jjdbike

Looking for tomato soup ideas please

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I just made some killer strong chicken stock w/ herbs a veggies. I also have a bunch of raw tomatoes in the freezer. I have slicers which I cored and scored before I froze them. I also have a bunch of bags of sweet cherry tomatoes.

My wife loves tomato basil bisque, and slow roasted tomato soup (what ever that is). I think it's a Campbell's product. Bottom line she likes her tomato soup thick and rich. We also love basil. We make a meal out of it w/ bread and salad.

I like to cook in big batches and put some away in the freezer for latter so what ever I make needs to keep well in the freezer.

I'm looking for ideas. Any recipes, tips or suggestion are appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

JD

Chef John from all recipes and food wishes.com recommends not using fresh or frozen tomatoes. I'm not sure why. Is it t he extra work of the food mill? Or perhaps the wide variability of the tomatoes?

JD

156 views and no replies.

I'm guessing it's one of two issues.

Either it's too much work to use frozen gadded tomatoes to make soup,

or, it's so easy, no one wants to bother replying.

While do appreciate the consistency and qualities of canned San Marzanos, I refuse to waste my frozen garden tomatoes.

I'll roast them and run through the food mill. This will most likely be the most tedious procedure in the process. I realize I'll need to make recipe adjustments based upon the sweetness, acidity and how much liquid they contain. That will be the tricky part. I'm going to use all cherry tomatoes so I can get a feel for their quality and be consistant with my adjustments. 

I'll report out. 

JD

42 mins ago, rathrbefishn said:

I can't offer any advice but my wife loves the Progresso tomato basil.  I look forward to hearing how you fair

Ha!

So does my wife!

JD

If you want a real treat run some roasted red peppers through the mill to add to the soup. Nothing better then roasted red pepper and tomato soup. 

4 mins ago, poopdeck said:

If you want a real treat run some roasted red peppers through the mill to add to the soup. Nothing better then roasted red pepper and tomato soup. 

Thanks man!

Will try it for sure.

JD

On 1/16/2022 at 7:50 AM, poopdeck said:

Hey folks, I made it yesterday.

I used the Food Channel Jeff Mauro recipe as a starting place. I adjusted for portions and for the characteristics of my assorted frozen cherry tomatoes and of course increased the amounts, I always cook big.

I made roasted cherry tomato, roasted red pepper (also roasted shallot, carrot and garlic),and fresh basil bisque. I didn't use rice to thicken, it was thick enough, especially after the addition of the heavy cream. I used my killer roasted chicken, veggie and herb stock. I increased the amount of sherrie and gave it just a tiny hint of smoked chili kick. It's rich, savory, slightly sweet from the cherries. I will say, using the roasted frozen cherries and having to mill them did add some time and work. Obviously I enjoy the depth, character (umami) and complexity roasting ingredients adds. 

Poopdeck, you are right, the roasted red peppers is a nice addition. Thanks for the tip.

When I do a big cook, like a big batch of soup like this, we generally share it w/ friends & neighbors. Other than sharing some w/ our next-door neighbors who are always 1st to help us out when we need it, he just had hip replacement surgery, we're keeping this stuff. It's delicious.

Cheers!

JD

Ina Garten has a good roasted tomato basil soup recipe as well. Red peppers are definitely a plus. I’ve been using an immersion blender, but a food mill is definitely the way to go. Looking to get one. 

I made a batch last week that was good and love it with smoked provolone and sourdough grilled cheese. I reduced the leftovers down as tight as I could get it and am planning to use it in a vodka sauce with rigatoni tonight. 

Sooo….sweetcakes and I did some running around and grabbed a food mill this afternoon, that’s the only way to roll. I ran my former-soup-now-sauce through the mill and bingo, seeds gone. 

Next on the list is roasted butternut squash soup. Secret ingredient, eggnog….last of the season.

20 hours ago, Danthe said:

Ina Garten has a good roasted tomato basil soup recipe as well. Red peppers are definitely a plus. I’ve been using an immersion blender, but a food mill is definitely the way to go. Looking to get one. 

I made a batch last week that was good and love it with smoked provolone and sourdough grilled cheese. I reduced the leftovers down as tight as I could get it and am planning to use it in a vodka sauce with rigatoni tonight. 

Yes, I used an immersion blender too. It's one of the more useful kitchen gadgets I have.

Love the vodka sauce idea!

10 hours ago, Danthe said:

Sooo….sweetcakes and I did some running around and grabbed a food mill this afternoon, that’s the only way to roll. I ran my former-soup-now-sauce through the mill and bingo, seeds gone. 

Next on the list is roasted butternut squash soup. Secret ingredient, eggnog….last of the season.

I have a bunch of squash left. Eggnog you say?

JD

Glad you enjoyed it. Im a big tomato soup fan but after having roasted red pepper and tomato soup I can’t ever go back to just plain tomato soup. Okay that’s a lie, I will still eat tomato soup without the red pepper if I can’t find a red pepper. 

Saute onions and diced carrots.  Plenty of garlic. Use San marzano and chicken broth. A couple big roasted red peppers. Simmer and add cannelinni beans and seasonings. Puree about half and add back to the pot.