he usually brings like eight rods so maybe it is a tree in the forest kind of thing.

This^^^^

It was on both ICIII trips you were on. I even used it on one of them. You were fishing starboard and I fished it in the port bow.

The trip we towed the other boat. There were 4 or 5 Newells in the bow that day. The Pelagic Beast crew were fishing with them.