Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richs

Do reds eat pencils?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

From what I understand and have read, they prefer subtle poppers. More inline with a smaller fly rod popper. I doubt they'll overtake a slashing pencil...but I bet it could happen on some rare occassion.

I think most of what they catch the reds in FL on is in the neighborhood of 2"-3" lures.

TimS

I've occasionally had them nail a Zara Spook which was being worked pretty actively while targeting snook, but lures of that sort would be far from a first choice for redfish. Small jigs with grub tails - often tipped with a very small piece of shrimp - and the gold version of the old Johnson Silver Minnow spoon are still two of the most favored artificials for reds; MirrOlures account for some pretty darn good numbers as well.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 01-09-2001).]

I was in Fla. this past Oct. and all the redfish I caught nailed a thrashing pencil popper. I mean that beat the snot out of it.

I was using the small cotton cordell in blue and silver. There was one morning I caught about 5 of them and they were feeding on top.

They crushed it, you just had to lead it about 4 feet in front of them.

Then another morning I was just blind casting in a spot and I caught another.

I will always bring pencils with me from now on. Also caught a red on a floating Rebel popper...bring your smallest pencils!!!

JohnS

[This message has been edited by JohnS (edited 01-09-2001).]

I whomped them but good this summer in the surf in Florida on Mirro-Lure 4 1/2 inch topwaters. My dad worked his fast and noisy and he only caught trout, I more or less walked-the-dog with a rather deliberate retrieve and had reds from little guys up to over 20 pounds crashing it! I tried fishing a teaser in front of the plug like we do for stripers but the ladyfish became problematic and riped the teasers to death in no time flat!

In Sept of 99 I was in the Banana river area catching reds and weaks and jacks on pencils and poppers in 2 to 3 inches .

I had a great time only had one day to fish and made the best out of them .